Author Topic: Chain of Souls, revised.  (Read 7905 times)

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 11:04:34 am »
Originally posted by Under the moon
Ps. Thanks for the *****  whoever you are.  

It really deserves more than that

I dunno how to make those stars.

Just keep on like this.
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 8, The Price of Betrayal
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 01:29:38 am »
~The Price of Betrayal~
chapter eight

- The next few days brought one surprise after another. First, I discovered that I no longer needed to sleep. The Den’feire had changed me in some way. The second came as even more of a shock. Burgas informed us that this world, Yliakum, existed entirely underground, ruled by two gods. One being Laanx, the other, Talad. At the mention of Talad, Yamuel began laughing uproariously, calling him a blundering fool and worse. He fell silent, however, as we met the first of the enormous, man-like, stone-skinned creatures Burgas called Kran. Other races soon began crossing our path as we journeyed nearer to civilization. Humans, like Sabrene and I, though some of them dressed oddly, and their faces were a ghostly white.. Elves and Lemurs, looking almost human, but with skin colors never seen on any human. Lithe Enkidukai, with cat-like movements and looks. One race, called Klyros, even had serpentine features and small wings. Others like Burgas, Ellese, and Yore appeared. Dwarves and Diaboli. Ree’ann seemed to sink deeper into herself with every passing Diaboli, every one with the same coal-black skin. Even Sabrene began to look at her with worry. Ree’ann followed me meekly as I took her aside as we stopped for the third day.
- “Tell me what is wrong, Ree’ann. You can’t go on like this.”
- She glanced at a passing Diaboli who carried a large pack piled high with pelts. Her eyes squeezed shut to block out the sight. “I can’t look at them any more,” she said, her voice small and plaintive, “It would have been better if you killed me.” There was no feeling of wrongness, she meant every word.
- “How can you mean that?”
- “Look at me, Cassaren. What do you see?” Her face was unchanged from the first time I saw her except for dark puffy rings under her eyes.
- “I see a beautiful woman who has been crying herself to sleep every night.” I paused. “You need to know I don’t blame you for what I did. I don’t know if I would have done differently. You don’t have to fear me anymore. Now please tell me what is wrong.”
- She paused before answering, her hands clenched together at her waist. “I
I am hungry.”
- “You should be. You haven’t eaten once since I met you. If that is all
”
- She began shaking her head as soon as I began speaking. “No
you don’t understand. I never before had to eat. My power sustained me. Don’t you see? It is gone
I am mortal.” She was afraid, but not of me. Her eyes searched mine. “Please
I need to know why.”
- “I don’t know if I have the answers, Ree’ann.”
- “Try
please. I beg you.”
- My heart went out to her. Her whole world was gone, with nothing left to hang on to. I looked to where Sabrene sat with Burgas and one of the large Kran. She laughed and slapped the Kran on the leg. She looked so beautiful. I couldn‘t imagine what I would do without her. “There may be a way,” I said, beginning to work out how to do it in my mind. I am not sure how, but the knowledge just came to me. ‘Will it work?’ I thought to Yamuel, but he only grumbled in response. ‘Will it?’ I asked again, reaching for the gold link.
- YeS, Yamuel spat reluctantly.
- “Take my hand, Ree‘ann” I held out my hand, letting a few links fall into my palm out of their covering. “You must be touching the chain.” She did as I said, but her hand trembled, and there was more than a little fear in her eyes. We sat on the ground facing each other. “You must stay calm.” I began gently drawing a small part of her Aura into the Den’feire as I entered the trance. After a long silence, I heard a bird chirp and smiled. A Fleepicker, only native to my own world. I opened my eyes. My back rested against the big ironleaf tree down the path from my house. Ree’ann sat across from me, staring in amazement.
- “How did you
the Den’feire?” Worry formed on her face.
- “You are safe,” I told her, letting go her hand, “I want you to meet someone.” I nodded behind her.
- She turned her head and gasped. Yamuel stood a little down the path, his huge smile showing tiny, sharp, white teeth. “Ree’ann,” he said, caressing her name.
- With a wordless cry, Ree’ann leaped to her feet and ran to him. He dropped to his knees to catch her with all four arms. For a long time they remained that way, Ree’ann’s head not even reaching his shoulders. She looked almost like a child in his massive, blue arms.
- “I am sorry,” Yamuel told her, his deep voice full of regret.
- “Why?” Ree’ann looked up at his face. There were tears in her eyes again, but from joy.
- “I know why he brought you here and it pains me.”
- “I
don’t need to know.”
- “You do. Please, my heart, sit.”
- I made soft cushions appear beneath them as they sat. Yamuel looked at me gratefully. “You do learn quickly. Please stay, you should hear this also,” he said as I began to get up. I nodded and leaned back against the soft bark of the tree. Yamuel took a deep breath.
- “You know that you are mortal now, but you don’t know the reason. For you to understand this, I must first tell you how it began
 Ages upon ages ago, I became disillusioned with others of my kind, Ancients, placing themselves above the lesser races, demanding to be worshipped as gods. Many of them cared nothing for those below them, only using them for their amusement. One faction of Ancients took even greater pleasure in the suffering of mortals than the others, though they tried to keep their dealings secret from those of us with kinder hearts. That is until they discovered a isolated world of people unknown to any of us. The people you know as Diaboli. The Ancients set themselves up as gods and began demanding sacrifices. As generations passed, these new ‘gods’ grew more and more vicious and vile in their demands, inciting wars and unspeakable atrocities. Death and plague swept through the people, causing such suffering their cries could be heard across the cosmos. All of the Ancients heard their pleas, but to my great sadness, only I responded. I was shocked and sickened by what I found.” Yamuel‘s jaw clenched in anger, fury lit his eyes as the stars boiled. “I can not even speak of the worst I saw. Nothing remained of the once rich, green world, only a blackened, smoldering husk, the vast populous reduced to a ragged smattering of cowering refugees. My brethren,” he spat out the word like a curse, “had grown mad with bloodlust and power. It was no longer enough for them to have the people kill for them. They now walked among them, torturing and slaughtering, drenched in the blood of their victims. I flew into a rage, casting my power down on them. I gave them what they had given their people, death and destruction. In panic, the vile ones tried to cover what they had done, placing a sickness on the people. One so devious even I could not cure it. They began to die and the mere presence of an Ancient -or anything blessed by one- caused them an even more agonizing death. But I found a way around the curse, doing something no other had ever done before. I gathered the Auras of the Ancients I had slain and imbued them into the people, turning them into ‘gods’ themselves. I was only able to save a few hundred of them, half men and half women. One of the young women was with child. The only child left to their dieing race. Sadly, not even the power of the Ancient’s Aura could keep the mother alive as she gave birth to a daughter. A daughter born with the power of the Ancients, never to know the hardships of mortality.” Yamuel looked at the gray woman and stroked her hair. “When a mother dies giving birth to a daughter, it was the tradition of your people to give her name to her newborn . Your mother’s name was Ree’ann.”
- “You never told me any of this, none of you did,” Ree’ann spoke softly.
- “Your people wished that at least one of their kind would know peace, so they sheltered you from that past, blessing you with ignorance. Their last child.”
- “Last?” I asked, “What of her twin?”
- Yamuel shook his head. “Ree’ann was the only child to be born to them. Your ancestors created ‘Ann’ree’ to hide the truth from your own people.” Yamuel touched Ree’ann’s cheek. She closed her eyes and held his hand.
- “The truth?” I began to wonder if I had ever been told the truth. Ree’ann met my eyes.
- “That I loved a monster.”
- “Then who..?” I didn’t know where to start. Nothing made sense anymore.
- “..Created the Dentali spears?” Yamuel finished for me. “I did.” He chuckled at the astonishment that must have painted my face. “Even with the Auras in them, Ree’ann and her people were still far weaker than my brethren, who disapproved of what I had done. I feared my enemies would punish me by hurting them, so I used the power of the Den’feire to make the spears. The Den’feire is older and more powerful than even the greatest Ancient, so its power gave the Dentali the ability to kill even them. I was content that my people would be safe. They trained day and night, swearing to never again fall under the sway of another god. Ree’ann trained hardest of all, though she did not know the reason. After generations of caring for your people, I grew to love Ree’ann and found that she returned my feelings.”
- Ree’ann gave him a small smile. “It took over three hundred years of hard training before you would forget me as a little girl and see me as a woman. I finally had to just tell him my feelings. I’m glad that isn’t the way it is between Sabrene and you.”
- I coughed and cleared my throat. Yamuel gave me a knowing grin, flashing those tiny, sharp teeth again. He knew that was exactly how it had been. He let the grin slide with a long breath.
- “Ree’ann knows this next part, but you need to hear it.” Ree’ann turned her head away, I could see tears already forming. “I believed I had destroyed all of the vile Ancients, but a few of them escaped. They began to plot with my most powerful enemies. In secret, they formed the black helm, wrapping it in the illusion of a gold wedding circlet.”
- I remembered the gold and silver plated circlets hanging above the fireplace. My parents only wore them on special occasions, my mother the silver, the gold to my father. They had been wearing them the last time I saw them. Yamuel must have seen my thoughts.
- “Yes, it was on the day of our marriage that my brethren betrayed me. They gifted Ree‘ann with the circlet, knowing she knew nothing of our feud. The evil was so well hidden that I never felt it until we placed the circlets on each other’s brows. It was at that moment the helm revealed its true form. It used my own power against me. I became the Yamuel from your legends, summoning my armies of shadow. That much is true. The Diaboli had grown to love your people as I had, and tried to protect them, but my armies were to great in number.” Yamuel stopped as Ree’ann placed a hand on his arm. He looked into her eyes and nodded after a short pause.
- “We couldn’t die, but your people could,” she continued where he left off, “They were peaceful and had no way to protect themselves. We tried to draw the power of the Den’feire as Yamuel had, but we lacked his skill to make weapons. Instead, we used it to change some of the people themselves, instilling them with the same gift as the chain, to absorb and destroy the Auras of our enemies. Together, we began to win the fight, pushing the shadows deep into the earth. When the beast learned of this, he razed all that he saw in fire and death. After he calmed, he ordered the Diaboli to cast down their arms and leave his world, or he would burn it to ash. My people had no choice but to obey. They left the Dentali and your world to return to their homeland, hoping to start anew. But I could not leave all I knew and loved behind. I stayed, studying the chain, hoping to find a way to bring him back to me. But I didn’t have that power. As a last resort, I gave the Den’feire to ten of my best Lura’fen. I dressed in that trull’s outfit you first saw me in to try to seduce and distract the beast. With attention on me, the Lura’fen were able to come upon him unawares and ensnare him with the chain. As they drew his Aura, I bound my own to his. That is the last I know. We were supposed to die together.” She put her face in her hands as Yamuel wrapped an arm around her.
- “Be strong, my little one,” he whispered. When he looked back to me his eyes were filled with such sadness it made my heart ache. He had more to say, and by his expression, none of it was good. “The trap did not work completely. The Lura’fen were too slow. Before they could draw my entire Aura, the beast realized what had happened. He lashed out with his power, killing the Lura’fen and stripping the Ancient’s Auras away from the Diaboli, making them mortal again. I don’t know what became of them after that. Ree’ann alone still possesses some of the Ancient’s powers, because she had bound her Aura and the Aura inside her to me and the Den’feire, partially protecting it from the backlash. But not enough to keep her from becoming mortal. There is no way to change that anymore. I’m sorry.” He paused again, the sadness deepening. “There is one more thing you need to hear, my love. I am
fading. The Den’feire is slowly consuming me.” Ree’ann began to shake her head, but he caught her chin gently in his great hand. “You know the power of the chain. It is only a matter of time before I cease to exist.”
- “No
there has to be
”
- Yamuel let her go and sighed. “There is only one way, and I will not take it. My life is worth no more than any other.” He turned to me as she buried her face in his arm. “There is something you need to hear also. There is no kind way to say it.” The pain of his words was plain. “Sabrene is dieing.”
- My heart felt like it stopped in my chest, or was ripped out.
- “It is the reason she wouldn’t wake until you called her Aura. The stress of her Joining and binding the Den’feire has taxed her Aura to its limit. She would be able to heal, but there is a power in this world preventing it. The same power that bound the Den’feire to your body and also created the Lemur and Kran beings. Unless you can take her away from it, she will one day fall into a sleep she will not wake from. Her Aura will fade, and she will die.”
- I didn’t know what to say, how to react. I felt numb
empty.
- “You should go now. They are waiting. I have more to tell you when you return.”
- I nodded woodenly as the trance slipped away leaving darkness behind. I felt Ree’ann’s Aura pull back into her body and opened my eyes to see her doing the same. She let go my hand and was suddenly in my arms, hugging me tight.
- “Thank you,” she whispered in a tear filled voice. She sat back and looked around. Yore and Sabrene stood a few steps away. Her hand was on his arm holding him back. Ree’ann quickly wiped her tears and stood. “I am fine, Yore,” she told the black skinned man. “Though I am a bit hungry.” She extended an arm to him. “If you don’t mind?”
- The scowl Yore directed at me became a triumphant grin as he took her arm. “I’m sure we have something befitting a Lady.” Ree’ann gave Sabrene and I a last look before Yore led her away. It was a sad look.
- “What was that all about?” Sabrene asked, that tone back in her voice. I could swear she was trying to set me on fire with her eyes. Her beautiful eyes. Slowly the look faded to concern as I stood silently. “What is it?”
- I knew I couldn’t tell her. This was my pain alone to bare. “Nothing, Sabrene.” I took her hands and kissed her fingers. “You are here, and that’s all that matters. Let’s go see if that Kran is half as good a cook as he claims to be.” The big Kran was showing Ree’ann something leafy before tossing it into a large pot with what I suppose was a proud grin.
- “His name is Jakkar,” she said and gave me a wicked little smile, “And I’d rather he could sew a dress. You wouldn’t believe some of the
compliments I’ve been getting on my
armor.”
- A grin crept across my own face. “Remember when you first showed me your armor, and I said ‘I’ve seen better’
I lied.”
- Sabrene put her finger on my nose and gave it a little flick. “I know,” she said, her smile growing bigger. She turned and walked over to the others in the way only a woman can walk. I began wondering where a man could get a silver circlet. Burgas would know. My smile faded. If there was still time.

