Author Topic: RPMS are here!  (Read 4973 times)

voidinit

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 03:31:51 pm »
First, you recursively changed all three dirs to group \"users\"?  Did you chmod -R g+w all three dirs?  I assume your user is a member of group users.

If I understand you correctly you have never installed planeshift before?   That means you have never updated before.  Usually on a brand new installation you would run /usr/local/planeshift/updater first.  I have never not done this, so I don\'t know how the game reacts to running without the updating first.  It could be that psclient is trying to load art that you do not have yet.

If you try to run /usr/local/planeshift/updater, and get the messgae \"Your version of the updater is newer than the servers.\", you have a couple of choices.

1.) You can wait for the planeshift guys to update their server code.
2.) You can try to to find older code, with an older updater and build it instead of installing planeshift via RPM (The crystal and cel and libcal3d RPMS will work just fine for this, you just need the -devel- packages).
3.) If and when I get the time I\'ll publish my art and data directories.  I\'m at work right now, so that isn\'t an immediate option.   I\'m not sure if PS will allow that either since their art isn\'t GPLed, only their code.

voidinit

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 08:31:10 pm »
Now that the updater is running you\'ll need to:

rm /usr/local/planeshift/vfs.cfg

AFTER running the updater in order for psclient to run properly.

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Torrents
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 12:50:02 am »
I\'ve got torrents. Please seed them when you are done. http://planeshift.bot24.no-ip.com/torrents/

Nedhrys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 02:43:23 am »
thanks, folks

I did the mkdir thing, as root, which worked ok. Tried to reinstall -  

still getting error messages though:

\"Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package/Deb.pm line 727.
warning: unable to add ownership fixup code to postinst as the postinst is not a shell script!
libcal3d_0.9.1-2_i386.deb generated
2 not fully installed or removed.
Done.\"

anyone got any good ideas here?

thanx, folks

Nedhrys

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 02:47:54 am »
You are using Debian, which does not really support RPMs. It converts the RPMs into DEBs and then installs those. You should try to follow the instructions at http://laanx.fragnetics.com/debian.php.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 04:45:51 am by theRealGorbulas »

Nedhrys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 02:53:39 am »
thanx, Gorbulas

It seems that the xandros rpm installation manager first transfers the rpm to deb, then tries to install.

I\'ll try your advice. The link seems like it\'ll give me a lot of useful background info.

ciao,

Nedhrys

Nedhrys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 04:36:40 am »
ok, gorbulas,

i\'ve tried to run the commands on the debian-client page from the console.
 first, it doesn\'t recognise libvorbis-dev, although the other commands in the first section seem to work ok.

then, for the second section, the command starts with cvs.
after sniffing about the net for a while, i suspect that this is the concurrent versions system. Does not seem to be installed on my machine - it tells me:

\"florian@XANVBQS7U53:~/crystalbluedev$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cal3d login
bash: cvs: command not found\"

so what now? I\'ve tried finding the cvs program - but again, it\'s mostly rpm\'s, which my system seems to choke on.

I need to figure out how to install from  targz files, is that it?

thanx for taking the time...

Nedhrys

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 05:00:39 am »
Try \"apt-get install cvs\" to install cvs. libvorbis might be in a different package. I\'m not a Debian expert, so I wouldn\'t know where to look.

Nedhrys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 05:14:32 am »
thanx again gorbulas,

cvs seems to be working - i managed to install it.
The console seems to indicate that cvs is now busy updating a whole bunch of files.

Still trying to figure out libvorbis. I located the file in my /usr/lib directory.
I\'ll see how far i get with my aimless groping...

ciao,

Nedhrys

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 05:19:43 am »
You can install libvorbis from source if you need to, but make sure that when you run configure you set prefix to where libvorbis is, minus any /lib. So if it is is in /usr/lib, then do ./configure --prefix=/usr.

Nedhrys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 05:38:42 am »
gorbulas,

you speak in an arcane tongue that i have not yet mastered.

I suspect that all will become clearer with time, and bear your advice in mind.

in the meantime, would it make sense to copy libvorbis to the working directory, or can i point to the location of libvorbis?

thanx,

nedhrys

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 05:52:31 am »
The difference between -dev and non -dev packages is that the -dev ones are just the headers. You won\'t be able to run PS without those headers because one of the CS plugins won\'t build. These headers are only required at compile time, and are never needed if you are only using precompiled packages(we are going to need to compile PS from source if the RPMs don\'t work, so we need the headers). Moving your libvorbis into the working directory won\'t help.
Installing libvorbis from source code will install these headers, but it sounds like you might have difficulty doing so. You might want to try looking around with Google or ask the people in #debian or something. There are many people more knowledgeable about Debian than I am.

confused

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 11:06:08 am »
I tried to run the updater:

./updater
./updater: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Check to see that I have Curl installed, the version is 7.11.39. It seems like the updater is using a very old version of Curl. Is this correct?

EDIT:
Checked cURL website, it does not have versions of 7.10 or ealier anymore.

So close yet so far! :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 01:20:31 pm by confused »

confused

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 02:29:48 am »
Those who managed to install the RPMs and update PS, how did you get passed the cURL version problem?

Nedhrys

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 07:43:57 am »
hey, confused, i\'m not even that far yet...

in trying to install libogg (for libogg-dev) which is needed by libvorbis, i used a .deb file. As a result, my installation manager shot himself in the foot - purged hosts of system files, including its own executable version and most of the kde.

there\'s me trying to reinstall the whole thing, after searching for more than an hour for a usable console...  

but now, finally, i\'m back together again, and most everything seems to work.

If anyone knows how to avoid that kind of a freak-out, please lemme know.

Meanwhile, I\'ll try to actually get some work done...

ciao,

Nedhrys