Author Topic: Gods!  (Read 726 times)

Avopaa

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Gods!
« on: September 22, 2002, 09:12:56 am »
How about adding different gods to serve in the game? Like in Nethack. You could get favors from your god, get bonuses to skills and/or abilities or just get out of trouble, like in Nethack. Pray too often, and get fried by a lightning bolt.

And please, for the love of god, don\'t make any item destroying traps, like in ADOM.
\"Yes! Finally I got the Sword of Asskicking +9, now lets just see what\'s behind this door...\" *BOOM* - Sayonora Sword of Asskicking!

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 11:59:28 am »
NOT THE sword of ASSKICKING!!! ;(
Yeah, that would be cool, it could be like an in-game church, you could even sacrifice things(depending on your religion, like food, or weapons, or armor) to your gods, to get a temp. power/skill boost in that area. And some gods can even hate other gods, so a favour to one would mean hate from te other. The possibilities are endless, you can even do quest from your god, now that i think about it...

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 12:45:03 pm »
From what i\'ve seen religion and things are already gona be put in it  :D

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Great idea!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 08:13:40 pm »
Anyways, I like the idea of having gods in the game. I also agree with serving those gods and getting rewards, too.  :D Maybe if there are going to be gods in the game to serve, maybe there should be some sort of \'favor\' meter. You gain favor by sacraficing \'things\' and completing quests. You spend your favor by praying fo certain things. Perhaps you can lose favor by doing \'dishonarable\' things, but I\'m not too sure...
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 12:33:47 am »
how about a history lesson?

go to: http://www.planeshift.it and read its history ;)

-Xolon-

Krovikan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 07:11:58 am »
I think it would be cool to worship different gods...
Let\'s say there are 10 gods with their own advantages and disadvantages. You should be able to worship up 2 gods... but worshipping a god contains also suffering the drawbacks for that particular god (for ex.: the god need a certain sacrifice each week, ...) And so if you wish to worhip a god you have to consider the pro and contra of that god...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2002, 07:12:27 am by Krovikan »

Rhisart

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 07:15:12 am »
Hmm like the idea of having a god.. especially if the god  can give the char advantages.
Abstraction is a concept
That hasn?t fully
Developed into something solid.

Krovikan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 07:21:50 am »
Yes each god should grant an advantage and he should also have a drawback

Avopaa

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 05:42:45 pm »
If you aren\'t that much into religion, you could always choose to be an atheist. You wouldn\'t get the same amount of bonuses than a devout follower, but a bonus to magic resistance could be reasonable. (You just don\'t believe in that \"magic\" stuff.)

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2002, 07:27:18 pm »
Just because you don\'t beleive in a god, doesn\'t mean you don\'t believe in magic. I mean, in the universe we\'re creating here, the exsistance of magic is plain enough, so it\'d be silly not to believe in it. It may be equally silly not to believe in the deities, depending on how strongly the gods are made manifest in this game. If it\'s a passive thing, where the only presence they have is through those who worship them, we should definately be able to not believe in them. If they\'re actively smiting people and changing the world and whatnot, one would have to be delusional not to believe in their exsistance, but we should still be able to choose not to follow any of them, though it wouldn\'t technically be atheism, because you acknowledge the exsistance of gods, you just don\'t serve them. In the former case, choosing to be an athiest should give a character an INT bonus :D :P

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 08:22:13 pm »
Duh! I meant in the fantasy world we\'re creating here. I thought I said that, but maybe I didn\'t. :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2002, 08:22:39 pm by David_HD »

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2002, 12:35:58 am »
this is all very nice but;

1)the developpers choose 2 main gods wich u can worship. There are a few more wich are noticed in the history but not that important.

2)Ok, the developers did talk about maybe altering the history a bit, but you dont believe they would totally modify it and add 8 more gods?

The dev team choosed for 2 main gods and not 10, so i think you have to be happy with only 2.

-Xolon-