Author Topic: Strategy!!  (Read 360 times)

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Strategy!!
« on: September 06, 2002, 12:27:44 pm »
A way to make fighting more interesting is to involve more methods, like for spellcasters they have various spells.  But for fighters, they don\'t have much.  I was thinking that the fighter could differentiate (is that a word?) between types of attacks, like, there could be a button for slashing, a button for stabbing, and a button for blocking, and all that kind of stuff.  For example, you set a monster as an enemy and command yourself to kill it.  While fighting, you can toggle on and off using slashing attacks, or peircing, or whatever, to make battle more interesting for the fighters.

FyreBlade

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 01:26:19 pm »
Aruneko, i see a few problems with that idea. first, this is an rpg. as far as i know, most rpgs incorporate blocking as a passive thing where u have a chance to block. so having a button wouldn\'t work too well. but u could have it so that everytime u hit the button to block an attack, u have a chance to do it successfully. secondly, there\'s not pont in having more than one attack. i\'d like to see YOU slash with a pair of brass knuckles or stab with a club. on a more practical side, everyone would just find the attack that does the most damage, and keep using it. if u want a difference in speed, u should use a different weapon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2002, 01:26:58 pm by FyreBlade »

ChathVelve

Jal Khaless Zhan Waela. Oloth Zhan Tuth Abbil Lueth Ogglin. Khaless Nau Uss Mzild Taga Dosstan. Oloth plynn dos!

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 02:08:29 pm »
I think the point of this post is more about, keeping combat entertaining.

And I am of the mind that we can?we are just not fully sure how we will do that yet, but there are several ideas floating around.
-Paxx

Azora

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 12:41:48 am »
Perhaps in PvP, happenings there could be a 7 second time related turns, in order to make it \"hands on\", such comands for melee would be block, peire, stab, and for the gods of this game who have likely killed most of the monsters around and gained enough Exp. things like: omnislash ect.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 07:24:19 am »
Who says you can\'t stab with a club? I mean, sure, it turns into more of a prod, and doesn\'t really hurt your opponent that much... but still...
Seriously, though, just because there are weapons it wouldn\'t apply for doesn\'t mean it\'s not a good idea. There are lots of weapons that you could reasonably attack with a slash or a stab. Several types of swords, a halberd, a dagger... etc. Different types of attacks on the same weapon would be balanced so as to all be about as good, but with different specifics. Like maybe stabbing deals more damage, but it is less likely to hit and takes you longer to recover from. It\'d also determine the type of damage (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning), if that\'s implemented. It might also be good to have the option of only dealing subdual damage to knock your opponent out rather than kill them.