Author Topic: IRC and why its not a good thing...  (Read 747 times)

Noobis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
IRC and why its not a good thing...
« on: September 14, 2005, 05:19:25 am »
IRC is a downloadable program that requires you to PAY a fee to use, but you get a free trail. It allows you to directly contact the Devs, but you have to download it and it costs money...

The Forum: IS FREE, the game: IS FREE, IRC: IS NOT FREE..

See how this can cause a problem... If someone wants to report the abuse of a gm, or something similar, he cannot unless he pays a fee and waits on the download time. Now then I know PS has a long download time, so if you can wait throught that you should be able to wait through the irc download right? Well, suppose someone is fed-up with waiting... The forum doesn\'t need to be downloaded...

The game being free, means that the help in making the game a better place should also be free, and the government should be a \"to the vote\" thing instead of a tyranny of overlords who AT WILL can destroy someones \"fun time\" just because they were having a \"bad day\".

Also, when one wants to argue a point, or reference such Tyrannical behavior, they can\'t, do to the fact that if there \"trial\" is up and they don\'t the money, or the memory to get IRC then how do you expect them to explain what happened?

If the devs are making a game where people are only suppose to have fun when they are \"Told\" to have fun, then I guess this is totally fine, but totally pointless. There are so many rules that need to be discussed among the players, about the gms, and there power... but we can\'t because of the fact that we have to pay for a what should be free service. That we may only use once in our whole time, or twice in two seperate times being 1-2 months apart....

Off Main Topic:

Naming Policy and \"so-called-spam\" in PS is actually very, very, VERY, ridiculous. Because if someone is a cat race, and wishes her/his first name to be Kat it should be allowed, because Kat is a legitimate name, its just when you take Real life into PS it doesn\'t seem legit, but then again I was muted, for shouting \"Spagetti\" ... They said spagetti doesn\'t exist... Well, if it doesn\'t then your basically ripping away my roleplaying theme, and even if it doesn\'t it should still just seem like \"gibberish\" to you. So if I said, \"I am a Dragon\" people should just look at me and be like, \"whats a dragon?\" instead of \"You can\'t say that because dragons don\'t exist\", well then they would because your actknowledging there existance in non-existance....

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 05:34:52 am »
You can still use mIRC if you dont pay.  Though I suppose technically you\'re not meant to.
But look at this from another perspective: PS is a free game, but you need a computer to use it!  Computers aren\'t free!  And you need internet.. thats not free!  This is a scam!  I cant play the game without spending money!  We should demand that the devs also setup a free computer and free internet provider so that people can truely play a free game!
As for the GMs, yes, obviously their only purpose for existing is to abuse their power and annoy us.  If you dont like that, well dont play the game.  Play some other quality, completed game instead of this less than half completed, buggy tech demo.
Actually now looking at my post I cant tell what im being sarcastic about and what im serious about... meh.  Its too late.  My first two paragraphs kind of make sense.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:37:10 am by ramlambmoo »

Noobis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 05:46:21 am »
Originally posted by ramlambmoo
But look at this from another perspective: PS is a free game, but you need a computer to use it!  Computers aren\'t free!  And you need internet.. thats not free!  This is a scam!  I cant play the game without spending money!  We should demand that the devs also setup a free computer and free internet provider so that people can truely play a free game!

You start with a computer.... you dont start with PS, you need a computer usually to even know about PS\'s existance...

You start with an internet connection... you need this to get PS and know about it in the first place as well....

Computer and Internet have greater uses and used more frequently then IRC.... so there for your statement is invaild...

You have a Forum, it is free, you dont have IRC when you have PS, IRC is not free... There for, a subsection should be on the government of the game, instead of having to go to a thing where you have to pay to talk about the government of the free game. And if the game wasn\'t free, you still should have to pay for something that you can do for free.

Your Statement is Invaild.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 05:52:12 am »
Originally posted by Noobis
The Forum: IS FREE, the game: IS FREE, IRC: IS NOT FREE..
Funny, I\'m frequenting irc for two years now and never actually paid anything...
So if I said, \"I am a Dragon\" people should just look at me and be like, \"whats a dragon?\" instead of \"You can\'t say that because dragons don\'t exist\", well then they would because your actknowledging there existance in non-existance....
Yes! they should also beg you for forgiveness because they tried to get you familiar with the realm!
And no, I wasn\'t sarcastic there... Well, ok, I was.
AKA Skald

lanser

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • No Longer Mordraugion Settings AD
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:02:44 am »
Originally posted by Draklar
Funny, I\'m frequenting irc for two years now and never actually paid anything...

shhh! I\'ve been using irc for over 10 years, hate to see the bill I would get I we did pay!
Hokinon Korere
Wandering Yliakum searching for lost memories...

Zinnius Zann
Right hand to a Queen

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 07:10:53 am »
You start with a computer.... you dont start with PS, you need a computer usually to even know about PS\'s existance...

You start with an internet connection... you need this to get PS and know about it in the first place as well....

Computer and Internet have greater uses and used more frequently then IRC.... so there for your statement is invaild...

You have a Forum, it is free, you dont have IRC when you have PS, IRC is not free... There for, a subsection should be on the government of the game, instead of having to go to a thing where you have to pay to talk about the government of the free game. And if the game wasn\'t free, you still should have to pay for something that you can do for free.

Your Statement is Invaild.