End of chapter eight.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:04:02 pm by Under the moon »

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 06:11:09 pm »
Interesting enough, good job ^^ Although it would be abit better in paragraphs etc..

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 9, Under the Azure Sun
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 04:49:39 am »
~Under the Azure Sun~ part one
chapter nine

-Two massive bronze doors -The Bronze Doors as Burgas called them- stood open before us, streaming in an odd bluish light. Like moonlight, only a hundred times brighter, nearly as bright as my own sun. People of every race walked through the doors, coming and going, all armed. Some stopped to procure empty carts like ours from a long line before passing into the dark. The crowd was large enough to become quite a hassle, but was kept orderly by a group of heavily armored guards, half of them Kran. Burgas exchanged a few words with one of them and showed him some papers. The guard checked the bodies beneath the blankets, comparing them to the papers before nodding and signaling the Kran. One of the stone men brought over a large ironbound chest while another led the beasts and cart away to a large warehouse behind the line of empty carts. I saw another guard emerge from the door at the same time to bring another cart to the line. I smiled at the proficiency of the entire operation. The guard talking to Burgas, an officer it seemed, opened the chest and began counting out four, fist-sized purses into Burgas’s hands. After the transaction was complete, Burgas walked over and tossed me half of the purses with a grin.
- “A deal’s a deal. Half the bounty.”
- “Burgas, I can’t
”
- He held up his hand. “I’ll hear none of it. You may have saved me weeks in there
maybe even my life. You can never be sure what will happen on a hunt. B’sides, the bounty was doubled. Gartone has been very busy of late. The Octarchs don’t like it when someone takes from their own pockets.” He nodded at the purses. “You are now in possession of small fortune, lad. What are your plans? I could always use another good man.” He glanced at Sabrene and Ree’ann, who were quietly talking together. “Or good women for that matter. Been thinking of starting my own guild.” He tossed his purses in the air and snagged them back again with a heavy jingle and bigger grin. “Now I can. What say you?”
- I looked again at the women. Ree’ann held one of Sabrene’s hands in both of hers and bowed her head over it. She rose and Sabrene hugged her. After a moment, Ree’ann returned the embrace. Ellese stood to one side nodding her head and smiling. What was going on there?
- “Women’s business, lad. Best leave it be.” Burgas warned, seeing my look. “I’d rather face ten angry clackers alone than put my nose where it doesn’t belong. Learned that the hard way.” He scratched behind his ear. “Though it is an odd oath to be take’n.”
- “Oath?”
- “Never you mind. Best forget I said anything. Women’s business, remember?”
- I watched as Yore walked over and spoke with the ladies. Ree’ann laughed and followed him and Ellese through the huge opening, leaving Sabrene alone. Burgas studied my face. “Ah well, every man’s got to learn for himself, I gather. Just be on your toes. A woman’s anger is sharper than any blade. Before you go, my offer?”
- “I would like to, I mean, that was to be my calling before I came here
”
- “But
” Burgas prompted.
- “I
you can’t tell Sabrene a word of this. Promise?”
- “Till rock is gone and light fades, lad. Not what has you in a bundle?” I was not sure at the time exactly what that oath meant, but it sounded to be a strong one. I now know those to be seven most sacred words any Dwarf may ever utter. I am honored to this day.
- “She is
dieing,” I said low, though no one was near enough to hear. It was not something to speak loudly even when alone. “This world is killing her. If she stays
Tell me Burgas, is there a way out?”
- “Out? There is only Yliakum. Never heard of a way out, only in.”
- “There has to be.”
- “Listen, lad, I feel for you. No man should ever have to watch his soul mate die, but if that is the gods’ will, who are we to stand against it?”
- Yamuel chuckled in my head. ‘Gods? These foOL’S know noTHing. It is tHE light thAT sustains ThIS world. AnD kills yoUR girl.’ His voice seemed different, calmer, quieter.
- Why do you tell me this?
- ‘If SHE dies, WE diE. It IS the LigHT. The SUN.’
- “You all right, lad? I’m sorry I had to
”
- “Is there any place out of the light?” I asked quickly.
- “Just the Labyrinth
” He looked at me questioningly as I shook my head.
- “No, that’s not far enough. Is there any place the power of your sun can’t reach?”
- “That’s fool’s talk, the Azure Sun’s power reaches to every
no wait, there is one place. Why the Blaze did‘n I think of it before?”
- “Where?” I asked, clinging to hope.
- “Easy, lad. A few day’s journey from here lies one of the Docks. Once a week a ship comes from Shaln Vae
”
- “The ‘hidden isle’?” I asked, understanding the words as Old. Burgas nodded.
- “If that is what it means, then yes. If you take the ship, you may find safety for your girl. It is the only place I know the light might not reach.” He scratched his beard and looked the way the others had gone, chewing his lip in thought. He then held up one of the purses, contemplating it. He seemed to come to a decision and stuffed the purses into a bigger one at his belt. “Ellese always wanted me to take her to Shal Vae, an’ I wouldn’t mind seein’ it either. If you would like to tag along?” I must have been grinning like a fool the way he looked at me.
- “Thank you, Burgas. The world needs more men like you.”
- He harrumphed roughly, rolling his thick shoulders. “Well then, done is done. I’ll meet you at Harlen’s Mug in town
What is it, lad?” he said as I barked out a laugh.
- “Nothing, this place just started to feel a little more like home.”
- He clapped me on the arm and with a, “Good to hear it,” left for the doors. Sabrene walked over now that she saw me alone. She kissed me and smiled, her eyes dancing with joy.
- “You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that,” she said happily. She looked to where the Dwarf was just disappearing. “He seems to be in good spirits.” She glanced down at the leather purses in my hands. “Something I should know?”
- I folded one of them into her hands. She shook it and raised an amused eyebrow. “Our future,” I said.
- She gave me the bag back with a little smile. “You keep it then,” she told me softly, “You have my heart and soul already,” she placed a hand where the golden link rest, “You may as well hold my future.” I thought I could fall forever into her eyes as she looked at me.
- “Er
that is
” I cleared my throat, wondering at how easily she could do that to me, “You seem to be in a good mood this morning too. Anything to do with Ree’ann?” I quickly saw my mistake as she pulled back a little. But instead of anger, something else lit her eyes. Pity?
- “She told me what you did for her last night. I
I’m proud of you. I have a confession. When I saw you together, I thought
” her eyes dropped as she played with the laces on my shirt, “I was a little jealous. I didn’t know if you were still
you. Ree’ann helped me see the truth. Can you forgive me?”
- “I
” I stopped before I could say ‘forgive you’. My father always told me those words should never be spoken to a woman in that order. “I should not have worried you. The fault is mine for not telling you what I was doing. Will you forgive me?” That was the right order.
- She gave me a knowing half smile, “Forgiven.”
- “What was that about between you two?”
- I was suddenly reminded of Burgas’s words. Sabrene stepped back, biting her lip. Her face was not so happy anymore. “You saw that?
 We came to an
agreement. I would rather not talk about it. It doesn’t concern you anyways.”
- I felt the lie in her words, but let it slide. I could see it truly bothered her to talk about it.
- “Well then, lets go meet our friends at the tavern,” I said and held out an arm. “Believe it or not, it’s called Harlen’s Mug.”
- Sabrene snuggled under my arm with a whispered, “I’ll believe anything you tell me to
my Aeden.”
- I finally felt that all would be well as we walked into our new lives together. Under the Azure Sun.

