Author Topic: friends online  (Read 5107 times)

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2002, 11:52:59 pm »
i got disconneted from it

Kerrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2002, 09:00:07 pm »
Getting back on topic...
  I like your revised idea, Mustang. Forwarding messages would be good.
  And I agree with Kendrick - RS got boring for me because it was all about killing monsters, getting better armor, and gaining XP. Early on it was fun when all my friends used to hang out in the chat room, and we\'d do stuff together, but then they drifted away, and the overall attitude of the game became \"everyone for himself\".  
  There was a game I used to play where they had several different types of in-game communication: there were chat channels (channels where you could talk to other people who were playing), in-game chat (the usual \"talking to the person next to you\") private messaging, e-msging, group msging (just talking within a \"group\") and guild chat. Private msging is a definite must, and e-msging or letters would be really cool also. Guild chat would be very useful - that way, guild members could communicate during a brawl.
  I also know squat about programming, but I think putting up text on random surfaces, of random text strings, would take up a goodly amount of server space and be a pain to put in. I believe someone suggested having books in RS, and Andrew (the creator) said it would be too difficult and space-hogging to do. I could be wrong, though.

There is a world in which I am alone.
A world which nobody can enter.
A world which nobody can know.
This is my world.

- Anonymous.

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2002, 11:42:40 pm »
Also, you should be able to write letters at the \"post office\" and send them.

And thanks Antonio.

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2002, 11:51:21 pm »
There could be entire discussion chatboxes in game. but not ordinary chaboxes, they would only be in taverns. an d before you could start joining the discussion, you would first have to sit down and order a drink (kinda like logging in) This would result in entire taverns (the most popular ones) to be crowded with players having conversations sitting on tables. These Taverns would have rumour sounds and music playing on the background, and if in0game bards would be implemented even the voice of a performing bard. There could be a special \"drinking and talking\" animation for such particular situations, not making it have the looks of a meditation class.

I expect reactions.

Thekkur

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2002, 11:57:27 pm »
Reaction :-  COOL!!!    8)  Love it!!!!!!!!

OK?

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2002, 12:06:21 am »
You do have some good ideas.

So you mean that being in a tavern would almost be like being in a chat room? (when you\'ve bought your drink) Do you see this being one chat forum per tavern, or would you choose a group of people to join?

It certainly beats trying to be in a chat room, on AIM and Messenger and playing the game at the same time - I never did master the skill of talking to loads of people at the same time about different things in different places!

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2002, 12:10:23 am »
How about every table is a different chat thing?

So if Bob and Frank are sitting at table 3 and I join them, I am not now in a chat room with the entire bar but merely my table making each table a meeting place for a group of killers getting ready to strike, or for some government officials to have a few drinks and talk politics.

Same goes with the bar, which would be the most popular chat room in each bar of course because it has the coolest enviorment-bar stools and a wierd bartender.  :D

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2002, 12:20:03 am »
Sounds good. So the person who starts the chat would really have to have control of who joins the conversation, as you would want something like a plot to kill to be a private discussion. Just as in life I suppose, sometimes you would let a stranger join in the conversation other times you may wish to just talk with your friends in private.

I like the idea you suggested of the main bar being the main chat - open to everyone, and the tables could be for private discussions or smaller groups talking about specific topics.

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2002, 02:00:42 am »
It would be like:

You sit down.
You order an ale.
You ask \"Bob\" if he can join the conversation.
(waiting for answer)
Bob invites you to his conversation.
*chat screen appears*

And it could be like a see-through chat room with the pictures behind it being in real time (as in real time, game time). And the letters could be dark enough so its not like its hard to see the letters.

Ya know, what also should happen is have a coffee shop. But they call it \"Kareem\" or something like that. You can have some delicious local (local as in the kind made in that \"part of town\") finger foods or slices of some home made cake or something. There you could sit down. That place would be like a hang out place, but not as dirty and strange (and cool  :D ) as the local tavern.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2002, 02:02:49 am by Bill »

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2002, 02:57:36 am »
I was just wondering... If you meet a person while venturing the lands, how would you be able to talk to him if the closest tavern is like 5 miles away or something?  ?(

I mean... How about just making an overhead chat. Or a \"Main\" channel where everyone can talk to eachother, or be able to create private channels, where you can talk secretly about your plans to kill some enemies... Do you get the idea?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2002, 02:58:10 am by Kiva »
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2002, 03:22:10 am »
Well taverns would be controlled chat rooms.

Outside, there will (probably) be an over-head chat. You can just talk away and everyone can just read what you are saying.

And possibly a \"whisper\" mode could be turned on via a hotkey and directing at a person RIGHT NEXT TO YOU (not a mile away, or even 3 feet away, because you are WHISPERING) so you can the person can only hear each other.

Kerrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2002, 11:40:58 pm »
Don\'t worry, Grono, there will be ways to talk to people around you outside of taverns.
  For myself, I love that idea about making taverns in chat channels. I\'d say instead of making the tables separate channels, why not have booths and/or private rooms (you know, \"the room in the back\". If you think about it, anyone can eavesdrop on a bunch of people talking around a table, and it would cut down on people trying to butt in on your private convo. With the advent of the tavern chatroom, you could also hold events there, like \"karaoke night\" or \"story-telling night.\" These, I think, would serve to draw more people into the game, if for no other reason than to hang out, and it would encourage them to get involved and do a little role-playing.
This is my world.

- Anonymous.

ratdudett

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2002, 01:36:47 am »
i still think there should be a friends list and a pming system, and it should have a blocking list.

corsairk8

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2002, 07:52:13 pm »
Hmm, now that ive thought about it there are a few ideas I have, let me know what you think...

* An NPC that can tell you when people are online by you paying a small amount of gold. Possibly allowing you to speak telepathically.

* Mail system that automatically delivers to your house or place of residence so you dont have to constantly go into post offices like in the old style MUDS.

Kerrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2002, 12:01:16 am »
I don\'t know about the first idea, but I like the second one. If I had to find an NPC and pay him gold to find out if my friends were online, I probably wouldn\'t bother. Not to mention the fact that you\'d have the problem that plagues RS: NPCs being swamped by hordes of people wanting to talk to them. Even if you have a bunch of these people, there will be a LOT of players in game, and a good number of them are likely going to want to talk the NPCs at any given time.
This is my world.

- Anonymous.