Author Topic: friends online  (Read 5108 times)

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2002, 01:20:52 am »
Originally posted by Kerrick
  Don\'t worry, Grono, there will be ways to talk to people around you outside of taverns.
  For myself, I love that idea about making taverns in chat channels. I\'d say instead of making the tables separate channels, why not have booths and/or private rooms (you know, \"the room in the back\". If you think about it, anyone can eavesdrop on a bunch of people talking around a table, and it would cut down on people trying to butt in on your private convo. With the advent of the tavern chatroom, you could also hold events there, like \"karaoke night\" or \"story-telling night.\" These, I think, would serve to draw more people into the game, if for no other reason than to hang out, and it would encourage them to get involved and do a little role-playing.

Well done Kerrick, a very good idea indeed!

I like \"the room in back\" but I think eaves dropping should not be allowed.

And the booths would be a regular conversation. You can just sit down, but (you are notified of the \"leader\" of the conversation when you sit down) you can click the \"leader\" to ask if you can join the conversation and if he or she says yes the chat thing comes on so you can just chat away! If you are rejected you POSSIBLY could be asked to leave the table a.k.a. kicked out.

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2002, 05:26:03 pm »
I was already giving the idea of bards performing in these taverns. The whispering mode (talk to players nearby) mode would be quite nice, making the chatroom per table unncesary. If you want to, you can talk to people nearby, but normally you would talk to the entire tavern. (else chatting would be practicly impossible). There could be some small tables in the dark corners of the tavern, in which illuster figures (and GM\'s) could take place and watch the global conversations, or conspire in whisper mode.

Buying a drink would be necessary to be able to join the taverns chatroom. This allows GM\'s to be barman, and even players. Players could gain money by leading taverns, just because they get a small amount of money from everyone who wants to enter the chat. You could also buy meals in taverns, becasue you have to eat. don\'t you? ;)

The Barman (who would be channel operator too) could have the function of litteraly kicking someone out of his bar, and not allowing him in anymore.

The chatwindow could be a semi-transparent chat-bar that covers 1/3 of the screen. This allows you to actually SEE the others in the bar you\'re talking to. Certain bars would grow popular, and players might actually begin speaking about meeting eachother in a certain tavern before adventuring together.

Polycount could be a problem (20 1000poly characters in one room= 500.000 poly\'s a second, not even counting other objects in the room like chairs), but it could be solved by deviding the tavern into different parts. Ad allowing a maximum number of players per bar. (resulting in taverns beeing full, and you having to search for a nearby tavern).

Thekkur

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2002, 06:01:59 pm »
That sounds great, a good culmination of many of the good ideas posted :D

So how do you think a player would be successful in gaining control of a tavern i.e. being the landlord/lady? What would we have to do to achieve this over others trying to do the same???

(BTW you know I want control of one as soon as is humanly (or any other race) possible, don\'t you ;) )
« Last Edit: January 15, 2002, 06:02:25 pm by Kada-El »

whitti

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2002, 07:10:53 pm »
Maybe you could \'buy\' a bar/ pub or make your house into one! Beer Brewing could be a skill :D.

Thekkur

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2002, 07:38:05 pm »
Buying could be an option. An other option could be that we (dev\'s) allow such priviledges as buying a tavern to high level characters only. Those players are most dedicated and experienced in the game, and they often spend a lot of time online.

Most Taverns should be closed overnight (a night/day cycle could be as much as 10 hours a day (5 hours day, 5 hours night.) Thus night/day cycles would differ every day. one day it would be day at 3 am GMT realtime, the next day it would be night at the same time (2x 5 hours doesn\'t fit in 24 hours, so it would cycle). This would allow players from all around the world to be online sometimes at day, and sometimes at night.

Some particular taverns could be open though at night, but those would be the roughest, in which you have the most chance to get pickpocketed. (a feature that takes away small items using a calculation, which depends on the time you\'re in a bar, the riskfactor of a tavern, and the amount of valuable items you bear)  It would be up to the tavernkeep to decide wheter he runs a low-risk tavern or a skumbar. low-risk bars would be more expensive, high risk bars would be far-out cheap and would be visited most by poor players, skum, and player killers.

Thekkur

Kerrick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2002, 07:54:12 pm »
Ooh I like :D The idea of having \"dives\" is really good. There should be areas where you don\'t want to go alone at night, where the \"bad guys\" have out and weave their plots. I also like the 10 hour days, for the reason you stated above - that everyone can get a chance to come in at different hours.
  Sorry to steal your thunder about the bard idea - I forgot you\'d posted that already. My idea came from another game I played for awhile - they actually did those things.
There is a world in which I am alone.
A world which nobody can enter.
A world which nobody can know.
This is my world.

- Anonymous.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2002, 09:02:50 pm »
Have a buddy list - cause you remeber your buddies names

and ASK THE NPC\'s if they\'ve seen your buddies around.

just another idea into the slew

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Bill

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2002, 09:09:27 pm »
Thekkur wrote:

I was already giving the idea of bards performing in these taverns. The whispering mode (talk to players nearby) mode would be quite nice, making the chatroom per table unncesary.

Whispering could only work to one person, and they have to be RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. And I mean RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. As in not even having to move an inch to be staring them in the face. Because when you whisper to someone (in real life) you are not whispering a few feet away or accross a room, you are usually right next to each other. Thus making the chatrooom per table neccessary.

In other words, COME ON I REALLY WANT TO BE AbLE TO CHAT IN THE TAVERN, IT WOULD BE SO COOL!

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2002, 09:18:29 pm »
another thought - PM\'ing has to be in the game however unrealistic it is.  If it is not there, everyone will be forced to use other IM programs, and it would get very frustrating.

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

ArchSummoner

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
A way of making money
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2002, 01:33:26 am »
This isn\'t really about pm\'s and chatting, but about what kerrick said about bards performing.... there should be a character class which ppl can choose, called bard.. and they perform in taverns and bars and get paid by NPC\'s or maybe some players if necessary.

if u have any ideas of how to perform as a bard plz reply :)  

and.... can anyone plz tell me how to put a signature