~part two~

- I glanced out the window as the sun faded into ‘night’. Not setting, just fading. Even after two days travel, I still couldn’t believe that something could be so high, so far away, yet still be inside. Just the thought of it made me dizzy. Sabrene reached over the table to touch my arm.
- “Is everything all right?”
- I nodded to her question, pulling my eyes from the window. She was dressed a new dress, long, and green with full slender sleeves and a high neck coming up to her chin, much as her armor had. An oval cutout adorned each shoulder, as well as a larger one above her breasts, exposing a small amount of cleavage. Embroidered thread of gold birds flew up her arms and across her chest, encircling the cutouts. I had never seen her wear anything like it before. She had always arrived in her ‘common’ clothing, not wanting us to see her as the Lady she was. With her beautiful dress and red-gold hair done up in an elaborate crown-like braid, she indeed looked like a Lady. A breathtakingly stunning Lady. She put her other hand over her ear with a wince as a woman, Lemur if I remember right, walked by with several small, gold rings in each ear.
- “How can they do that?” she asked in disbelief. “Imagine sticking metal through your own body. On purpose. For the life of me I can’t understand why.”
- “Some think of it as a thing of beauty,” Burgas said from next to me. He sat on a high stool with heavy pegs for his feet. The prideful way he sat, it looked more like a throne to me, not at all silly. He glanced at the lovely Lemur woman again and harrumphed. “Though I prefer my women unmarked. Speaking of which
” He hopped off the stool as Ellese came in the door and walked across the room to him. Ree’ann and Yore followed her in but stopped at the door at a word from Yore. “Remember, lad, the ship comes an hour before Full Light. It leaves an hour later. No exceptions. I’ll see you tomorrow. If you need me, we found an empty room over at the Three Rings.” He stopped as he noticed Yore pushing a package into Ree’ann’s hands. The black man then kissed his fingertips and touched them tenderly to her lips, before turning back out the door. Ellese beamed with joy as she watched. Burgas let out a low whistle and raised a bushy eyebrow at me. “Looks to me like Ellese and I are going to have that room for ourselves.”
- “What do you mean?” Sabrene asked.
- “Diaboli custom, dear,” Ellese answered joyously, but quietly, so as Ree’ann couldn’t hear. Ree’ann turned the package over in her hands looking confused. “Giftnight. He has made his attentions clear with the gift and the kiss. Now he will wait outside her window until she invites him in. I made Burgas wait two weeks before I let him in, though I decided to marry him on the first night.” Her grin took an evil edge. “And it was the rainy season.”
- “Marry?” I asked, looking back to Ree’ann, who was still holding the box as if unsure what to do with it.
- “Yes, lad. It’s a marriage proposal. Some have gone on for years.” He gave his wife a grin. “Two weeks in the rain is not so long to wait.”
- Ellese’s smile deepened. “I haven’t tried on Ree’ann’s red dress yet, we should see if it fits.”
- Burgas harrumphed again and clapped me on the arm. “Fair you good night,” he said hurriedly and slipped his arm around his wife as he led her to the door, his gait quickening with each step. Grinning, I could help but wonder how long it would be before he was at a full run.
- Sabrene shook her head. “If you try it that way, you’re staying outside.” The grin that started on my face was wiped clean as I realized she was dead serious. Ree’ann stepped around Burgas and Ellese as they rushed laughing through the door. A sadness passed over face as she looked at them. She crossed over to us slowly and whispered something in Sabrene’s ear. Sabrene stiffened, but after a moment nodded reluctantly. Just as slowly, Ree’ann went to the steps and disappeared upstairs, followed by the looks of more than a few of the male patrons. And all the Diaboli, male and female, all black. Oddly, Ree’ann had not looked at me once since coming through the door. Now that I thought about it, she had not looked at me since before The Bronze Doors, not even when she was talking to me. I was too busy worrying about Sabrene to notice.
- “Sabrene, what
” I started.
- “Please don’t
” she cut in, emotions warring across her face. She looked out at the waning light, seeming to gauge its brightness. “Tomorrow
ask me tomorrow.”
- I nodded, feeling helpless. I got up and sat next to her, pulling her head to my shoulder. She took my hands, even the one with the chain. Time passed slowly until the light was nearly gone, and the patrons started leaving, either up to their rooms or out the door. The thin innkeeper -who to my disappointment looked nothing like the Harlen of home, and was named Knym besides- began tuning all of the mugs end up. A clear indication that he was done with tonight’s business. Sabrene sighed and pulled away from me. She wouldn’t meet my eyes.
- “Ree’ann needs to
speak with you,” she said, forcing out each word.
- “Why
”
- She put a finger across my lips. “Just go. I
trust you.” She turned to the window and put her hands in her arms on the sill, walling me off. “Go,” she whispered again. My heart ached at the pain in her voice, but I left. Another thing my father told me; always do whatever the woman you love asks when she is crying.

~end of chapter *counts quickly on fingers* nine~
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:15:17 pm by Under the moon »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 10, An Oath and Broken Vows
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 02:26:11 am »
~An Oath and Broken Vows~
chapter ten

