Author Topic: Dangers of opensource  (Read 395 times)

karakth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dangers of opensource
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:37:08 am »
Being opensource as it is, wouldn\'t a good coder be able to cheat and provide cheat programs? You know, like a code that teleports you to a diamond. I want to know if the Devs have considered this and what we can do to stop someone from actually creating such codes.
~Karakth, Arcane Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 09:43:42 am »
For your answer you should have used the Search function; this issue has been raised many times before.

The devs are well aware of it by now. Some checks have been made serverside to ensure illegal movement of players or items is not possible. They also acknowledge the fact that cheating programs may still be made, and even welcome people to try; only in this way will they be able to find holes in their code and tighten security for the future.

karakth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 09:50:28 am »
Oh sorry about that.

Mental note: Start using search before starting threads and get to work on a cheat code :P
~Karakth, Arcane Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 10:46:48 am »
The idea that open source is less secure is a misnomer.   \'Security through  obscurity is not security\' is often a common saying.  Since even if the source is closed bugs/hacks/viruii can be made.  The idea with opensource stuff is that there is enough \'good\' people out there looking for bugs as there are people trying to cheat.  And when you think about it cheating in opensource games isn\'t really \'3l33t\' enough :).

Also we are trying to have a \'dumb\' client in that it just takes input and displays the screen.  The server is the decision maker on if you can pick up that diamond or not. Our toughest job is to make sure people cannot \'fool\' the server.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 10:51:03 pm »
That\'s logical, I had thought about these dangers myself, then realised that it\'s not really a problem.

I like Red Jelly Beans!