Author Topic: Guide to Role-Play  (Read 16154 times)

Gellule

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2005, 10:07:13 pm »
I would like to come back to the conjunction issue. I have some hard time to understand what you are talking about. Maybe some examples comparing the \"with conjunction\" and the \"without conjunction\" of the same situation would help me (and my English)...

Thanks,
Gellule Hokuloa - Forever scout in The Explorers Guild

-- are back!

XpYtZ

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 05:00:46 am »
Sorry there I was away in Canada for a while and I leave the computer behind when I go on vacation.
Here is a list:
  • \'it is\' vs. it\'s
  • \'we are\' vs. we\'re
  • \'who is\' vs. who\'s
  • \'that is\' vs. that\'s

The rule is: when combining (verbs?) terms like you see above you drop the preceding vowls and replace them with an \'
It can get confusing though since \"its\" denotes that something belongs to a genderless item where as with most of English adding an \'s (or s\' in the case of a word ending with an \"s\" ) denotes ownership (I.E. \"It\'s Sara\'s hat.\" ) Like everything else in English it\'s (note \"it is\" ) more or less played by ear. Mistakes will happen and people will point and laugh. Then you will knife them :]

As an aside, I see no point in not using it when done properly. It just bothers me to see people who can\'t speak without it and attempt to be In Character while using modern English. Incenjucar had it the right way round, there is a time and a place. I\'m all for conjuctions and short-words when the situation calls for it...or the character...The conjunction rules that I included, so long ago, were for the ovewhelming number of people that used it poorly who were flooding the community.
I see alot more of it done properly now. There may be a rewrite for today\'s more prominent issues.

P.S. Anyone who knows the proper terms can feel free to correct me. Hell I barely made it through the post.

Gellule

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 01:12:45 pm »
I think I still have a hard time understanding. Tell me if I can get it right.

Written english vs. spoken english:

Gellule turns to the sign on the door of the library: \"It\'s written It is possible to read books in the library since they are available \"
Gellule turns to XpYtZ: \"Indeed! It\'s possible to read books!\"

Emphasing:

Gellule asks XpYtZ about reading books in the library: \"It\'s not possible to read the books in the library, right?\"
XpYtZ: \"You\'re wrong! It is possible!\"

If you speak always use the short phrase unless you want to emphasize the verb. If it is written english, always use the expanded version.
Gellule Hokuloa - Forever scout in The Explorers Guild

-- are back!

eroles

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2005, 03:21:56 am »
This would be a perfect walkthrough if it werent for the fact that the game is severely unfinished. Too many features are unfinished to actually get into the world For instance I would love to be a master blacksmith but as of yet the feature is completely unsupported.
The other thing is please dont act ignorant of the outside world when someone is out of character, it makes you seem like a rude fanatic. Just explain the basics. If you run new players off, the game will eventually die.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2005, 04:33:44 am »
Greetings,

It is perfectly possible to roleplay a master blacksmith - no game mechanics are actually necessary, they just make it easier. That\'s why it is roleplay ;) You can be whatever you want to be, as long as you keep it within the \"decently realistic\" bounds.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

XpYtZ

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2005, 04:30:48 pm »
Sorry I was ouot so long.
I\'ll only address this point.
Originally posted by eroles
The other thing is please dont act ignorant of the outside world when someone is out of character, it makes you seem like a rude fanatic. Just explain the basics. If you run new players off, the game will eventually die.

If I forgot to mention the use of /tells or an OCC channel for helping players get \'into character\' and keeping the main channel properly set up then I do appologize. Though I would have to agree that those who \'act\' ignorant and don\'t move it to the OCC channels are seldom truly acting.

Bebel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 05:49:51 am »
Play as you want , speak as you want but be respectfull to other ....
Just don\'t blame on people like I who is not good in english and who is speaking like \"Hulk\" in game
The evil is like an iceberg.
The Dark Empire is the little floating part you can see, but below this, there is a huge part...

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 10:49:32 am »
One thing that always seems to be overseen when talking about language is that planeshift is international, not just england or america, my point is that it is incredible hard for someone (like me) to decipher or speak in certain slangs, plainly because the knowledge of the base language is insufficent. Therefore, you can\'t really require from an say austrian to perfectly speak Shakespeerean english ....
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Nightflyer0ne

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2005, 05:23:11 pm »
Since we\'re discussing grammar and proper English, I should point out (purely as an FYI, not a slam or anything) that a \"conjunction\" is a small joining word such as: and, or, but. A word that is a combination of 2 other words, minus some letters and joined with an apostrophe is a \"contraction\".

As for spelling out dialects, I\'d say less is more. You can get the idea of a certain dialect across without having to make it so \"thick\" an accent as to be very hard to read. I\'d come up with an example, but my brain seems to be frozen at the moment :P oh well....

Nightflyer
Giving my multiple personalities some playground space, one alt at a time. ;)

Gripen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 01:43:50 pm »
This guide IS a vert good guide for role play, with exceptions.

First, the proper language angle. It would certainly depend on a person\'s education and social atmosphere--contractions would be quite normal for most classes of characters I\'ve seen in PS. Contractions are in fact from the fact that most people actually spoke improperly. So, unless your character is haughty-taughty (high taught or arrogant) proper English would be ooc.

2nd, is neutral. In real life most people are actually neutral to the most degree, however, this isn\'t real life, so there are those who are Legal (supporting the system of government or the status quo) and those who are chaotic (for whatever reason, they may switch alignment in any given situation--according to how their current gestalt persuades them). Neutral, is for those who cannot support hurting people for no reason, but also do things that are not good (they may be happy drunks, or occasionally compromise their intentions during desperate times).
To me, a character being of the extremes of the alignment spectrum is a cop out, because it is easy to be this character simply by blocking out all other opportunities to be otherwise.

3rd, is that the real person playing the character, may not have a college education to know how to write proper English, or they may be disabled in some way so the shortest possible response is desired by them. Perhaps, they haven\'t even learned their keyboard.

Still, I agree with your rpg values and ideals, and I thank you for the guide--being that I have never actually done true rpg (but I like adventuring, even tho they get called rpg).

Thank-you xpytz (pronounced spits in English)

defender43

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 10:22:38 pm »
Crimsonn\'s a Paladin who\'s too cowardly and too stupid and too clumsy to be knightly... he\'s kind of one big screw-up after another... so he\'s more of a Paladinic squire, really. And about the right age.
\"Impossible is in the eye of the beholder.\" -- Laredo Silverspring.
\"Huh?\" -- Crimsonn Draycko.

Belark

(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 02:36:33 pm »
Love it:) I knew about roleplay but not that it was so \"lawful\":D

I guess i\'ll start playing a good guy, as i\'ve always fir into that roll:)

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to Role-Play
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 09:07:39 pm »
A good guideline to use would be: "Talk like the NPC that's most like your character."

Lleu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2006, 04:36:09 pm »
Thanks. That's a great guide. One problem: A conjunction is a word that joins to phrases together (and, but, or, nor, for, yet.)  Contractions are those things with the "'".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 05:44:18 pm by Lleu »

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 12:36:55 am »
i don't see it's we're and so on as non rp words. And i do do the ' 's but it's just that, when i do i also hit enter sometimes. Now if you can't use the ' 's then don't use it's we're............. don't strackt them together :).
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account