Author Topic: Current download troubles  (Read 459 times)

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Current download troubles
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:04:09 am »
I read that the download is supposed to be 220MB, but the current version downloaded from sites is 210...this WILL cause troubles.

In fact, when I try to open the instauller, I get an error box that disappears SO quickly that I do NOT have time to read it. I would say it FLASHES across the screen. BOOM gone. I have tried many things, but the ONLY thing that I can think is that the version the download sites have is SMALLER than the actual working version. As you can see from the first lines...this is TRUE.

I will be watching to see if it is possible to download a PROPER version of this without the crystal blue and other site, sorry, I am not good at sites like that.

I managed to get to read part of it once, \"the file that you are trying to open is either corrupted or incomplete\" Well that is just about what I THOUGHT it was going to say, since the version is SUPPOSED to be more than 220MG and I only got 210, and that is ALL that is on the mirror sites.

Even going through bit torrent the size is LESS than what the main page says it should be. MAYBE I can get it to work, but if not...I guess I can\'t play it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 04:21:45 am by Lyrah »

Yonin Lah

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 05:02:56 am »
Um ... off hand I don\'t know about the exact sizes of the files in question.

But if you are concerned about the integrity of your downloads, the md5 signatures can be used as an extra means of validating them.  The main web site lists the signatures for each version that is/has been available for download.  Now (assuming you\'re using Windows and are familiar with using the command line) you just have to run md5.exe (which is also available on the web site) with the name of the downloaded file as an arguement.  eg:

md5 PlaneShift_CBV0.3.009.exe

After a second or two it will spit a code back out.  This code is the md5 signature, and if it matches the version you downloaded, the file should be ok.

Of course this does not preclude some other issue with your computer from disrupting the installation.  If that\'s the case, I dunno if I can help you any further.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:03:38 am by Yonin Lah »

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:43:43 am »
Thanks, what I think happened is that my D drive MIGHT have a corrupted sector and that PS got downloaded, by some SAD twist of fate into that very sector. Bit torrent somehow got the idea that I wanted it to download to my desktop, which is on my C drive (which I do not think has a bad sector...I HOPE!). When Bit Torrent FINALLY finishes (some time around NOON my time...give or take...and I only WISH I was exagerating) then I will see if it instauls. I have been surfing the forum while I wait.

PS community SEEMS rather nice, a bit quirky, but then...so am I, I should fit in nicely *crooked grin*

Externals

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 11:36:13 pm »
Lol, it is a good community. Two years and going strong :P
Of course you should fight fire with fire, you should fight everything with fire.   :P  Xantherus Icer  :P

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 01:30:37 am »
Issue was a corrupted sector on my D drive, once Bit torrent finished the download, I was able to instal the game. In fact, been playing it since about 7 pm Central.

Carmain

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 12:15:10 am »
i\'m haveing the same problem. after countless redownloads n such still nothing i tryed saving the file in diffrent sectors n even useing some of the mirrier sites but all do the same just flash and thats it. what should i do.?

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 06:27:45 am »
I just left the basic installer on my machine for months to avoid all this
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 06:28:14 am by WizardsRule »

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms

Carmain

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 07:02:12 am »
well not sure witch one i have i just found this game and been trying to install it since yesterday. I never changed my instaler . at least not that i know of always use install wizerd.

noni

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Having problems installing the game
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 03:48:25 pm »
I have downloaded PS from the website twice and when I try to intall the game I get the following error messege.

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.  This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.
You may want to contact the author of the installer to obtain a new copy.  It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch(NOT RECOMMENDED).

I haven\'t downloaded it on bitTorret because its a long wait but I am going to try that next and see what happends.  Does anyone know what the problem is and what is the /NCRC command line?  This game looks like its awsome so I am not going to give up trying to play it.  Help please.

noni

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 04:10:59 pm »
Awsome, i just downloaded the game on bittorret and it took about 5 minutes and strange enough it works.  How this happend I don\'t know but I am glad it did.  I am updating the game now and will be able to play soon.  W00T!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 04:12:13 pm by noni »