Author Topic: Player Killing  (Read 3203 times)

Agape13

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Player Killing
« on: July 04, 2002, 05:58:06 pm »
Will there be any player killing robbing stealing mugging looting or any such action against other players? I sure hope so....

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 06:32:24 pm »
read the FAQ.
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Agape13

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 06:32:56 pm »
If not killing at least KO

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 07:15:22 pm »
There you go again Parasite, with the wise atitude....JK.
I was trying to convince some ppl of introducing PvP conflicts into the game, outside of the arena, but was cut down at the root.... :(
And what does KO mean?

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2002, 01:06:59 am »
KO = KnockOut, don\'t u ever watch boxing? :D
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
WOW, wow
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2002, 03:40:42 pm »
8o WOW, wow, i thought it was like a game term or something, did not even try to look at it that way...

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2002, 12:09:12 am »
If PvP free for all is your main desire, there are several (failed) games out there you could play to have this.  I would suggest you find them, where essentially all people who don\'t share your view will have been run off by the other people who feel the way you do.

- Vengeance

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2002, 01:40:15 am »
As i have pointed out on several ocations, I like Pking just for PKing. Since most of the players are more inteligent than your average mob, they make for an interesting hunt. And as i have also said, i kill but dun loot, leave the corpse where it is. I mean it\'s one thing to kill, and other to steal one\'s hard earned stuff.

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2002, 09:41:29 am »
In truth I love Pking?the problem is, most if not all pkers (myself included) have at one time done things just to cause grief to other players. It may have been corpse camping or it may simply have been singling one person out and killing them over and over again.

Now I would say that the only people I ever did this to had it coming (because of insults or whatever) but I only stopped when I thought it was fair, or the person logged off.

Another thing I was part of in EQ on the race war server, I was part of  large invasions into city areas and taking people out at their spawn points. In EQ it was easy to find.

At the time I would have said ?Well this is the Race War? but now that I am on the other side of the counter, I want to create a gaming experience where such things can be enjoyed on occasion by all. While there will be PvP areas such as arenas?I am pretty sure there will be areas that encourage, or at least allow the player to attack others based on faction, or culture, or guild. The details of this are not clear yet, but as time goes on I hope it becomes possible to have these areas and encourage a style of play that is fun by most.
One thing that I can assure you. Killing another person except in a dual/arena setting will have an effect on faction. Though in most cases this will be a change that is wanted. This may affect thing in a no intended way.

I am a strong advocate of treating NPCs as PCs as far as rules go. But this goes both ways, if killing an NPC would change your faction standing, so will killing a PC.

While I personally would love for Characters to become Outcasts and Bandit Types, it will require a lot of thought and safeguards to ensure it is done in a fashion where players can not ruin the experience of other gamers (attacking new characters, or weaker characters, over and over). But I would like a way for a stronger character to shut another player up when he is insulting everyone because he knows he can get away with it. But at the moment no clear way that can not be abused has come to mind.

I guess that is the Challenge. To create possibilities that taken to extremes can not be abused.

In the end there are many failed or very poor games that have this problem and there are beginning to be some games that offer solutions.

I am hoping we can find an adequate solution. The PK on PK off thing is very poor, and a simplistic solution.

But we will offer interesting areas where Pking is possible, and or where group Vs. Group play is possible?Or team Vs team play is possible. While I have some semi creative ideas. I am not sure if they are worth implementing?though I think they are  :D

-Paxx      
-Paxx

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2002, 10:53:38 am »
I played this one game where every now and then tehy would let anyone pk anyone wherever they wanted...it would only last like two days or something and the PKers would get their fill of slaughtering as many people as possible....they also made it where you were safe inside buildings so that if  you knew ya would be killed you just stay in the buildings (runnig from oen to another) it was pretty fun  :D

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Cool
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2002, 11:07:12 am »
What game was that kiern that sounds so fun. :D

OutKast Tha Profet

Death is only the beginning you dont want to know the rest.:evil:
\"Hunt This\"
Secondary Leader of \"TOB\"

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I agree General
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2002, 11:27:40 am »
Yep i agree with the TheGeneral i am a bountyhunter and i love to kill and capture but i do not steal and i am also a man of honor i do not lie i just like capturing the poor things and i also think there should be a forum where u can post bounties like the bounty forum and people can pay u for killing someone in the game for them or something i love that its fun and easrier for us bountyhunters to find our bounties please take this into concidiration i will be posting it at the wish list too. :D

OutKast Tha Profet

Death is only the beginning you dont want to know the rest.:evil:
\"Hunt This\"
Secondary Leader of \"TOB\"

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2002, 03:11:54 pm »
if, we have Pking we will have a bounty system...but it will be in game and not out of game
-Paxx

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2002, 07:32:11 pm »
Well, this is going to be long, so stay with me. I will put in some smilies to make it a bit friendly, and not so boring.

