Author Topic: Newbie FAQ to Demo  (Read 15107 times)

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Newbie FAQ to Demo
« on: August 14, 2002, 09:23:18 am »
Well I realized that there have been several posts about the same problems and I thought I\'d try to list as many problems and solutions as I could. This should answer a number of questions that you may have. For specific game questions please check the PlaneShift web site and any other questions you may have, feel free to post.

This refers to the client version molecularblue

1. Is there sound in the PlaneShift\'s alpha stage?

Yes. Actually there is, while I didn\'t realize this until just yesterday there is sound. You have to open up notepad, open file, and go to the the PlaneShift main directory. Make sure at the bottom it says \'all files\' and then open psclient.cfg and then look for this:

;Sound renderer
;System.PlugIns.iSoundRender = crystalspace.sound.render.software

Delete the \';\' (semi-colon) at the begining of the second line and save. It will look like that:

; Sound renderer
System.PlugIns.iSoundRender = crystalspace.sound.render.software

Now open PlaneShift and you should hear music.  8)

2. I can see the the chat menu but the background is the loading screen or is all black. Or I\'m zooming around in the air but I want to get back on the ground. What can I do?

First I\'d try typing, \'/spawn\' in the chat box. If this doesn\'t work reset PlaneShift. If you are still having problems restart your computer. And if the problem is still occuring post something on the message board and wait for a response.

3. The doors wont open! What key do I press to open doors!?

Hehe. Well, most people don\'t realize that the doors can\'t open until someone tells them..even if it means trying to open the doors for 20 minutes (not that I would do that  :D ) but the real story is that the doors don\'t open for now. The game is in very early alpha I believe and these doors just don\'t work for now.

4. How can I make it play in full screen instead of in a window?

Open the file called \'psclient.cfg\' in notepad ( or your favorite text editor ) and search for the line:
Video.FullScreen = no
and change to:
Video.FullScreen = yes

5. And, I messed up on creating my character... is there anyway to change his stats?

Well for right now, it\'s in alpha and you can\'t apply most of these stats so it\'s not a big deal. Sometime around beta they will wipe the characters and you will be able to make your character more to your liking.

6. What is the server name?

The server name you have to enter into the box to log in is: planeshift.fragnetics.com.

7. It game doesn\'t fit in my window... what should I do?  

You have two ways. One is to change the resolution of the game. Go to psclient.cfg and edit those lines:
Video.ScreenWidth = 800
Video.ScreenHeight = 600

You can change the values to 1024 and 768 or to 640 and 480 or other.

The second way is to change the resolution on your system, simply go to, Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings, and then change it to a higher resolution.

8. Win XP users (and maybe other users aswell):

If you have trouble with logging in, go to the properties of \"psclient.exe\". Under compatibillity, change the compatibillity from Win95 into Win98/ME.

9. How do I download PlaneShift?

To download PlaneShift you must first click the downloads section on the main page. Then you click the sub-link client. Download all 5 parts and reassembler into the same folder. When all 5 parts and the reassembler are done downloading run the the reassembler. This will create an executable file (.exe.) You must run the .exe file to download PlaneShift. After completing the installation you must then run pssetup. Configure PlaneShift to your likings and then exit out. Then run updater. This will download any new files that are missing from your PS directory. Now you are ready to play.

NOTE: If you are missing the .dll file msvcp7 visit the known bugs section the PlaneShift website.

10. How do I create an account for PlaneShift?

To create an account you simply download the game (need help downloading? see question and answer 9)and go to create. Customize your character to your liking with skills, occupations, and looks. Then you enter his or her name and you are done.

Once again, if you have any other questions please let me know or post them somewhere\'s else on the message board.

Version 3.4 -- Molecular Blue  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 08:21:09 pm by Tomaseth »

Gateway

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 05:19:22 pm »
I am having major problems logging in.  It just stops responding about 8/10 times.  Also I seem to not be able to write anything in the chat area.  No letters appear.

My properties for psclient.exe has three options under attributes only: read-only hidden and archive, all of which are not helpful here.

BTW im running ME

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 05:26:29 pm »
You\'ll probably have better luck on the technical help board ( if i knew the answer i\'d help you, but i dont  :D )

Kessho

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Differences?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 06:02:55 pm »
um...i just simply want to know is the complete difference between the openGL mode and the slow mode other than knowing that slower mode is just slower and runs ok... ?(

Alrian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
linkdead
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 06:00:53 pm »
When I want to upload my char it says I am linkdead, what it means?

Waahlord

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 02:41:40 pm »
Listen up master i`m running on a new computer with windows XP and i can`t loggin or connect my character and it says the server is not running or nonreachable and i should go to planeshift website!!!
I?ve tried everything and i dont understand that ****
about chanching from windows 95 to 98/me in proberties because my computer does NOT run in 95 it runs in XP so plz ******* help me!!!!!!!!

I?m NOT a noob

bomber man

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 05:52:57 am »
when ever i log in get connection dead or something i need help

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 12:30:23 pm »
bomber man, it is probably a firewall or software firewall on your machine or network.  Fix that and it will work.

shiningknight_terror

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 06:40:39 pm »
i have dl all five part of the cleint and resembler....but when i click on the resembler,a dos screen appear and disappear very fast...and nothing happen....

salamando

• Traveller
    • View Profile
TROUBLE WITH RESEMBLER
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 07:42:21 am »
The resembler is just a batch file
EDIT the batch file with any text editor and make sure all the files in that batch file match EXACTLY the files in the same directory as your batch file. i think the first file has an extra \"1\" where in the batch file it has no \"1\" change that and your resembler will work :o)
Forever here to help you with your travels

SpinDragon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 05:05:32 am »
i have tried many things to connect to the game.. and all have failed. i keep receiving \"if you are really getting this please report it\" it apears that i am totaly...

LinkDEAD....    

anyone have any ideas to fix this particular problem?

PeregrineBF

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 03:25:32 am »
Experienced the following problem: Planeshift installer gave an error, saying there was not enough memory.
Solution: redownload.

mirglok

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Hi I am new please help
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2003, 05:57:13 pm »
I just downloaded all 5 parts of Planeshift demo, installed it, and thats where am stuck what am I to do next???

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2003, 06:28:05 pm »
So let me get this straight, you have run the reassembler and the exe file? Go to Start > Run > C:\\Program Files\\PlaneShift. After completing the installation you must then run pssetup. Configure PlaneShift to your likings and then exit out. Then run updater. This will download any new files that are missing from your PS directory. Now you are ready to play.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 06:32:45 pm by Tomaseth »

SpaceDave

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
link dead
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2003, 12:52:07 am »
i get the link dead problem,, but only on custon creation.