Author Topic: BItTorren Download  (Read 4077 times)

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
BItTorren Download
« on: October 02, 2004, 01:19:45 pm »
This is just something to help with the bandwith when CB becomes available.  Just make the game into a Torrent file and then show people where to get BitTorrent.  I would gladly help do this, but it would be hard because I have a slow download, so by the time I got the torrent up, most people would already be downloading.  

BItTorrent

Everything need can be found there.  This is mainly directed toward the Devs, and they may already know about it.  It would GREATLY reduce your bandwith though, because the more people that are downloading, the more people are uploading.  It\'s a great system, and it can provide extremely fast speeds for popular downloads.  Remeber though, leave it open after your downloads are complete.  Help other people downloading to.  If your not gonna be home and don\'t mind leaving your computer on, open up the torrnet and just upload to people.  If nobody participates, then this will not work well.

BitTorrent works with anyfiles, and is very simple to use.  If you need anymore help, just ask.

EDIT:
I\'m not sure if my post clearly says it.  It will help with CLIENT download bandwith, not gameplay bandwith.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 01:21:08 pm by Mezasa »
X2 3800+ (2.5GHz) | eVGA 7900GT (500/1500) | 2GB XMS (210MHz)
Audigy2 ZS | A8N SLI Premium | 250GB SATAII | TT Tsunami

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 01:57:14 pm »
I think they might be planning on doing that already,

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 02:31:28 pm »
Well, I was just downloading some stuff, and thought this would be good for them.  I didn\'t know if they already had it planned or not.  For people who use P2P prgrams, this is a better solution for you guys.
X2 3800+ (2.5GHz) | eVGA 7900GT (500/1500) | 2GB XMS (210MHz)
Audigy2 ZS | A8N SLI Premium | 250GB SATAII | TT Tsunami

druke

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 03:29:18 pm »
bit torrent isn\'t p2p

my how times have changed.....

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 03:38:10 pm »
I\'ll probably be downloading turruts & stuff, I\'ll probably put it on a p2p if I can & you can get it from me but I am not sure...

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 05:44:21 pm »
BitTorrent would probably be a _necessity_ I daresay during the intital public release... most defintely should have one.
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Levski

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 07:08:45 pm »
I hope it won\'t be the only way to download CB since I do not use such programs...
Ingame name:  Nuv Cerdyn  ~   Member of: The Blitzers Guild

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 07:16:07 pm »
Peer-2-peer? I though BitTorrent was. I may be wrong though. I think using BitTorrent would be great. I would really help out the 56Kers with the automatic resume download.

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 07:21:24 pm »
They are easy & free to use, you just download the client then click the link, then it starts downloading the file............ :D

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 08:57:57 pm »
bit torrent isn\'t p2p

BitTorrent IS P2P. The whole concept is that the people downloading share the pieces that they have already downloaded with the other downloaders. People who do not have their firewall setup to allow incoming connections on BitTorrent ports are given a lower priority and thus download slower. There was a Bit Torrent thread before, but I suspect that it has been deleted.

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 04:34:54 am »
We have ofcourse discuessed this matter.
What\'s the usall time before we have a forum post commenting the news? From 5-10 min.

That means if we say CB is 300MB, there will perhaps be 10 persons downloading the first 1-5 min, then it will raise VERY quickly. Which would give a download rate of SKB (Seconds per kilo byte).

So using some sort of P2P is nessecary indeed

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 05:43:03 am »
torrent is a great system to use.
Problem with torrents (and all other p2p programs) is that you need enough recources to be able to download the file with a good speed.

To get enough seeders and start the distribution of the file, the file should be released 1 week before the official release date.
When you release the file in a password protected rar-package, ppl will start downloading it and sharing it on a big scale. This way p2p will start working like it should be.
On the release date, you just publice the password on the site and ppl can start playing CB :)

They used this system 2 weeks ago for the (1,6gig big) Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield. It was very succesful!

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 08:30:38 am »
And how many people will just get a rar password cracker?? :P

Edit: Haha. beat you :D

Edit2: Well, if they made a 16 char/digit/special char password, then it would hold out for a week unless someone here has some overkill PC (More than mine ;)).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 08:34:41 am by Xordan »

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 08:31:22 am »
Xolon that whole password protection thing is a really good idea in my view, but what if people cracked the password?

I like Red Jelly Beans!

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 09:42:12 am »
most rar passwoord crackers are for the old version of winrar.

besides that, you need a big list of \'possible words\' which the crack then uses to find the password.  
This means that if you make a pass like:  .:CB-have_fun:. will become very hard to crack, if not impossible :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:43:42 am by Xolon »