- I entered the room to see Ree’ann sitting in a chair placed in an odd position next to the bed. She wore a light robe of shimmering blue, bare toes poking out the bottom. Yore’s box lay empty near the washstand. She opened her eyes and a small smile crossed her lips as she looked at me for the first time in days. I thought I heard a relieved breath pass those lips. She didn’t say anything, just sat there smiling.
- “Sabrene said you wanted to talk to me?”
- She nodded slightly, the smile still in place. I searched for words to fill the awkward silence; awkward on my part anyways. Ree’ann looked calm as the moonlight, and with her blue-gray skin, just as beautiful.
- “Ah
that color suits you, Ree’ann.”
- “Thank you,” she said, the smile changing a little, “Yore gifted it to me. He said it would set off my eyes.” It really did. She paused to run her hands over the smooth fabric, pulling it tight in a very revealing way. “It is the first time anybody has ever bought anything for me.”
- I cleared my throat. The room seemed a bit warm, and small. “Why did you ask for me?”
- An unreadable look passed her face. “I wasn’t sure you would come
that she would let you come.” The smile returned. “But a pact is a pact.” She stood gracefully, smoothing the robe as she did. “It is such a lovely gift. I’ll have to thank him for it,” she said softly, then to my shock, pulled the draw loose and let the robe fall to the floor. I found myself mesmerized, unable to look away. Every curve, every line blended together in perfect harmony. The candlelight played a soft symphony of light and shadow across the canvas of her bare skin. I felt the door press up against my back, my heart pounding. When had I moved?
- “Ree’ann
I don’t think Sabrene
”
- Ree’ann’s eyes glanced down at her naked body, her smile turning amused. “Your people were not so modest in the past. Don’t worry, she agreed to this
” She paused and sat on the bed, her hand running across her shoulder and down her arm. “Well, maybe not this, exactly.”
- My eyes flicked to the bed, more than big enough for two. I swallowed hard, trying in vain to work moisture back into my mouth. I realized I was coming close to panic.
- Ree’ann saw my look and laughed. “Don’t worry Aeden,” so it was back to Aeden now, “this is for you,” she said, patting the chair seat. “Besides, what use do you have for a bed if you don’t need to sleep?” She slipped her body under the thin sheets, the fabric molding itself to her in a way that left very little to guess at. My eyes blinked, the spell broken. The smile turned a little devious. “Not that I hadn’t considered it,” she teased. At least, I think she teased. She laughed again at my expression and pointed to the chair. “Your throne, my Lord?” I let out a long relieved breath, she was teasing.
- DOn’t be SO sure. Yamuel’s voice cleared away some of the shock. I had completely forgotten about him for once. Completely.I walked over slowly and sat on the chair.
- Ree’ann nodded and held out her hand. “The Den’feire?”
- I suddenly realized what this encounter was all about. “This is your agreement with Sabrene?” I asked, holding out my bundled arm.
- “Sabrene’s part, yes, and yours I suppose. Though she said there would be
words if you didn’t agree.”
- I paused at unwrapping the cloth, wondering what those ‘words’ would be. Best not to dwell on it. I finished uncovering the Den’feire and made a few coils rise to Ree’ann’s hand. She slid the length of chain under the sheets to rest over her heart and across her breasts, shivering a little. “Cold,” she whispered. I felt like shivering myself. The feeling though the chain was not exactly like my own hands, but close. I resisted the urge to move the chain to a more appropriate position, wanting to save myself from more embarrassment. The links began to warm from her skin.
- “Better. I want you to do what you did before, only wait until I am asleep. Can you do that?”
- “I think so.”
- She smiled and closed her eyes. After a short while, I felt her chest begin to rise and fall in the slow rhythm of sleep. I began to lightly draw her Aura again, closing my eyes to start the trance. A last thought came to me. What was Ree’ann’s part of the bargain?
- I opened my eyes to see Ree’ann standing a few steps away.
She wore Yore’s gift, the blue robe, her bare feet in the thick grass. The full moon stood directly overhead, while the Ribbon stretched to both horizons amongst a smattering of stars. Ree’ann looked down and raised an amused eyebrow at me. I cleared my throat. At least I had managed to give her some form of clothing.
- “Sorry,” I apologized, changing it to her black hunter’s garb.
- She glanced down again and sighed. “Sabrene’s dress is much more lovely,” she looked at me and smiled, “Only in blue?”
- I shook my head with a grin, changing the black garb to a long dress mirroring Sabrene’s, only in dark blue, with silver crescent moons instead of the birds. She laughed with joy and spun in a circle, watching how the fabric flowed through the air.
- “Blue was always my favorite color,” Yamuel said as he walked down the path. Ree’ann stopped suddenly, looking a little shy. He grinned and touched her cheek with a hand nearly as big as her head. “After gray, that is.” He looked at me and bowed his head slightly. “I thank you for this. I must tell you a few things before you go.” He sat on the ground to come down to our height, Ree’ann, still standing, leaned against his massive shoulder with a content sigh. “First, he was right about the Azure Sun. It gives life to this world, but takes Sabrene’s. It is one of the eight powers I told you of, the strongest by far. It was what bound the chain to you. If someone were to tap fully into that power
” He shook his head. “All that exists could be endangered. The second most powerful is the Den’feire itself. Only instead of exuding power as the Crystal does, it absorbs it. No one is sure where it came from, or even what the full extent of its powers are. With it in your possession, you can rival even the ‘gods’.”
- I looked down at the chain glinting in the moonlight. It seemed such a simple thing. “What of the other six?”
- “The Portal, which was created by Vodul for reasons I don’t know, but I suspect it has something to do with the races in this world. Vodul deems himself master of time and has always pushed its boundaries further than most thought prudent. A Portal is a twist in time itself, and when you drew in my Aura, you pulled the power of the Crystal through it, magnifying its power a thousand fold. Time itself has been broken. The ‘shifts’ you are experiencing are from the fabric of time healing itself. Some events can happen, some will or will not, but others must happen. I am afraid there are still breaks left to heal. Be ready for them.” He paused, looking at Ree’ann. “One power already resided in you from birth. The power of the Lura’fen, given to you by Ree’ann and her people. It is why the Den’feire bonded to you so easily. This, however,” he raised a hand; Sabrene’s spear appeared upright above it, “did not. Its creation too closely mirrored your own. They are the same side of a loadstone. Equals in power. Forcing the two together would cause both to be destroyed.”
- “How can Sabrene hold it then?”
- “That part the story you were given is true. After her people cast down the Dentali, Ree’ann used her own power to change some of your people and bond them to the spears. Opposite sides of the loadstone. But this took the Lura’fen’s power away, and they became Fen’rohdain. Sabrene is one of them.”
- “What of Ulaisha, the Hadara? Sabrene could have been a Songstress.”
- “That part I don’t know myself, except that it is the power of another Ancient. A very powerful Ancient. I was only able to sense her Song for a moment, but it approached the strength of the Lura’fen and Fen’rohdain combined. You should not have been able to do the Joining without Ree’ann, but something changed your people again after she and I were trapped. Another Ancient gave you the power of the Songstresses. Perhaps so you could continue the fight against my armies. You absorbed that power also. It is why you can sense other’s pain and lies.”
- Ree’ann gave me a sidelong look. “I will have to watch my words from now on, it seems.”
- Yamuel gave her a wry smile, “Maybe I shouldn’t have told you that. Done is done, as your friend Burgas would say. Another thing that puzzles me is that Sabrene’s spear, though identical, is not one that I made. It is a perfect copy. I only made a few hundred, one for each Diaboli.”
- “There are many thousands now, that I know of,” I told him, “But they are passed down through the generations. No one has ever found a way to craft them.”
- “Hmmm
interesting. A great mystery.”
- I quickly tallied up what he had told me. “That leaves two.”
- “Yes, it does. But they came together. One was my own power, drawn with my Aura. The other you are quite familiar with.”
- “The helm.”
- “Yes. I don’t know yet what effect or changes it has caused you, but I can find no harm.”
- “What of this place?” I motioned around us.
- “That, my young friend, comes from you. If you had tried to draw Ree’ann’s Aura before the chain became a part of you, it would have consumed her whole. As I said before, the Den’feire only draws power. There was no escape.”
- “Was?”
- He nodded. “Your Aura has formed a bridge. A way out. That is how the beast escaped into your mind. You have given the Den’feire the ability to give life as well as take it. Not many have this gift. I hope you use it well.” His words carried the tone of farewell.
- I looked at Ree’ann. “How do I..?”
- “Leave the trance, but keep the Den’feire touching Ree’ann. I will send her back after I say what is needed.”
- “Aeden?” Ree’ann asked, looking at Yamuel shyly, “Before you go
”
- I came out of the trance and smiled to myself. The color of that robe really did set off her eyes. The feeling though the chain rushed back into my mind, reminding me that I sat next to a very beautiful, very nude woman. I moved the chain down to her stomach, being careful to keep it in contact with her skin. Then I relaxed, waiting, hoping that Sabrene never learned the exact details of the night. At one point I thought I heard a small whimper escape Ree’ann. Soon after, I felt her Aura rush back into her body. It almost felt like it was fleeing. I slowly recoiled the chain, checking to see if she was all right, but only the soft sounds of sleep came from her. Feeling a chill in the room, I doubled the sheet over her and crossed over to the door that led to the adjoining room. With a last look at the sleeping woman, I closed the door behind me. Sabrene lay silently in the next room on a bed that was, to my great relief, only big enough for one. another bed rested against the other wall. I pulled the only chair over to set next to Sabrene’s bed, much as the one in Ree’ann’s room had ben. I made no noise, and Sabrene faced away from me, but her voice startled me as I sat.
- “I lied to you, Aeden.” Her voice was full of quiet pain. She didn’t move.
- “I know.” I whispered comfortingly. “Go to sleep, It’s all right.”
- “I couldn’t tell you
I didn’t want to. But I had to do it. I had to
for us.”
- “Shhh
don’t cry. You can tell me tomorrow.”
- “I need to protect you. My life before yours. My sacrifice
”
- “What sacrifice?” I asked, worry creeping into my voice.
- “You,” she whispered after a long pause, “I gave her you.”
- I sat speechless, unable to even form a complete thought.
- “Every third night, you belong to her. The rest of the days, she belongs to me. I had to
”
- “Why?” I asked the only word that would come to my mind.
- “I need her to train me. I don’t know how to use my spear’s power. She is the only one that can teach me. It was the only way. I can’t keep my Oath without her help.” I pulled her over to look into my eyes, she didn‘t resist at all. Her face had the look of defeat, unshed tears wet in her eyes. “Did you
” she started to ask, but couldn’t finish.
- “No,” I answered, “Her only care is Yamuel. This is what she wanted.” I held up the chain. “It is all she will ever receive from me. I belong to you
only you.”
- She sat up and hugged me, the tears finally falling. At that instant, a sound from the door made me turn. Ree’ann stood in her robe at the doorway, her face a mask of despair. She looked more lost than after I almost killed her. Sabrene released me, worry crossing her face.
- “Ree’ann?”
- “He broke our vows,” Ree’ann said in a trembling voice of complete abysmal sorrow. “He told me I need to forget him, and
broke our vows.”
- Sabrene looked at me, understanding coming into her eyes, and something else.
- “I’ll be outside,” I answered her unspoken request. As I got up, Ree’ann rushed across the room and fell to her knees, her head cradled in Sabrene’s lap.
- “He left me, Cassarean,” I heard Ree’ann whisper as I closed the door. The word was slightly different than what she had called me. In Old, ‘One who owns’.

~end of chapter ten~

As a reward for reading this far... Ree'ann and Yamuel
Arted by Moogie. Thanks, we miss you.
Wallpaper size. If you wish the fullsize, high res, poster sized version, PM me. :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:17:23 pm by Under the moon »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 11, Waiting for Hope
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005, 05:40:22 am »
~Waiting for Hope~
chapter eleven

