Author Topic: Allergies  (Read 529 times)

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Allergies
« on: September 26, 2004, 05:48:24 pm »
Would it not be interesting for characters to have allergic reactions to things in-game, such as, say, stings of certain insects or certain kinds of food? This could be chosen to be either completely random or a specific allergy could be chosen at character creation. Of course, it might have interesting consequences if one were to be allergic to Enrikudai...

Possible symptoms of an allergic reaction could include the usual we find over there in RL. Or simply loss of control over your character, as it tries to escape, fighting ability severely dimminished (not to mention crafting, magic, etc.). Perhaps even death could be a consequence.

If allergies were to be implemented, they would of course be an extreme annoyance. However, it would cause players to have to make more careful, and sometimes unique, decisions for their characters.

Certain races could be allergic to different things than other races. Whether members of one race could be allergic to members of another entire race is another matter. Personally, I think it would be an excessively irritating burden. If a bit amusing.

Treating allergies would perhaps be to take some sort of special medicine to enable them to either survive contact with the item that induces an allergic reaction or simply go through an area that is full of that particular item. Other treatments could be used as well, although I personally am too lazy to think of any more.

Pros:

Realistic
Powerful characters with allergies have great weakness - diminsihing their power
Requires more deliberate decision-making skills
(Insert new pro here)

Cons:

Annoying hinderance
Really annoying hinderance
(Insert new con here)

Comments?
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

PlaneWalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 05:58:25 pm »
Actually a similar system is implemented for metal.  However other types of allergy might be burdensome to implement and have.  RPG is a role-playing game, which should allows players to interact with each other with minimal unncessary barriers.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 06:10:25 pm »
Originally posted by Wormtail_
Cons:

Annoying hinderance
Really annoying hinderance

Thats pretty much what I thought of when I read it. Sorry, I think the cons outweigh the pros. Im going to have to give it a thumbs down.

Smokk Duranus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 06:36:25 pm »
An enkidukai allergic to fur now that would be a laugh! but yeah i agree with Icefalcon the cons outweigh the pros.

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 06:38:13 pm »
I personally like the idea. I think that it would add the the roleplaying. Imagine what would happen if someone\'s nemisis (sp?) found out their weakness.

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 06:43:21 pm »
Allergies can be roleplayed.  There is no need to hardcode them into the game.

If everyone was given a random allergy, you\'d have a lot of really pissed-off, annoyed people.  I have several allergies in real-life, and quite frankly I\'m tired of them.  Why should I have to repeat that experience in a game?
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

Exuro Interficio

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 06:45:05 pm »
what if allergic reactions were different than that of RL. I remember seing in a yoshi game(i think yoshi\'s island) that there was a level in which if you hit a cloud of some sort, all the controls would be shuffled, and you would have to hit another cloud(in this case take an antidote) or unscramble the controls yourself. So if i was allergic to leather, and i wore leather armor, my \"strafe\" button might be shuffed and it would be what was my \"drink potion\" button. but if another time i wore leather armor, my strafe might be attack button, instead of what it was previously.
hv down in flames..

Originally posted by RussianVodka
Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.
That is so true

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 08:08:10 pm »
OK, I know that character creation is going to be different, but I think allergies could be a disadvantage, maybe there could be strange effects from allergies like increased & decreased magic abilities, randomly cast spells without glyphs that can backfire, or turn purple spots. some people may want to have allergies for there changing colors effects? who knows what reactions whacked out immune-systems in Yliakum will be. 8)

& Why stop @ allergies, what if we had auto-immune-response-system for monsters attacking you like reflexes, maybe possible allergic reactions to certain monsters can include growing extra arms for short periods of time or increased strength or increased running speed?

8) btw, I have allergies & Asama, any kind of scented soup body wash or perfume makes me sneeze violently. I can\'t take a shower after my sister because she uses scented soap & all that. even hand soaps & scented tissues lol.

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 09:39:07 pm »
I like the idea, work on the details of it. How would the allergies be? Will they be random at character select or you get to choose your allergies?

Like my philosophy, morph the idea but keep the same principle.
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 10:26:41 pm »
You people will make the details in this down to the last little grain of sand until the game will be doing the rping for you. I say leave out all these little things and let us rp it. Later, if no one does it and people want it i guess we could put it but not yet. Let us see how many of us wiill rp.
Lol Internet

Exuro Interficio

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 10:27:30 pm »
i really like the idea. i like all the ideas with realism.

and i know it sucks to have allergies, because i have dust allergies. but its not as bad as zph or monketh\'s allergies. i also have constant congestion, which is another reason for my allergies, but im going off topic so ill stop typing :).
hv down in flames..

Originally posted by RussianVodka
Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.
That is so true

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 08:43:28 pm »
Time to bump this topic back to the top.

Anyway, I think that the allergies should be chosen at character creation, so as to avoid complaints from people who don\'t want to have allergies in-game. Perhaps the amount of points you invest on the allergy disadvantage (or rather how much you gain from them) could decide what you were allergic to and how severe the reacion is. For example, if you only get a small amount of points, the allergic reaction would be there, but not that troubling. And maybe you won\'t be allergic to something that is common.

Allergic reactions could be the ones that I have in my main topic, and/or similar to the ones that Zeraph described.

I severely doubt that people are going to have their characters act as if they have allergies on their own initiative if it\'s unnecessary - it\'s just too much of a hassle.

Comments? Corrections? Clarification?
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!