Author Topic: Player Killing  (Read 3205 times)

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2002, 01:04:07 am »
Well, after reading your post i have realized that you completely branched out from the ideas that i have said, as though u did not even read my post, or read certain parts of it, and made up the rest. I have NO idea where you go the Nazis ideas, or about the Wars and stuff, because that is a twisted version of what i said. Not only did I \"sugest\", and keep in mind this is only sugestions, how to implement PKing into the game, but also how to prevent unwanted PKing. I have never played Ultima, and would not know about this, but from what you have said, Pking was allowed ANYWHERE. But that is what i was sugesting, make areas for PKing, somehow i think we are arguing the same thing. And as for reality, i am not the one that wants \"reality\" in the game. As a matter of fact i would stay as far from it as possible.
And I am sure you have read some of the posts below, if you did you would know that it\'s not all about stealing the other guy\'s stuff. I dun know what games you have player, but they all seem to be messed up (to put it kindly) from the way u describe.
Even further, u can make that you drop some of your stuff when you die, how is that for reality? Or once u die, that is it, your character is gone, FOREVER, that would stop any sorts of actions completely.
Still just sugesting. I mean that is what the forums are for, right. :D

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2002, 02:22:28 am »
The only part I may have misunderstood about the first post is weather or not  the character chooses to PK and be PK vulnerable, or if after a certain point (based on skill) he is.

Originally posted by TheGeneral

The problem with spawn killing can be EASYLY sold, by making the main town, villages a heaven, or a safe place for players, no one can touch you. Also, by making the area around the city where the noobs spawn a safe place, and i am talking about a BIG area, this would give them a chance to lvl up, and hunt without any hear once or ever.
Furthermore. By making PKing only available to player of a sertain skill LVL. What i mean is, a player can NOT, and will not be allowed to attack anyone untill he/she is has reached a lvl 10 for example in any single skill (the lvl can be worked out later on). But that will get the noobs a chance to grow and get better armor, so that they can take several blows, and will have enough money to buy pots to heal up. This way a stronger players will not be able to pic on the noobs right of the bat, even if they are out of the safe zone. And the noobs will not be able to pic on each other, as well as other STRONGER players since they are not lvl 10 in any skill yet.
And when a player feels that they are strong enough, they can get to lvl 10, and be allowed to PK, and be prone to PKing. :))

I had read it as once you get to level 10 or whatever in a number of skills (become competent) you are subject to PKing.

I am now not sure what you meant. I am sorry if I mistook what you said. But now that I have reread it about 10 times (thinking I may be a moron) I am now sure that you may have miswritten something or just not made it clear.

I often go off on tangents and I often go off from my original intent, and at the same time forget paragraphs thinking I typed them and I just thought I did :-)

The issue with selective PKing (I chose if I can PK and am subject to PK) is no one does it after a short time.

The problem with everyone being subject to PKing in most areas is it causes grief.

My use of Nazies, French revolution, War and such was to basically say I know there are times in history where mass killing happened, but that it was not the norm in Semi-civilized cultures/communities.

As far as strong man (you die once) world?it has been discussed, and discarded.

As for reality in the game :-)
I really feel reality is really overused among the dev crew and they really need to say we are really just building a really cool world that will really take a lot of real world factors into account, but not at the price of game enjoyment ;-)
I just wanted to see how much I could overuse Real?

But the point is still there.

As far as dropping equipment?I wanted that to be the case, I wanted PCs to be treated as NPCs when they die. If the NPC loots then I have to kill him to get whatever I lost? and in the case of animals I wanted them to drag the still living bodies of characters away as they avoid direct combat.

But that was overruled :-(

I had a different system that went off in the other direction?way into the fantasy, but that takes too long to describe.

Anyway I think you are right in that we may be arguing for the same thing.

But from what I read on your post, it seemed that PKing was nearly every ware, this will not happen. But there may be other ways to do it, and if one that causes no grief where created it would likely get implemented?the problem is figuring what is acceptable grief and what is not.

In the end the best description of the Goals of the Game is to have a Paper and Pencil feel, and freedom. But have the quick yet complex combat that computers can provide.

If you read the quote of yours that I added you may be able to understand why I mistook your post.
As it is Pking is a tough sell with the dev team because of how it ruined many games. And suggesting Open season on all players above a certain level except in newbie areas and cities, will probably never make it into a major MMORPG again, except novelty servers or something like that.
?that is how I understood your post?

-Paxx
-Paxx

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2002, 04:11:49 am »
I really wonder why people still discuss Pking. I mean, there have been dozens of posts about it, I read all possible options more then once. But sice most of the devs don\'t agree, pking will not be in the game. I joined the Dev team some months ago, and yet I\'ve seen numerous discussions about it in the dev channel on IRC. But every discussion ended the same way: tehre will be no pking. I like pk too, don\'t get me wrong. But after all there posts and discussions it became quite useless to talk about it, since it\'s not ging to change anyway. If I were you guys I\'d let it rest for now.