- Sabrene slipped through the door about a half hour later, closing the door so as not to make a sound. For a long moment, she stood with her hands and face pressed against the door. She turned and saw me, pausing for a few moments as her eyes searched mine. “She is sleeping now,” she whispered finally.
- I got up from the chair, trying to find the right words. “He did what he had too. For Ree’ann. He is fading, Sabrene; I could feel it in him.”
- Sabrene nodded. “I know. She told me everything. But that won’t take away the hurt. Yamuel told her she needed a future
one that Yore could provide for her.”
- “What
what did she say?”
- Sabrene looked down, her face pained. “She is going to accept Yore’s offer. She said she wants Yamuel to know she will be safe. Even if it costs her happiness.” She looked at me, a deep questioning sorrow in her eyes. “Would you ever ask the same of me
to forget you?”
- I didn’t know the answer. I knew that I could never do as Ree’ann had. If I ever lost Sabrene
 A furtive noise at the window cut my thought short. Bright steel glinted in the light of the single burning candle as a figure slipped into the window, its cat eyes shining in the dark. It hissed a curse, seeing me standing there, but there was a note of confusion in its feminine voice.
- “The Gray, where is she?” the female Enkiduki growled, waving a long dagger. “Tell me and live.” Sabrene shifted by the door, drawing her attention. Apparently the cat had not noticed her before. “You!” she spat, her eyes darting between us, never resting in one place. “Soa has plans for you. He may never pull a bow again. My reward will be great if I lay you at his feet,” she almost purred, cool confidence never leaving her voice. Her eyes flicked back to me. “You, however, are of no use.” She leapt smoothly onto the bed between Sabrene and I, a second dagger flashing into her other hand. I brought my left arm up reflexively at her first strike, meeting her blow with the ring of steel on something much harder. Her eyes widened slightly but she didn’t slow the other dagger from slashing at my heart. This time she did jump back, startled, as the dagger struck the gold link and shattered. Her eyes went to where the cloth had been torn on my arm, exposing the chain. “What manner of creature are you?” The confidence was gone. Sabrene took a step forward, swinging her arm to strike the woman, though she was not nearly close enough. The cat’s snarl of contempt vanished as the butt of Sabrene’s Dentali materialized a hand’s width from the side of her face in full swing. Too late, she tried to duck, but the blow caught her in the temple. The feline slammed against the wall and slid to the ground, her eyes closed. A minute passed with both of us staring at the slowly breathing Fenki on the floor.
- “I could have killed her,” Sabrene whispered, “I
should have.”
- “No
You did the right thing.” The cat’s words finally sunk in, ‘the Gray’. My eyes met Sabrene’s.
- “Ree’ann!” she gasped and spun to the door, her shoulder guards appearing through the oval cutouts of her dress, short spikes stretching the fabric of the sleeves. We rushed into the next room, but Ree’ann wasn’t there. “She was just
” Sabrene stopped, seeing the hallway door slightly ajar. The window was open, blowing the curtains into the room. “The hall
” she said, rushing to the window. I ran to the door, poking my head though enough to look both ways. To my relief, Yore stood at the top of the steps, holding Ree’ann in his arms. As I pushed the door all the way open, a large man stepped into the hall from another room. His hand rose, holding a small crossbow, aimed straight at Ree’ann’s back. Time seem to slow, moments lasting an eternity in the thick flow of congealed time, as the man put pressure to the trigger. Yore looked up from Ree’ann, his eyes going wide. Faster than thought, Yore spun, throwing himself between Ree’ann and the man. At the same instant, the Den’feire burst from the cloth on my arm, shredding the fabric. The chain flashed out, whistling, and pierced the man’s back to the sound of shattering bone, bursting out of his chest. Too late. Click. The bolt released itself from the crossbow, striking Yore in the upper back. My mind cried out as he fell, his grasping hands pulling Ree’ann down with him. Her look of surprise turned to one of horror as she realized what had transpired. She pulled herself off him, his hands falling away limply. The man I had killed dropped to his knees and slumped against the wall, the chain still through his chest. I did that. The thought floated across my mind. Nothing felt real. I was in a dream. Not Yamuel, me. I could not move.
- “Oh shades, no!” Sabrene’s voice seemed to come from far away, to someone else’s ears. She pushed passed me, ignoring the dead man. Ree’ann had Yore’s head in her lap, stroking his long black hair, as she tryed to hold the bolt off the floor. Tears were flowing freely down her face.
- The loud sound of heavy boots on the steps was followed by Burgas’s puffing voice. “Lad? You all right? Someone attacked the Three Ri
” His voice cut off in a strangled gasp as he topped the steps. “Gods
Yore
is he?”
- “Not yet,” Ree’ann whispered, but there was a hopeless finality in the way she said it. Not yet
but soon. Her eyes raised to me, pleading. “Don’t let him die
I am yours forever
just don’t let him die.”
- HE is deAD alreADY. Can yOU not feel IT? Yamuel’s voice was edged with amusement. Yore’s Aura was fading, I could feel it. But it was like I was watching though someone else’s eyes.
- Sabrene reached for the bolt, but Burgas grabbed her wrist with a hiss. “No, lass. It’s warded, see the Glyph.” He bent over to get a closer look. His face sank, his shoulders slumping. “A Soul Glyph
” He sat down hard, his eyes staring at empty space. “Hope is lost,” he said in a choked voice.
- IT drawS his SOul, Hope IS lost. NothING will save HIM. Yamuel chanted with childlike glee.
- “No
Please Aeden
” Ree’ann begged.
- “Bring me,” a far off voice called from my mind. “There is a way
hurry.” The true Yamuel. How do I? I asked.
- ‘HOW do you whAT?’
- I suddenly knew what to do. The chain jerked from the man’s body, coiling back about my arm. No blood marred its surface. I could feel my own Aura as it spanned the gap between body and chain. I was a bridge to the Den’feire. Its power flowed both ways now. I followed my Aura into the chain, searching, reaching. Then I touched something
alive. I latched onto it, pulling it along my Aura, pulling it free. I looked up, knowing what I would see. Yamuel’s huge form stood in the hallway next to my companions, larger than the opening, yet still inside it somehow. I felt pure shock coming from the beast Yamuel still in my head.
- The true Yamuel nodded to me. “You have done well. Bring the chain closer.” I started walking forward just as Ellese came up the stairs, her footfalls making no noise.
- “Are they
NOOO!” She let out a cry of despair at the sight of Yore, going straight through Yamuel as she ran to him.
- Burgas grabbed her waist, pulling her down with his great strength. She fought back, hitting him until he took hold of her hands in an iron grip. “It’s too late, Ellese. It’s too late.” She began sobbing into his shoulder, shaking her head.
- Yamuel looked at her with his kind eyes. “All will be right. I promise.” He turned his gaze to me, determination filling it. “Ask them to leave. It will not be safe for them.”
- I nodded slightly. “You must all leave this hallway,” I told my friends, “Quickly, time is short.”
- “The Soul Glyph
” Burgas started but I cut him off.
- “I will deal with it. Check the woman in the room, she may know something. Now go.”
- Ellese’s head came up with a snap. “One lives?” She got up, murder in her eyes. “We will see about that.”
- Burgas gave me a worried look before following his wife into Sabrene’s room. Sabrene glanced at the door, then at Ree’ann’s further down the hall. With a quick, “Be careful,” she ran to the second door and slipped in. I put a hand on Ree’ann’s shoulder.
- “You too. Go to the room and wait.”
- “For what?” she asked, her tears mirrored in her voice.
- “For hope. Now go.” I pulled her to her feet and gave her a little push towards the door. She stopped at the door, not looking at me.
- “For hope,” she whispered and passed inside.
- “What do I do?” I asked Yamuel.
- “First, the bolt,” he answered, crouching down. “You must remove its power. Touch it with the Den’feire.”
- I knelt next to Yore and reached out to the bolt with the chain. As they touched, everything in the hallway -except Yore, Yamuel, and the chain- seem to bend inward to a single point, warping matter around where the two came together. The chain vibrated, sending ripples through the warp. Black crazed lines began to flow out of the bolt into the Den’feire. Suddenly, the warp collapsed into the chain, pulling the lines with it. Then all was still. Yore’s Aura stopped fading, but his breath continued to slow. He was still dieing.
- “What can I do? He still won’t live long.”
- “His Aura is too weak. It is broken. Pull the bolt out and touch him with the chain, I will do the rest.”
- I did as he said, pulling the black metal out with a sharp tug, releasing a fresh flow of dark blood. I tossed the bolt aside and took Yore’s hand in mine, pressing the links between them.
- Yamuel nodded to me. “It is almost done. Tell Ree’ann I love her, always. Farewell
my friend. The debt is finally paid.” With his last words he began to fade. A power began passing though the Den’feire into Yore. A tremendous power. The blood stopped flowing and Yore’s breath became deep and healthy. The passing ceased, and Yamuel was gone. Forever. His last sacrifice for a people he once -and still- loved. His debt paid. I sat down heavily on the hard floor, completely exhausted. Both physically and emotionally. I turned as I heard Ree’ann’s door creak down the hall, Sabrene peeked though the crack. She saw me sitting and slowly slipped out, closing the door behind her. Worry crossed her face as she came to me, avoiding the dead man on the way.
- “He’s gone,” I whispered. Sabrene’s eyes flicked to Yore. “No. Yamuel
the true Yamuel. He gave his life to Yore
to Ree’ann. He asked me
” I couldn’t finish, the pain to great.
- She looked at Yore, her eyes wet. “I will tell her.”
- “Can you ask Burgas to come out here?”
- She nodded and went through her own door, so as not to pass the dead man again. A little while later, Burgas came out the other door looking relieved. He paused at the dead man and grunted, then continued to me. He saw Yore’s chest moving in restful slumber and shook his head in amazement.
- “I don’t know how you did it, lad, but I owe you a debt of gratitude. I have never heard of a Soul Glyph being broken before.”
- “The debt is paid, Burgas.” He looked at me questioningly. “Later
I will tell you later.” I looked at the dead man, noticing that his other arm was bandaged in a sling. “You knew him?”
- The Dwarf harrumphed. “That I did. Soa, Gartone’s brother, second only to Gartone himself in rank. You just doubled your fortune, lad. What with him and the fenki.”
- “We did. Equal shares, remember,” I said softly, trying not to look at the body again. It had been easier not knowing his name.
- Burgas opened his mouth, but after seeing the look on my face, just nodded. “Equal shares, then,” he conceded. He looked at Yore. “Is it safe to move him?”
- With the close proximity I could sense Yore’s wound, fully healed now. “Yes, the worst is over.” Burgas grabbed my forearm as I stood, helping me up. “Let’s get him to a bed.”
- We hefted Yore into the first room, settling him on the bed Sabrene had been in when I first saw her. Ree’ann suddenly cried out in the next room, followed by a heart wrenching wail. Burgas started for the door, but I grabbed his arm. “Women’s business, Burgas.” He gave the door a last look and nodded.
- “If you say so, lad,” he said then looked to the hallway as shouts began to rise. “Better we go straighten this out.” He glanced at my arm. “Better cover that too. Enough questions will be asked this night.”
- Ree’ann’s cries were just subsiding in the next room. I could still feel the pain and despair coming through the door.
- “I hope we have the right answers,” I said quietly.
- Burgas saw my look, taking my meaning. “Yes, lad. I hope we do.”

~end of chapter eleven~
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:34:08 pm by Under the moon »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 12, Out of the Mist
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 10:48:35 pm »
~Out of the Mist~
chapter 12