No, you dont nessecarily start with a computer, you just assumed that.  Even if we do all assume that you start with a computer, consider: Planeshift is very graphics intensive, and requries a fast computer.  Many people would need to upgrade their computer to use it.  Thus that would be a cost associated with the game.  IRC is a cost associated with the game, if you dont already have it- just like a faster computer would be a cost, if you dont already have that.  The same with fast internet.  There are all costs assoicated with getting the most out of the game.  You can play the game on a basic computer, with 56k modem, and without IRC to complain about GM\'s- Upgrading and paying each of these extra costs merely adds functionality to the game.  The devs dont promise to make a free game that allows you to complain about the GM\'s for free- thats an added feature, which, if you have the right software for, you can choose to do.
In fact, all of this is irrelivant, because you can use mIRC for unlimited time for free.  Therefore all your Statements are (belong to us? lol) Invaild.

Thief! Thief! You just wait until Khaled Mardam-Bey hears about this!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 07:16:32 am by ramlambmoo »

Taldor

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Tinker (traveling merchant)
    • View Profile
    • Bloodclaw
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 07:45:37 am »
IRC is a downloadable program that requires you to PAY a fee to use, but you get a free trail.

IRC is a protocol. mIRC is the program you mean. You can connect to IRC with other programs to, if you don\'t like mIRC.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:54:39 am »
Originally posted by ramlambmoo
Thief! Thief! You just wait until Khaled Mardam-Bey hears about this!
He can bite my sword... I\'m using Xchat >.>
AKA Skald

Noobis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:03:17 am »
:D :D :D :D :D

LOL!!!! LOL!!!

wow... I this was funny, personally, i didnt care, i was bored, so no flames, but I was talking about mIRC i didnt really no there was a difference, I didnt really care to look into it, its just the fact that I dont really remember what I was talking about, so post links i guess to free programs that connect to IRC channels.

maybe I was thinking about ICQ but I still cant remember what that is... but yah... mIRC you have to pay, and thats stupid... but I dont remember what I was talking about... except that need better GM\'s

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 10:36:41 am »
silverex.org X-chat 2
X-chat guys said it is too hard and takes too long to build x-chat for free, so this guy made it from scratch for free :tup:

druke

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 11:01:46 am »
if you are really lazy ...liek me ....

http://www.arcane-order.com/irc/index2.html

my how times have changed.....

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 11:57:42 am »
IRC is easily accesible for free either by simply not paying the software fee or using javachat, etc.

If someone wants to report abuse of any kind there are always PMs, emails, ... The point is abuse should not be called out publically but solved in private. Never knew IRC was \'the\' only way to do that.

The \'governement\' as you call it, I \'m assuming you mean the devs and everyone who helps make PS with this, should definitely not be a democracy. If they are things will take even longer than they do now. However I can see that the way GM\'s are chosen might be a bit too loose.

Very big point here that is usually overlooked ... this is a game being made and we are all allowed to test it without prior screening and without staying behind the curtains, like about any other game. Therefor we have no rights ... if you don\'t want to test this game and work with the people who make it but instead want to play and not have them put any limits or demands on you ... find a project that has already been finished. The thing I see here is the Devs give us all a bit of freedom since we can suggest ideas, report bugs or ways to improve the game .. and most of us start screaming bloody rape as soon as they aren\'t as free as they want to be. If this was a completed game, pay to play and with all the developing happening behind the screens nobody would be complaining.
In my opinion nobody should be complaining now either, not about things like this.

I am all for the naming policy because ridiculous names many people tend to use nowadays honestly irritate me. If people don\'t seem to have a decent name I usually don\'t even want to bother talking to them so thumbs up for naming policy ... but maybe try to be bit more forthcoming in the execution of it. With that I mean perhaps don\'t just change any name you don\'t like to whatever you do like. Instead tell the player in question their name doesn\'t work and let them come up with an alternative.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Noobis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 12:08:33 pm »
Originally posted by Zan
I am all for the naming policy because ridiculous names many people tend to use nowadays honestly irritate me. If people don\'t seem to have a decent name I usually don\'t even want to bother talking to them so thumbs up for naming policy ... but maybe try to be bit more forthcoming in the execution of it. With that I mean perhaps don\'t just change any name you don\'t like to whatever you do like. Instead tell the player in question their name doesn\'t work and let them come up with an alternative.

There are ridculous names and then there are names that will prove no harm to the game play... BUT it says

GMS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE NAMES AT WILL WITH OR WITHOUT A REASON

What is up with that seriously... I mean... what if a GM starts changing legit names to what ever the GM wants, thats rather ridculous...

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 12:12:22 pm »
I would advise to just let it be. Discussing it will create only some fuss. Either way, there is no way someone with powers to change stuff will listen to these complains... At least that\'s what I figure out by looking at the past events.
AKA Skald

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 12:43:52 pm »
Let\'s see... mIRC is free to use indefinitely. That\'s that sorted out. Now, what next...? Oh, the warning statement? That\'s needed. You see, people just loooooooooove to pick at this thing. If you need an example, read this thread from the beginning. Because of that, those obligatory warnings are needed, even though it would never actually work that way under normal circumstances.

Rules are introduced into a given community when something is out of hand and needs to be controlled. Having to make the small effort of using IRC or emailling Acraig to get complaints dealt with quickly and efficiently is not going to kill you. If it\'s just too much... well sorry, Lords and Ladies, but there\'s no valet services here.