Author Topic: Water and Air adventure  (Read 603 times)

Strider Centaur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Water and Air adventure
« on: August 19, 2002, 03:07:45 pm »
We have an aquatic elf race so I assume the means there will be some Underwater Adventures.   This one thing is missing from most MMORPGs as they tend to ignore the problems of a fluid enviornment ( EQ being on of the few that actually as Underwater adventures, and they don\'t do it very well ).

Flight?  Why is that every game avoids the Z axis like a plague?   Why can\'t we have flying races?  Balance?  What is the use of balance if it flies in the face of good game play?

I would love to see environments used, both above and below sea level.  

Strider Centaur

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 03:09:41 pm »
i agree with that. but there will balance issues that need to be worked out...
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Mephisto

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Well
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 04:32:20 pm »
Well you can fly, with the use of a pterosaur,
If you are wealthy you can buy one, although they cost alot.
About the water i\'m not really sure, I hope they implement something though because it would be rather cool (and scary, water is scary!) if you could in some way travel through water, and have like \"underwater\" quests that only certain classes could do.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 04:32:41 pm by Mephisto »
-Mephisto

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
hmm...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 06:45:09 pm »
im sorry but i dont like water except for maybe when i am in a boat or something and flying is not something that fantasy does so that is kinda something i hope that they do not put in there unless they make it where you can ride a pegasus or griffon or something like that... that would be alright but if we were to just spread our wings and fly nope not such a swell idea... ;)

Death is only the beginning you dont want to know the rest.:evil:
\"Hunt This\"
Secondary Leader of \"TOB\"

Strider Centaur

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 08:45:33 pm »
Flying in not something fantasy does?   I would think, short of Scifi, Flying is mostly a fantasy thing.

Spell casters in most systems have fly/levitate spells

As you mention Pegasys, Dragons and lets not forget demon and the like all tend to fly in fantasy.   While having a race that could fly with no form of wings would seem very silly, adding a race that has wings( personly I like bird wings, but bat or insect work too ) would seem very fantasy like.

The problem most people have with flying in RPGs tend to be based on the unfare movement and combat advantages. If you examine movement when it matters, it\'s not a real problem.  So they can navigate terain that pose problems to others.  They tend to be very vulnrable while doing it, I mean getting a arrow in a wing over a lava pit is a tad more serious than taking one in the leg next to a lava pit.   Another issue, mostly from GMs,  is that a flying character can circumnavigate important encounters in a adventure.  Again I find this not to be that true, all you have to do is give them a reason to deal with an encounter.  I mean really, just placing a encounter out there for no reason is really bad plot to begin with.  In my 20 years of DM/GMing I have had flying races available to PC for 15 of them.  I have never had a game suffer problems because of their ability to fly.  While table top PnP RPGing is not entirely the same as Computer RPGing, I find the concept of implementing a workable flying race in a computer based game less of a problem than in PnP.  Why?  Because we have a 3D visual representation of the world, and that in its self seems to scream to me, USE THE Z AXIS PEOPLE!

Here is my rundown on how I would ... err ... balance ... yuck.. a flying race:

1) Reduce carying capacity, yet allow them to hit as a normal human.
2) Reduce defensive values when in flight, while hitting a flying target is a bit harder than hitting a motionless target, in this case the target is marketably larger ( we assume due to wing span ) and less maneuverable vs. incoming attacks.
3) Limit flight time to mear seconds at a time.  Its not easy lofting 100+ lbs of body on two wings.   So yes you can fly over the river, to that boat or on top of a building, and do all of this at 2 or 3 times base land movement,  you are not going to fly everywhere.
4) Restrict armors to those made specificly for flying races, not a big deal since reduced carying capacity would also limit armor choices.
5) Increase the damage taken from certain attack types.  i.e. Crushing for hollow bones, or maybe even fire for feathery wings, etc.

The neat part of all of this is that its not that dificult to implement, nothing listed is super complex, and all could be done a game.   I would think all these variables would exist anyway for races, as they are comon to any fantasy race in one way or another.

as far as Im concerned make the races totally useless in combat, I can garauntee people will still play them.  Not because of their unbalanced nature, but because some people just want to fly.  ( Im one of them )  :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 08:56:12 pm by Strider Centaur »

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2002, 08:56:17 pm »
I for one would like to fly, who wouldnt?

but i dont think that would happen, Klyros, of course, can \"glide\" and magic users might have some levitate abiltiy or super jump or somethin of the sort

but flying through the whole thing? not saying its not possible...but....

there could be some kind of \"sky\" city although that would be kinda hard since everything is underground but you know what i mean... like a city floating above the others where you buy the flying creatures and most everything there deals with flying (magic spells, etc.)
and it could also have a lower gravity then most other places, so races like klyros would pratically be flying

i dunno, just an alternative idea...  :D

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 10:11:10 am »
I like this water idea a lot. In Morrowind, you can actually buy breathing spells, swim faster spell, walk on water spell... not to mention this is good for pearl diving. Of course, there are those annoying sea monsters....

Water is probably difficult to implement graphically... unless it looks really cheap like in the ol\' duke nukem. Instead of simulating real water physics, it\'s simply a matter of taking away the gravity and adding swimming animation.

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2002, 01:21:51 pm »
You know, all that distortion with water effects is only relevant when you look at something through water AND air; for example when you are in the coast and look at the fishes.
Once you are underwater, everything comes back to normal, with 3 major exceptions: things tend to be seen bigger than reality; human eyes not being adapted to water, we see \'blured\'; water is not as transparent as air, so we see less far, and often green or blue coloured.
I don\'t think those are very hard to implement effects, moreover if we forget about blur and glass effects wich are not very important...
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2002, 05:07:20 pm »
Water is nice, but remember that  this is a massive cave/stalactite, so you can\'t have too much water.

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!