Author Topic: more spells or less???  (Read 1453 times)

Heron

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2002, 07:37:12 am »
Very good idea,

I like the idea of customising the spells and creating new ones but how it will be done exactly is another thing as there are many ways it could be done.

Perhaps each school of magic is related to a certain thing, ie the red magic casts spells which cause fire and burning, the blue causes healing etc, crystal can be primary attack spells and brown could be non combat related such as alchemy, herblaw etc.

If you have lets say a high level in red spells you could combine a certain feature in it to do with fire with crystal to make a primary attack spell which has an effect of fire with it, or something else.

Each spell could consist of about 5 attributes,

Healing:
Power:
Range:
Elemental:
Destruction:

You can use different attributes the higher your magic is in a certain type (crystal, red, brown) to make a unique spell combining all of them.

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2002, 08:18:48 am »
my idea is to limit the number of heal spells (as example) to 3 or so.

These 3 can be modified be using extra mana when casting or with items. Your lvl and magic skill will also improove your casting powers...

That way u wont get lost in the 15 numbers of diff heal spells, but the space can be used for other kind of spells

-Xolon-

Falcon Eyes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2002, 11:57:21 pm »
I would like to see a system of spell casting where spells are created (or prepared) by combining .  

You could limit the frequency of casting by adding cooldown periods on spells.  

You should be able to have a half dozen or so spells configured at any given time.  

Creating spells should be easy to do, but dangerous to configure during battle.

The type and amount of you could use in casting should be dependant on your skill in that type of power.

With only 6 different elements and combinations of 3, you could have up to 216 different spells (1, 2 and 3 position would be important).

You could also have mana burn for trying to cast a combination that does not exist or one for which you are untrained/unskilled.

Once you have set up your spells (known combinations could be listed in a Grimoire), you could either consume the gemstones used to form the spells, magic points, or just have cooldown/casting times (any could work to keep casting from turning into fireball-gattlin guns).

Just some thoughts (I\'ve actually build a dualling game in Java based on this model.  PM me if you\'d like a copy to play with).
~F~E~

me, i'm a thief
i'm a falling star
i'm a photograph taken
from where you are
-Sarah Slean

Avopaa

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2002, 06:20:44 pm »
Having 29 different healing spells is just stupid. One is enough. By using more mana the spell gets more powerful. Just like in the brilliant magic system in Dungeon Master.

Creating your own spells would be really neat. In Freedom Force the powers you create to your heroes are pretty much like spells. And it\'s really easy too!
An example:

Sinister Fire Bolt

Ranged
2 Projectiles
Projectile 1: Lower fire resistance, Magnitude: High
Projectile 2: Fire Damage, Magnitude: Medium
Range: Long
Accuracy: Medium
Radius: 0 m
Speed: High
Mana Cost: 20 dark mana, 10 fire mana

There you have it! A spell that first lowers the target\'s fire resistance, then burns the sucker.

Cthulu

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2002, 07:09:27 pm »
having 1 spell for an entire class of spells sucks. You dont need to use your most powerful heal everytime, different situations call for different spells, i would hate to cast complete heal on someone every time they need a heal, thats a waste of mana.
~Cthulu

Wohlrajh

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2002, 07:26:22 am »
I think we don\'t need huge ammounts of similar spells
(25 different heals are too much, 4 or 5 are enough)
I like the \"spell macro\" idea by Xandria, and combined with many different spells it could be great...
The diversity of spells is more important than the number of it...
I come from T4c where the spell system is good, see the list to make an opinion ( I think there\'s the good number of spells...) :
T4C spells
« Last Edit: September 29, 2002, 07:27:35 am by Wohlrajh »

Zark

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2002, 04:35:24 am »
Like Xolon i think 3 healing spell is enough and it\'s power must be improve with the lvl of the caster.

By the way, for the heal category spell, i would like to see 2 under-category:

- Personal Heal: the first who we can learn for healing 1 person

- General Heal: for higher lvl for the capacity to heal more than 1 person at a time ( the number of person could increase with lvl too )

Each of the 2 category are divided like Minor, Greater and Major Heal.

It\'s just a idea, but that sound good for me  8)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 04:35:46 am by Zark »