- The next day brought both joy and pain. Joy in the eyes of Ellese and her husband as Yore woke from his slumber; pain in the way Ree’ann would not look at him at all. She seemed to be half asleep, only Sabrene’s arm around her keeping her from falling. Yore sat on the bed under the beaming, watchful eyes of Ellese. He had a faraway look in his eyes and kept glancing back and forth between Ree’ann and I. Finally, he whispered something in Ellese’s ear. She nodded and kissed his forehead, then turned to the rest of us.
- “He wants to speak to Aeden and Ree’ann alone,” she told us, then took Burgas’s arm and led him to the door.
- Burgas turned from the opening. “The ship arrives in an hour, don‘t be long,” he said, then let his wife pull him out. He had never even asked if we should delay the trip. One look at Sabrene’s quickly paling face must have answered that question before he even thought to ask it.
- Sabrene led Ree’ann over to me, placing her in my arms. She kissed my cheek with a whispered, “Take care of her,” and followed the others.
- As I watched her leave, a saying my father used to say came to me, ‘The gods can change all the heavens, but only a woman can change her own heart.’ I shook my head and guided Ree’ann to the bed, sitting her on the chair. Yore lifted a hand to her, but let it drop.
- “I
I remember you, Ree’ann,” he said, his voice strong but gentle. She finally looked up at him, her eyes empty. “I
remember the day you were born, my joy at the first I saw of your face. I remember watching you grow, and falling in love with the woman you became. I remember our vows, and breaking them.” He stopped as her mouth fell open, something else entering her eyes. Hope.
- “Yamuel?” She whispered.
- Yore looked at me, sadness on his face. His gaze returned to her and he shook his head slowly, his eyes down. “No, though I wish it were, to see you smile again. He is gone, but his memories remain.” He reached out again to touch her cheek; she didn’t pull back. She didn’t even move. “I thought I loved you, Ree’ann, but it was only a candle to the brightest sun next to what Yamuel felt for you. What I now feel for you. He died for you, giving me his life, giving me his love. I can never be him, but I can be here for you
if you will have me.”
- Ree’ann slowly brought her hand to his. “You died for me too, Yore,” she whispered, “I invited you in
not Yamuel.” Her voice broke at Yamuel’s name, but she closed her eyes and continued. “It is what he asked of me. I will honor his wish. Even if
”
- “Even if you don’t love me in return,” Yore finished for her. She squeezed her eyes tighter, nodding her head. He pulled his hand away from her. “I will not hold you to that until you are ready, but I will never leave your side. It is what he asked of me. His last promise.”
- She sank down on the bed, sobs shaking her body. Yore began stroking her hair as I rose to leave. “Be strong, my little one,” I heard Yore whisper as I left the room. Be strong, Ree’ann, I thought, closing the door.
- Burgas was in the common room talking to a guard, Ellese and Sabrene nowhere to be seen. He clapped the guard on the arm in farewell and turned to me with a grin, his large coin purse bulging to near bursting.
- “Lad, your Sabrene has made us rich men. Turns out that fenki was worth more than Soa and Gartone combined. Even more since she is alive. Something to do with one of the High Octarchs’ sons. A private matter, I’m told.” He grinned even bigger and winked. “The best kind of business.” He looked the way I came, his face turning solemn. “How is she?”
- “She will heal, but the scars will go deep.”
- Burgas nodded. “Wounds to the heart are always the deepest, and take the longest to mend. But she is strong.”
- “The women?” I asked after a long silence.
- The Dwarf grinned again. “Ellese has gone on a quest to lighten my pockets, took Sabrene with her.” He jingled his purse and laughed. “Going to take a bit of doing, that is. I’ll go put this in the safe chest with the rest and talk to Yore a bit. Find the ladies and meet us at the Dock, the ship should be arriving soon.” He winked again. “Not something you’ll want to miss, I hear.” He strode up the stairs, jingling and chuckling at each step.
- Burgas’s good mood infected me as I walked out the door into the warm sunlight, even its blue tinge not affecting my good spirits. I wandered around the bustling community until I found the plaza. All sorts of crafters and venders shouted their wares at the crowd, pausing only to take coin from buyers. Smiles shone on many faces and a sense of chaotic joy hung in the air. Sabrene and Ellese stood at one of the open booths selling flowered hats. A smile passed my face as Sabrene lifted a wide brimmed green hat that matched her dress and set off her hair beautifully. She asked the seller a question and shook her head at the answer, handing him back the hat. The women walked on and turned the corner. I walked up to the seller, a wide Dermorian, and after a little bargaining, left him shaking his head in disgruntled amusement. I looked at the hat in my hands. Hearing lies definitely had its advantages. I turned the corner to see the women at another booth, this one selling fine daggers. Sabrene gasped in surprise as I snuck up and placed the hat on her head. She spun to me, her face beaming.
- “I bought this for you,” I said, and -noticing the small smile Ellese directed at me calling me the fool- added, “At half the price he wanted to charge you.” I smiled as her grin was swept aside. She didn’t have to know I still paid more than it was worth. I looked at Sabrene’s smile. I would have paid ten times as much. “Burgas says to buy whatever you wish, Ellese, no matter the cost.”
- Her smile turned wry. “Did he now? In that case
” She turned to the cutler, “I’ll take them.”
- The Kran smiled, handing her two beautifully engraved daggers and their equally engraved black leather sheaths. “A good deal for the Lady, some of my best work.”
- I blinked as Ellese handed him the coin. I heard no lie in his words, but the amount she gave him was far greater than what I paid for the hat, if I understood the currency. She replaced her own plain daggers with the new ones, lacing them to her thighs. She admired them for a moment, turning this way and that in a way that had more than a few of the surrounding men admiring her in turn. Sabrene poked me in the arm. She was trying to look sternly at me, though fighting a smile.
- “I like them too,” she said, “but that is no reason to stare.”
- “Right you are, my heart.” Both women were now looking at me with identical amused expressions. I cleared my throat. “We should get going. Burgas said we shouldn’t miss the ship arriving.” I turned and started walking quickly to where I thought the Dock was. I heard Sabrene whisper something as she began following. Ellese laughed out loud.
- “They can’t help it
they’re men!” I only hoped the redness would be gone from my face by the time we got there.
- As it turned out, the Dock was not where I thought it was, being in the opposite direction. Though Ellese knew the way, she left me go on for a few blocks before whispering to Sabrene, who then grinned at me sardonically and said that maybe she should lead the way. My pride in my hands, I let her lead me to where the Dock rested. As we approached, she slowed in confusion, probably wondering if Ellese had pulled a prank on her also. Instead of a great body of water -as we expected- we came to a small lake, barely more than a pond. I scanned the shore, but found no sign of an outlet.
- “Are you..?” I stopped as I saw what must have been the Dock, a long pier made of massive rocks supported by stone columns. Hundreds of people were gathered on the end, nearly fifty paces out in the deeper water. They had with them a great number of crates and heavy bundles of all sorts, but there seemed to be no ship large enough to hold all of it, only small fishing boats. A Dwarf hailed us from the milling people on the Dock. Burgas, I saw, as he ran closer.
- “What took you, lad?” He huffed, coming to a stop. “You nearly missed it.”
- I scanned the lake again. Nothing. “Missed what?”
- A low wail sounded from across the lake’s surface, like a heavy wind echoing through reeds in the tops of a thick forest. The fishing boats scattered to the nearest shores, men bending their backs to the oars.
- “That.” Burgas grinned.
- I looked to where the wail had come from. Still there was nothing. The wail sounded again, louder.
- Sabrene grabbed my arm. “Look!” she gasped, fear in her voice.
- I looked to where she pointed and at first, saw nothing, as Sabrene’s eyes were always better than mine. Then an involuntary shiver passed through me. A mist began forming on the water’s surface not far from the Dock. A wispy glowing mist. Slowly, the mist built in strength, crawling across the water, obscuring its surface. Just as slowly, it climbed higher into the air, towering over the Dock. Just as I feared the people and stones would be swallowed, the wail dwindled and the thick wall of mist halted.
- “It’s just like
” Sabrene said with her own shiver.
- Suddenly, she jerked. Something was emerging from the cloud of mist. As it came forth, I saw that it was the prow of a massive ship, the sides a brilliant gleaming white. On an on it came, bringing at its side a second, lower, smaller hull, but still taller than any of the two story houses lining the lake. The main hull itself was the tallest structure I had ever seen, being three times the height of the smaller. Once the entire thing was revealed, an enormous double hulled catamaran rested silently next to the Dock. Three massive bridges connected the two hulls, gated doors at their ends on the main side. Cerulean blue markings accented the smooth white sides of the vessel. They looked familiar, though I was too far away to see why. Oddest of all, there seemed to be no means of propulsion. No sails, no oars.
- “I heard
” Burgas almost whispered in awe, “But to see it
”
- “It is beautiful.” Ellese intoned.
- A dozen long, wide, and thick roped gangplanks swung down from the Dock to land on the smaller, but still massive, hull. The gangplanks looked more like small bridges than ‘planks’. Burley folk -mostly Kran- on the ship immediately began hauling large crates and rolling huge barrels out of a door at the end of the closest of bridges connecting the two hulls and down the closer gangplanks. Their counterparts on the Dock rushed to begin hauling their own goods up the farther gangplanks and into the door at the end of the lake side bridge. Once their goods were stacked neatly on the Dock or deposited in the ship‘s great belly, the men and Kran walked back across the central bridges and gangplanks to retrieve another load. The precision of their movements spoke of a task done countless times before.
- “Well, we best be going. Our belongings are likely aboard a’ready.” Burgas said.
- Yore and Ree’ann waited at the Dock for us, Yore standing protectively behind her. Under his arm was a round, tightly wrapped and corded bundle. The black helm. He saw my look.
- “I would not chance leaving this alone. To many prying hands could be about,” he said. He, of all people, knew the destructive power of the helm. I nodded.
- Sabrene was looking at the ship, a slight frown on her face. “Those markings look familiar. They are similar to the ones on your shirt, aren’t they?”
- I turned to study the ship and its markings. “It’s in Old,” I said, somewhat surprised, “A poem, I think. Or a welcome. ‘Blue of sky, white of hope. Through mist the hidden isle awaits. Dreams in hand, fear cast aside. Through mist the hidden isle awaits. With open arms and open hearts. Through mist the hidden isle awaits
’ it goes on like that.”
- “Shaln Vae, the Hidden Isle, one of the great cities of the Ahrijani, an ancient race. They are a good people,” Yore said.
- Burgas frowned at him. “You sound like you know them personally.”
- Yore looked to Ree’ann as she spoke quickly. “I told him of them.” She looked at me, knowing I felt her lie. I nodded to her. A silent promise to keep their secret.
- A little enki girl bumped into me, her eyes wide with wonder. Her fur was all gray-blond but for a spot of white on her nose and a tip on her tail. Sabrene smiled at me, bending down to her.
- “Hello, pretty one,” she greeted the girl, “I am Sabrene, what is your name?”
- “Jhayda,” she replied shyly, looking at the ground, “Are you a Lady?” Sabrene paused.
- “Yes she is,” I said, smiling back at Sabrene.
- Jhayda’s mouth dropped open, bringing in a long breath as her eyes came up... not to Sabrene, but to me.  “Then you must be a Lord!” she said excitedly, a dreamy sparkle coming into her eyes.
- Sabrene’s smile turned amused. “Yes he is.”
- Jhayda bobbed a quick awkward curtsy and ran off into the crowd without saying another word.
- “You never said you were a Lord, Aeden,” Burgas said with a laugh.
- Sabrene’s eyes twinkled. “He has to be if he is to marry a Lady.”
- Burgas clapped me on the arm with a grin. “Good lad. Now lets get on board before they leave without us. They carry the best ale, I hear.” He frowned back at the shore. “May be a good time to be leaving anyways. Word is some young upstart by the name of Galeran Tarbius is stirring up trouble in the land. They even say he plans on building a temple
to Laanx. I can’t abide by that sort.” He trumped up the gangplank without looking back, Ellese pulling Sabrene behind him, whispering excitedly in her ear. I heard the words ‘wedding’ and ‘bride’ before they passed from my hearing. Yore and Ree’ann looked at each other before turning to me together.
- “Thank you,” Ree’ann said, “They don’t need to learn about
” She didn’t seem to know how to finish.
- “They won’t,” I assured her, “Not from me.” I held out my hand for the helm. “That is my responsibility; you have your own burdens.”
- Yore paused before handing me the bundle. He glanced to where the Den’feire was hidden. “You can protect it better than I, my friend. I am sorry I ever doubted you.”
- I nodded and grasped his extended hand, holding the helm under my other arm. After a firm shake, I followed the others up the plank and across the center bridge. The workmen were closing the two other doors and returning dockside. I found my companions in the biggest tavern I had ever seen, and found out it was only one of the four on board. Also, to my great surprise, there were two kitchens and an enormous commonbath. On a ship! So lost in wonder was I, that I did not see Sabrene leave the tavern, though there were so many people there one could be forgiven for losing someone standing right in front of them. After a quick inquiry, Burgas informed me she had gone above deck with most of the other passengers. Most?! To this day, I can not comprehend that many people on one ship. Laughing, Burgas told me with a grin that he would be staying in the tavern, if I needed anything.
-After much searching, and more walking, I found Sabrene at the back of the ship. She leaned on the railing with her hair blowing in the light breeze, staring out at the mist, past it. Her expression asked for silence, so I simply wrapped my arms around her, the helm laid at the blue-painted wooden rail. We watched in silence as the gangplanks were lifted and the huge ship drifted slowly away from the Dock. As quietly as it came, the catamaran turned and headed back into the mist, which parted before it. The last of the city vanished in white mist as it surrounded and closed in behind us, leaving a small, clear area around the ship. Sabrene shivered in my arms.
- “I miss Ulie,” she whispered.
- “So do I,” I whispered back, stroking her hair, “So do I.”