I think when we actually have a playable game and the people are demanding pk, we will have it anyway. But as long as we had no chance to test our rules system I don\'t think its going to change.

Discuss all you want, I just say that I think it\'s useless (for now).

No offence ppl  8)
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2002, 11:21:43 am »
Actually ParaSite, i am the same person you have most of those discussions about PKing on IRC :D . And i do fully understand that it will not by implemented in the game, for understood reasons. But it can still be discussed further to see what ppl think about it, and their experiences with it, you know, the general opinion of the masses.

The Edited Part:
And suggesting Open season on all players above a certain level except in newbie areas and cities, will probably never make it into a major MMORPG again, except novelty servers or something like that.

Well, you got it right. But i am talking about a REALLY high lvl, like a lvl that only the very few would be able to get to. At this lvl you can even have non-drop armor and weapons so that your quested one time only armor would not be lost. And even if you do lose money, you would have 100 times as much in the bank (so that would not effect you much)

P.S. pardon my horrible spelling.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2002, 11:37:12 am by TheGeneral »

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2002, 01:34:00 pm »
Invariably, the people who advocate free-for-all PKing here have never played a PKing game and therefore have no idea what they are talking about.  They only envision themselves as the uber player who can kill anything, not themselves as the clueness n00b who gets killed 4 times in the first 20 minutes they are playing.

FFA PKing is NOT fun and we are NOT doing it, period.  We may have selective environments where PvP combat is allowed or appropriate, but it will be to enhance fun, not realism.

- Vengeance

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2002, 03:01:21 pm »
I think you name says it all, Vengeance.
And your words hurt me. I dun know if you meant this for me, but i sure looked that way.
Reading the above posts would have given you the idea THAT i do understand that PKing will not be implemented, and that is IT. As well as realism, I do not like that in games. But you still go on.
As for the Pking games that i have played, or games that i have played without PKing, here they are:

Lineage
Redmoon
ElKardian
Elemental Saga(for a bit)
Ragnarok Online
Endless Ages
Helbreath
AND Shining Lore will open on July 20th.
I do not know how many games you have to play to be still considered a noob, but i think i know a bit about the world of MMORPGs, they all follow the basic concept.

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Valkyr

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2002, 05:05:24 pm »
I haven\'t read the entire thread (sorry, no time), so if anyone has mentioned what I am about to say, forgive me. What about some form of punishment? Like there could be a Guard \"guild\" made and run by the developers. Anyone above a certain level could come and join. If someone PKs they are added to a list that the \"Guards\" could view. The more PKs you carry out, the more effort the \"Guardians\" put forth to capture you. You could be put in prisom. You could be fined. A number of different things. PKing, mugging, etc. is very important for guilds such as mine. Also, there should be protected areas where n00bs can live and NO ONE can PK.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2002, 05:43:20 pm »
I wasn\'t referring to anyone in particular with this, as we have had at least 20 different threads on this topic.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2002, 06:59:20 am »
Could be kewl if you added like an arena of some kind, where you could challenge other players to a duel, then others could come and spectate the battle, or you could hold PvP tournaments there or something  :D If you ask me, that\'d be really sweet  :)
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Azaghal

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2002, 07:31:17 am »
If, PKing is going to implented, imo, it should be restricted to certain dueling areas, such as arenas, or a wood. Why? See Diablo I and II. People tried all possible tricks to kill you and loot your corpse. You can\'t just \'expect\' people to play with honour.

The idea of dueling arenas I support, for that way it still allows people to settle their conflict in swords.

lokee

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Combats
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2002, 12:30:55 pm »
I think it\'s a bad Idea to stop a combat when a participant doesn\'t want to fight, I mean; this wouldn\'t happen if it was in a real life! ?(

\"You should be careful if you don\'t know where you\'re going,
\'Cuz you might not get there!\". Yogi Bera [/I][/U]

Join The Bism! [/I][/U]

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2002, 01:19:11 pm »
I am asuming you did not read the entire post, otherwise you would know that this game is not being build to simulate real life. Killing in real life blows, and you would know that IF you read the entire post! X(

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Woa!!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2002, 01:21:38 pm »
There needs to be PK\'ing thats the main reason i play mmorpg\'s because of the pk\'ing if there is no pk\'ing i will have to hurt my self for spending so much time in these forums. X(  In YoUr EyeS ForSaKen Me X(

Death is only the beginning you dont want to know the rest.:evil:

\"Hunt This\"

OutKast Tha Profet:evil:
Secondary Leader of \"TOB\"
\"The Order of the Blade\"

\"Hunt This\"

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2002, 01:25:42 pm »
*hands him a shotgun* HERE, knock yourself out, you still don\'t seem to get it, THERE WILL BE NO PKing!   X(  X(

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Die fool
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2002, 01:26:58 pm »
*grabs the shotgun and whips around really fast and runs off laughing muahhahahaa:evil:*

\"Hunt This\"

OutKast Tha Profet:evil:
\"The Order of the Blade\"

\"Hunt This\"