Anyhow. As paxx has mentioned, PK could be a way of getting rid of an unwanted/bad player that flames everyone, ninja loot, and generally harrases all. Instead of deleting his acount, so he can make a new one and continue with the same stuff, other players can make him leave for good, making this game a happier place for a bigger comunity. :D
The problem with spawn killing can be EASYLY sold, by making the main town, villages a heaven, or a safe place for players, no one can touch you. Also, by making the area around the city where the noobs spawn a safe place, and i am talking about a BIG area, this would give them a chance to lvl up, and hunt without any hear once or ever.
Furthermore. By making PKing only available to player of a sertain skill LVL. What i mean is, a player can NOT, and will not be allowed to attack anyone untill he/she is has reached a lvl 10 for example in any single skill (the lvl can be worked out later on). But that will get the noobs a chance to grow and get better armor, so that they can take several blows, and will have enough money to buy pots to heal up. This way a stronger players will not be able to pic on the noobs right of the bat, even if they are out of the safe zone. And the noobs will not be able to pic on each other, as well as other STRONGER players since they are not lvl 10 in any skill yet.
And when a player feels that they are strong enough, they can get to lvl 10, and be allowed to PK, and be prone to PKing. :))
And i mean, i read so many posts about REALISM, and making the game as real as possible. But why take out the PKing than, what kind of a real thing is that? PKing adds for danger, looking behind u, and seeing someone creeping up on you when you are 100 meters deep in the cave, and knowing that only one of you will make it out alive. It also not EVERY player would chose to PK, i mean for every ONE PKer, there would be like 50 non PKing ppl.
I hope you had the patience to read this, and actully agree with me on some of this stuff. REMEMBER, that this is only my opinion, and this is not meant to anything but that. I also hope that i have convinced some of you about the \"joys\" of PKing.
I understand that there is a whole other story to Pking, but this thing is meant to be bias(most likely spelled wrong). So if anyone want to add to this, they are more than welcome to.
Thx for your time. :D

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2002, 09:23:13 pm »
This will might be long, and while I mean no direct insult to you TheGeneral, I think you have a very skewed vision of reality. And this entire post is designed to hopefully change your mind a bit or to distance myself from your remarks because if people think of PKing as you describe?there will be not even a semblance of PKing and I feel that will be a shame.
(in essence this post is attacking your concept of PKing, why I am making that clear I don?t know I know you are intelligent enough to figure that out)

If your complete PKing vision was in place?something similar to Ultima Online (original incarnation would appear) Gangs of people attacking others just for the joy of knowing the other player is cursing at his Key Board.

Where groups would camp out around places where the PK vulnerable would be going to?in your example the level 10 people.

That would cause nothing but grief.

Your argument of making it Realistic (one of our design goals) and that it would be more realistic to allow across the board PKing?where in the history of civilization has there ever been rampant killing of people with no consequence and little reason, you may say all the time Wars, The French Revolution, the Nazis?
Well that is where I would say ?That is when Civilization has broken down, and that it was not Civilization that did it.?

In a standard Civilization (reality) when you kill the residents and youth of a town, city?people would hunt you down and string you up on a pole, crucify you, burn you at the stake, imprison you?

So if you want a ?Realistic? PK system like you describe, there will have to be Bounty Hunters, who once they find you will take you to who ever is paying the most for you.

The Payer, in this case would then choose what to do with you, since people return from the dead in this game?killing you would not be an option that would enter the mind?torture?but since this will be geared to PG-PG13 we can?t have that?imprisonment.

Your Character will be imprisoned indefinitely in a tiny 4x5 cell in a magical plane of existence?that keeps you nourished enough to stay alive but not enough to try an escape, and all while not allowing you to move or speak?in essence your Character would be gone from the game world?unless someone of power and influence wanted you back.

This I feel would not be fun for anyone.

(Welcome to my twisted view of reality)  

So, I recommend you try and come up with ways to include some of the PKing aspects while not destroying the fun for other players?  

I have Ideas for special areas and that these areas have different rules, this would be fun and a nice change from the routine. But would only affect those who wanted to be there.

I have ideas where most of the zones be subject to Faction Vs. Faction PKing, only factions that oppose each other, but the truth is most of the Devs feel this would not be fun.

I have ideas where a player can in essence become totally for a NPC faction?he can only do business in certain locations where most players would not, upon going to anyplace he is KOS to most?but he can kill whoever he wishes.

If enough players go this rout?there would almost be the Pking that you desire?but there is no chance that that player is going to the major PC towns?and most PCs would and possibly could not do business with you.  Your Chat abilities would only be with those who are similarly outcast.

And there are a few other ideas I have floating around. But your wanting to be a ?grief Pker? just shuts any doors I might open others on the Dev team to, they think PK and they think of exactly what you describe wanting.

Well that is my opinion on the subject

-Paxx
-Paxx