~end of chapter twelve~
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:19:39 pm by Under the moon »

Robot551

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 09:58:01 pm »
You have made my day. that was the bomb. dude publish that ur get so much money off it.  say Ulaisha should..... live
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 09:59:12 pm by Robot551 »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 13, Fate and Fury
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 11:45:46 pm »
~Fate and Fury~
chapter 13

- We stood together for a good amount of time just watching the waves combine in the ship’s double wake. People milled about the spacious deck, some tossing a game of rings or other various sport , others fighting mock duels in painted circles to the laughter of their watchers. There seemed to be plenty to do to pass the time, but I could think of no other place I would have liked to have been. A little voice piped up behind me.
- “My lord?” I smiled as we turned, recognizing Jhayda’s shy speech.
- “Yes, Jhayda?”
- She looked down, swinging her shoulders back and forth in embarrassment. She held something grasped in her tiny paw-like hands. I crouched down to her height, Sabrene’s hand on my shoulder.
- “Did you need something?”
- She held out her hand without looking up. A white, wooden flute-like instrument rested in her palm. “Mother said I could give you this,” she said. I’m sure she was blushing under her tawny fur.
- I took the flute and kissed her hand. “Thank you, my little Lady.”
- Her big blue eyes went wide. She glanced at me and gave a tiny squeak before turning and running back up the deck.

Kada’el stopped with a laugh. The poor dear. But her smile slowly faded as she saw there where very few pages left in the ledger. She blinked as she saw how many she had all ready read through this night. Perhaps she should save the rest for
another night? The storm rumbled as if to answer. No, she was not likely to get another night like this, just to herself. Taking another drink of her own finest, she scanned down to where she had left off, the smile returning to her face. The poor dear

- Sabrene laughed out loud. “She was so darling, like a scared kitten.” she stopped and pointed with her eyes. “I may have a rival.” The Enki girl peeked out from behind a group of laughing men a ways up the deck, before quickly hiding again.
- My grin widened. “She is very cute, she may just have a chance,” I teased, pocketing the flute, “Alas, she is to young for me.“ Sabrene punched my arm in mock outrage. That was not something she learned from her family. She opened her mouth, likely to give me a witty retort that would have me standing on my ear, but a deep familiar voice spoke from behind me.
- “We meet again, mortal.”
- I turned to see Laanx standing a few steps away. Raw emotion exuded from the featureless mask. Hate, anger, and something else
anticipation. I felt the Den’feire around my arm. The power to rival even the gods, Yamuel had said.
- ‘CarefuL.’ the beast said in my head. I gave a start, he had not spoken since the true Yamuel had passed. CReatE a fiELd; he wilL not senSE it.
- I did as he said, moving in front of Sabrene. I don‘t know how I knew how to make a ‘field‘ or even what it is, but I felt it form about the Den‘feire, then expand to cover both Sabrene and me. “What do you want, Laanx?”
- “Laanx?” Sabrene asked, looking over my shoulder with wide eyes, “Where?”
- “You know what I want.” Laanx’s mask swiveled to look behind me. I didn’t have to look to know his gaze fell on the bundled helm. Yamuel’s helm. The anticipation swelled, as well as the hate.
- “You can not have it, no one will.”
- “Have what? Who? What do you see?” Sabrene’s voice had an edge of fear to it.
- “I will have it, mortal. Ree’ann can not save you. There is only me. Give it to me!”
- “No! I will destroy it first.”
- Laanx raised his hand to me. “No,” he said calmly, “you will die.”
- The Den’feire warmed slightly, almost unnoticeably. Laanx stiffened, the sense of shock replacing anticipation. His gaze fell on my arm, his breath escaping in a hiss.
- “What manner of thing is this?”
- “You will get no answers from me, Laanx. Now go.”
- PriDe
 Yamuel cautioned.
- Fury swallowed all other emotions. Laanx glared at me with a mindless hate. “IT IS MINE!” he roared, his form blurring as he moved faster than I thought possible. Not for me, but for the helm. He snatched it off the ground in a fluid motion, raising it over his head. “REVENGE IS MINE!” Sabrene gasped as, to her eyes, the bundled helm rose high into the air.
- NOw! Yamuel shouted. Under the hate, under the anger and loathing
 I felt
fear from the beast in my head.
- The Den’feire burst from the cloth to strike the helm. With a hollow thunk, the helm was ripped from Laanx’s hands to fly high over the railing. After what seemed an endless moment of silence, I heard a splash in the water far below. Laanx turned on me, fury building to a white hot rage.
- “YOU FOOL!” he shrieked, there was an almost feminine tone underscoring his voice, “YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!” His robes began smoking. “FOOL!” Abruptly, he was gone. No flash, nor fading. Just gone.
- I sighed with relief, my heart pounding. I walked over to lean heavily on the railing, Sabrene followed.
- “Laanx was here?” she asked, taking my arm. I realized I was shaking, Sabrene’s arm and the railing the only things keeping on my feet. I had just defied a god. No, an Ancient.
- “He wanted the helm.” I answered quietly. “I think it’s safe now.” I looked to where the helm had vanished.
- Yamuel chuckled
an evil chuckle filled with sinister amusement. Oh, yES. It iS safe. You, HOweveR
 I had the feeling he was watching the water through my eyes. Waiting. BraCE yourseLF
fool. He pulled back into my mind, laughing malevolently. I looked at Sabrene as the true Yamuel’s words came back to me, ‘Remember this, never trust the beast’. He tricked me. Was Laanx ever there? I felt a surge of power rising from beneath the ship.
- “Grab something!” I yelled, pulling Sabrene to the railing. She latched on just as the ship lurched upwards, timbers groaning. Anybody standing was thrown to the deck. I thought I heard several fading screams followed by faraway splashes. The horror on Sabrene’s face told me she heard the same.
- “What is happeni
” A second, larger swell rose up under the ship, cutting her off as she hung on for her life, her eyes wide with fear. The mist began to darken, flashing like lightning buried in a storm. Wind howled where there had been none before. Through it all, I suddenly heard a small plaintive mewing. Sabrene met my eye. Jhayda. I let go the railing and started crawling frantically to where the sound came from. Another swell smashed me to the deck, knocking the breath out of me. My eyes came up, searching. There! Two tiny paws clung to the deck beneath the railing, claws sunk deeply into the wood. I scrambled forward gasping for breath. I nearly reached the rail when I heard the deafening retort of shattering timbers. The entire ship heaved, the deck slanting away from the railing and rolling me on my back. I froze, watching as the ship’s second hull rose silently over my head to vanish into the mist high overhead. Splinters began raining down a second later, followed by real rain in sheets of heavy droplets.
- Sabrene grabbed my arm, shock painting her face. “The outrigger
” she had no words to describe it. I shook my head, trying in vain to make sense of what I had just witnessed. That outrigger had been many times the size of the tavern I now write this in, but yet
 A cry snapped me back to reality.
- “Help
pleeease!” Terror filled the little Enki’s voice.
- I rolled back over, panic seizing me. Only one paw remained, wood shavings slowly curling from beneath the claws as she lost ground. The ship listed more, and I started to slide away. I grabbed Sabrene and reached out with the chain, catching the railing. The Den’feire coiled, easily pulling our combined weight as it compressed. Sabrene took hold of the railing with one hand and tried reaching under it with the other. But the angle was wrong, giving her no way to grasp Jhayda’s arm. The look that passed over her face was the same as that night in the fog, when Ulaisha almost died. Determination filled me. I would not let her die. The chain wrapped over the upper rail, pulling me up. I left one wrap around the rail and sent the other snaking down to encircle Jhayda’s waist just as her claws pulled loose. She opened her eyes and looked up, fear filled tears soaking her fury cheeks. Her blue eyes became bigger with something else, desperate hope. I lifted her over the railing with the chain and into my arms.
- The world pulsed

- The chain encircled Jhayda’s waist just as her claws pulled loose. What? She opened her eyes and looked up, fear filled tears soaking her fury cheeks. But she was safe! Her blue eyes became bigger with something else, desperate hope. It has to be right! I lifted her over the railing with the chain and into my arms.
- The world pulsed

- The chain encircled Jhayda’s waist just as her claws pulled loose. I saved her! She opened her eyes and looked up, fear filled tears soaking her fury cheeks. It can’t be wrong! Her blue eyes became bigger with something else, desperate hope. Yamuel began laughing in my head. I lifted her over the railing with the chain and into my arms.
- The world pulsed

- The chain encircled Jhayda’s waist just as her claws pulled loose. Gods, stop! Yamuel’s evil laughter coursed through my mind. She opened her eyes and looked up, fear filled tears soaking her fury cheeks. Please, no! Her blue eyes became bigger with something else, desperate hope. PLEASE! I lifted her over the railing with the chain and into my arms.
- The world pulsed

- The chain encircled Jhayda’s waist just as her claws pulled loose. DroP her. DrOp Her. DRop heR
 Yamuel chanted gleefully. She opened her eyes and looked up, fear filled tears soaking her fury cheeks. NO! Her blue eyes became bigger with something else, desperate hope. DROP HER! I lifted her over the railing with the chain and into my arms

- A hundred times I tried to save her
a thousand times
and failed. No matter what I did, the pulses brought me back. I see her face every time I close my eyes, remember every last tear, the desperate hope in her innocent blue eyes burned into my mind forever. I was beaten
my spirit broken, shattered into a thousand blackened shards. The worst is the last time I saw her. The chain encircled Jhayda’s waist just as her claws pulled loose. Yamuel was silent, waiting, he knew the only outcome. She opened her eyes and looked up, fear filled tears soaking her fury cheeks. My heart cried out, tears blurring my vision, but not enough. I still saw her blue eyes become bigger with something else, desperate hope. I would not close my eyes, not for her. Not ever. She must have seen something in my eyes as she dangled there, her own hope fading. She didn’t make a sound, just stared at me with a single question in her big blue eyes as I let the Den’feire go slack. Why?
- I fell to the deck, my legs wouldn’t support me anymore, my eyes staring at nothing, but seeing too much. God, I can still see it all. Sabrene’s hand went to her mouth, tears filling her eyes. She shook her head in disbelief, as if unwilling to accept the truth.
- “I dropped her,” I said, the words coming unbidden, ripped from the depths of my soul.
- “You did all you could,” Sabrene said through trembling lips.
- I looked at her, broken and hollow. “I let her go.”
- “You
” she started to say, but a slow horror spread across her face. She knew what I meant. “You can’t
”
- The ship suddenly lurched back, slanting the deck sharply towards Sabrene and I, slamming us against the rail. A large chunk of one of the bridges let loose from the broken duckboards and began a slow slide towards us. I didn’t move. I didn’t care. I only felt numb. Sabrene screamed as the tangled timbers crashed into the railing next to me, snapping the posts like aged twigs. It slid off the deck, taking the railing with it, and me with the railing, the chain still wrapped around it. I let it take me, greeting the water’s cold embrace like an old friend. Welcoming the darkness.

~end of chapter 13

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:27:20 pm by Under the moon »

Rallelalli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 02:07:29 pm »
Sincerely enjoyed your story, kept my interest thoughout, I really hope you keep at it and see good things for you in the future.
*Beware the wraith of the cat.*

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 02:35:15 pm »
There is no reason for taking back my offer, sorry for being late, (internet is whacko), I really look forward to the continuing of the story (that gray diaboli picked my interesst)

and farther I have to apology for not making the sketch I said I would, it somehow well ended up as a Kran with a sore tooth.
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Chapter 14, No Forgiveness
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2005, 12:29:41 pm »
~No Forgiveness~
chapter 14

- I did not die that day, though sometimes I wish it were so. Fate saved me, bringing me back to the Dock, or what was left of it. Instead of the grand construct that I remembered, only broken stone and toppled pillars remained. The bustling city was gone, the fishermen were gone, everything was gone. The one hermit living at the lake’s edge simply laughed at me when I asked when the next ship would come, calling me a fool for believing children’s tales. I left that place, never to return, carrying with me all that I possessed. My clothing, two small purses of coin, a hunter’s knife, and a white wooden flute, given to me by a shy little Enki with blue eyes named Jhayla. A girl I let die.
-That was not the last of the pulses, Fate had not set me free. For the next year, they plagued me, haunting my path. Cursing me as I cursed myself.
-It has now been eleven years since I left the lake behind, and my soul has had time to heal, though some wounds go too deep. I never saw Sabrene nor my friends again. I never took a name for myself, only going by that which people had chosen to call me, and only for as long as they called me such. But this day, I have taken my name. A name that I swore I would never take until she returned to me. I take my name, and hers. Though I take it alone.

-I am Aeden Shalcoen

Though I have chosen my own name, Fate still sets my path before me, and I follow it with sorrow in my heart. For the one thing I have learned in my life, is Fate has no forgiveness.

-There is no more to write. You have your answer, Lady Kada’el. Someday
maybe I will have mine.

Kada’el closed the ledger and rested it gently on the table with a sigh. The windows were beginning to brighten, the storm passed and the morning coming. She stared at the blank cover for a long time, wondering whether to believe it or not. She settled on belief, at least the parts about lost love and pain. And the poor little Enki. The pain had been too real in the man’s eyes to be anything less. After careful thought, she picked up the pen and dipped it in the inkpot and began to write in her neat hand. Then, satisfied with what she had written, blotted the letters and read them to hear how it sounded out loud .

“Chain of Souls. May Fate step aside. May love find your door. May you find peace at last.”

She nodded to herself, liking the sound of it. After gently resting the book back on the table and standing up, she stretched her back with a lingering gaze around her tavern. Dirty mugs rested on smeared tables shoved out of there places by the earlier scuffle. She shook her head. It had been a long time since a tale had kept her from her duties. As she began cleaning the previous day’s mess, the door creaked open, reminding her that she had one more thing to put on the list of things that needed fixing. She turned to see who would darken her door this early in the morn, a hand going subtly to the dagger at her back. Surprisingly, a woman’s form stood in the opening wearing a heavy cloak and deep cowl. Just enough morning light entered the tavern to make out the woman’s face. There was a sadness to her features that pulled at the Kada’el’s heart. Especially after having read the ledger. She decided not to turn the woman out and pulled back a chair.

“Have a seat, Miss. You look like you could use something a bit stronger than ale.”

The woman nodded quietly, taking the seat. With a deep sigh, her gaze settled on her hands. Kada sighed quietly herself. She knew that look, having seen it a thousand time before, and maybe wore it herself once or twice. She pulled the chair out opposite the woman and sat herself, grinning mentally at the time not long past that crazy old Octarch Gijhen had decreed that sitting in public was indecent, and therefore illegal. They even tried enforcing it for a time. The Dwarven men and Menkis had been too full of their own pride to abide by those rules, many being arrested for merely resting their posterior in view of a guard. She shook her head at the silliness of some things and looked back to the woman. The broken heart plain on her face, stilled Kada’el’s amusement.

“We’ve all been there before,” she said softly to the woman. “You know
time heals the hurting. It fixes most things.”

The woman looked up with dazzling jade eyes. “Time is the problem,” She stated simply. Something tugged at the tavern owner’s memory.

“How so, Miss
?”

The woman pulled back the cowl, revealing red-gold hair pulled back in a tight braid, much like the Diabolia preferred. “Sabrene
Sabrene Shalcoen. What is wrong?”

Kada blinked, her eyes flashing to the book on the other table. The accents. They matched perfectly. And now the name, and the eyes, and the hair. It couldn’t be. She looked back over the trashed room again and sighed. It would just have to wait.

“Would you mind telling me your tale, Miss Sabrene?”

“I don’t think you would believe it.”

Kada glanced at the book again. If the stories matched
“I may.”

Sabrene sighed and took a deep breath. “Very well. It was still early in the morning, the sun just rising over the horizon
”

~fin
 Book one~

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:28:52 pm by Under the moon »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
---
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 12:44:19 am »
this is an extra post not needed due to the new forums, but read on to the next if you wish. There are pronunciations and the tale of how I wrote this tale further on. Fun stuff.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:43:42 pm by Under the moon »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Extras
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2005, 09:49:24 pm »
Now that my story is done, I would be really sad if no one commented on it.

Index  

Characters and terms, in order of appearance:
Moogie - Moo-GEE; is not in this story. But one of her great artings is. Thanks ma'lady. :)
Main char : Human male, 17, Nameless till the end.
Sabrene Shalcoen - Sa-BREEN  Shal-COE-en: human female, 17
Ulaisha - You-LAY-sha: human female, 17
Connely Thay - CON-nil-LEE Thae: human male, 17
Shahna - Shaa' na: Sabrene's horse
Dentali - DEN-ta-lee: Sabrene's spear. Old Speak (OS) 'soul's mirror' or 'mirrored soul'
Harlen - HAR-len- Human barkeep
Whenth - whenth: next town
Kala - KAY-la: Harlen's wife
Daarven - DAR-ven: hometown; start of story
Ty - TIE: human male, 63, Guardian, Teacher
Fradaria - Fra-DARE-ee-a: human female, Keeper, Teacher
Doeben - DOH-ben: human male, Guardian, Teacher
Aikur - AY-coor: human female, Songstress, Teacher
Yamuel - YA-mool: complicated
Ree'ann - REE-ann: Diaboli woman, age ?
Lura'fen - loo-RA-fen: OS, 'Hands of the Light'
Fen'rohdain - Fen-roe-DANE: OS, 'the Shield before the Hand'
Den'feire - DEN-fear: OS, 'Chain of Souls'
Jesler - JE-slur: human male, Guardian
Hadara - HA-dare-ah: OS, ??? the Songstresses
Dyana - DIE-ann-ah: human female, Songstress
Gartone - GAR-tone: Ylian male, bandit
Aeden - AY-den: OS, 'beloved soul'
Syr ven ae - sear ven ay: OS, syr=you (feminine), ven=I (masculine), ae=love
Burgas - BERG-es: Dwarf male. Bounty hunter
Cassaren - cas-SAYR-en: OS, 'one who is above' weaker form of  'master'.
Ellese - El-EESE: Diaboli female, Burgas's wife, tracker/bounty hunter
Yore - Yore: Diaboli male. Ellese?s brother, bounty hunter
Trull - trull: a trampy woman, derived from OS, "trayull", meaning 'dancer'
Jakkar - Jek-KAR: Kran, expert chef
Shaln Vae - Shaln Vay: OS, 'hidden isle'
Cassarean - cas-SAYR-ee-an: OS, stronger variant of 'cassaren' meaning 'one who owns', or 'master'
Soa - SOE-a: Ylian male, Gartone's brother, bandit.
Jhayda- JADE-a: young Enki girl.

Laanx, Talad, Vodul, Diaboli, Kran, Lemur, Ylian, Enki, Dermorian, Klyros, Yliakum, Galeran Tarbius, Ahrijani, etc... Read the history and races section on the main site.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:46:55 pm by Under the moon »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 10:59:35 pm »
given what you have shown of yameul in \"tavern tales\", or maybe it was the beast. i wonder about the developing relationship between yameul and, well i guess, aeden.

but, then perhaps not all should be revealed, so fast. someone as great and interesting as yameul should be given to us in little bits. merely wheting, but not satiating. besides, it leaves room for more stories. i can\'t imagine that this would be the only deicated outing.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.