Author Topic: Where are the RPers? Or is it only my problem?  (Read 1036 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the RPers? Or is it only my problem?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 09:58:15 am »
Well, different people may interpret the same flag differently. What exactly would a "non-roleplayer" flag mean: Only avoiding superhero-supervillain-drama plots, or even avoiding any verbal contact at all? There is a span, and not everyone is close to the same end. Just one example for a possible source of accidental misunderstanding. Not to be nitpicked about.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:48 pm »
I highly doubt people that avoid 'superhero-supervillain-drama plots' would flag themselves as Non-RPers. I'm not a huge fan of those myself, but I still enjoy RPing. It simply means, for reasons I personally can't fathom, you're more interested in the actual gameplay on PS than the roleplaying (or as SAristo said, you're tweaking your description or managing items, etc).

Yes, it can be abused (admittedly when I played WoW I used an RP addon and flagged myself as 'immature roleplayer' to subtly poke fun at all the people who marked themselves 'mature roleplayers'), but so can placing items on the ground, writing in your description, the /sit command, and pretty much every feature in-game.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 04:10:10 pm »
Hello,

I do not always listen to the chat channel, but I always try to behave in a RP-like, for example in the way I speak to others. This has often led to spontaneous and very nice RP. If everybody tries to create the right atmosphere, much RP has been achieved without people having to ask for it.

Travel safely.

Gonger

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 01:24:21 am »
Hello,

I do not always listen to the chat channel, but I always try to behave in a RP-like, for example in the way I speak to others. This has often led to spontaneous and very nice RP. If everybody tries to create the right atmosphere, much RP has been achieved without people having to ask for it.

Travel safely.

Gonger

Gonger!!!   \\o//   \\o//   \\o//
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:59 am »
Hello,

Travel safely.

Gonger

Well-Stated, Gonger!  \\o//

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 02:35:40 pm »
In all seriousness though, I'd reverse the RP flag idea and make an 'OOC' flag that must explicitly be toggled on by the player.

An OOC flag would help in other situations as well. I would think of problems caused by spawn position of the character. Examples:
- Newly created character gets ingame the first time, but his story states he never left Ojaveda. He spawns in Hydlaa, and needs to physically get there (at least if no GM is available to help); on the way the character should be ignored ICly.
- Sometimes, a character can spawn in the middle of an ongoing RP after logging. This RP might have been different had they known the char would spawn there. (Say for example they were discussing secret stuff and the char was "sleeping" there. Had they known this, they would have talked elsewhere.) So then he should set that flag and move somewhere else.

But, that wouldn't help much if it was only shown on the /who command - it would have to be visible when seeing the char.

Seriously, I ran into this first problem every time I created a new char... and I had that second one happen at least once.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 10:37:40 pm »
Hello everybody. I have an idea about how to establish who is ready to RP and who is not. ...and it doesn't involve flags. When I RP elsewhere I basically end up RPing in mostly the same places since there aren't a lot of places to RP in relative peace in a non RP game. Perhaps it is time to do the same in PS. It's kind been hinted at so far but I will go ahead and outright propose it in this post.

How about picking meetup places in Amdeneir for people who are looking for certain types of RP? People need a more efficient means of finding RP if they can't do so by incidental occurrence or by going to players they already know. Oldbies in particular could use such things since they will often be coming back only to face a completely blank slate. Hardly anyone has the time, these days, for the long haul effort it takes to form a new RP group that you can go to in a pinch, especially with such a small player base. But in a place like Amdeneir, it's not the kind of place you just stumble into. You have to make a choice to go there and most people don't seem to go there often. Therefore, anyone you find there would be far more likely to be there for the purpose of rp.

All you would need is to pick certain places to meet for things like baddie RP, social RP, story driven RP, and so on. Then you could simply make arrangements to meet people there and anyone that is curious could go looking for people there or ask if anyone is there. I prefer not having to make such arrangements, but you have to stretch beyond your comfort zone sometimes. And from there, you could branch out to other places but it would at least let people meet up.

For the social people both "good" and "bad", they can head to the tavern. For the bad people that need to get stuff done, they can meet in the amphitheater that I believe will eventually lead to the slums. For the goodies that need to get stuff, they can meet by the message board, and so on. Basically, use the city of Amdeneir as your "looking for RP" flag and make use of what was a really cute city and a nice player initiative.

What do you say?

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 10:48:53 pm »
Aye! Hard to port, rack the starboard ores!
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell