Author Topic: An idea for Jayose's library,  (Read 158 times)

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
An idea for Jayose's library,
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:45:23 am »
I offered to post this for Yavan cause he doens't have forum access yet.  What do you all think? Suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks !
Roled

Yavan tells you: "Hi, I am Yavan and this is my suggestion. With all the new books being released and written in game that are being made available in the Jayose Library, it seems that Jayose could use a system for accessing his inventory. I see two main elements to be of the most help in this effort. First is a document with a map of each floor and all shelves with some simple A-Z labeling extendable to AA-ZZ or such if the shelf count is too high, or just label the walls and center rows, what ever sufices.  Second, a book with an index of all books with their basic map location. This should help attract more people as it is less time consuming to find the book of interest and read it in the time it currently takes to find the book that is desired. And to make it work, just permanently mount the maps / index to Jayose's desk or the table in the annex room behind him to his right.
As an option a separate book might be updated when large numbers of new books are added, to focus more attention, it all depends on the interest in some level of maintenance.
I hope this idea is found to be useful. Thank you."

Ideas?
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: An idea for Jayose's library,
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:02:07 am »
In real life fiction is sorted by name, but non-fiction is sorted by category (Dewey Decimal System).  I personally think sorting by category/subject makes more sense for Jayose's library as it makes it easier for someone (player or character) who is interested in a certain topic to access all of the information on that topic in one shelf and not have to run around the whole library tracking down the next book.

I am totally for the idea of a catalog of all of the books in the library and in what shelf they can be found.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:17:47 am »
Before I started pushing all these books out the library didn't have that much content. But with all these addition at some point I'm going to reorganize the whole place, once there are enough books to make it worth doing.

In the sort term I can add a book listing all the books and what floor they are on, that's pretty easy to do. I'm not much of a map drawer but if anyone want's to draw one and give it to me I'll keep it locked down and up to date.

V

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:19:35 am »
Indeed, searching for the matching shelf is a quite time-consuming and annoying part of using the library; of course, serendipity is a nice side effect of this lack of orientation — but at least labels above shelves would be useful. Unfortunately, that would probably mean replacing pre-modeled shelves by placeable shelf items. I remember there are GMs who always wanted spawnable bookshelf items...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:26:08 am »

Even just putting a sign up over each section by category would help.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:06 am »
We don't actually have any sign models we could use (excluding sign posts). I have an idea for one I'm going to ask Talad about making. And as always if anyone has time and motivation to make a few different sign models for us, please do.