Author Topic: Pets  (Read 709 times)

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Pets
« on: December 06, 2002, 07:27:51 am »
i know i have talked some words about it in some answers, but i haven\'t made a thread to discuss about it.

I think it should be cool to be able to tame pets and/or little monsters. You would have to raise it, feed it, and so on. What should be greater would be that it could gives you some bonusses, depending on the creature and how you raised it.

explorer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 09:47:56 pm »
i think it\'d be fun to be able to buy a pet dragon or something like that, be able to summon it, and ride it around  :D
Terragen manipulator, photoshop wannabe.

Planeshift name: Demoritus, but you can call me \"god\"
Avast.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 02:29:16 am »
Could I get a ferret? Ever since I saw that ferret attack that guys tongue on that cell phone I wanted to sic one on someone. Cool idea\'s. If you caught a creature from a dungeon, they could be taught skills like teleporting, different colleges of magic, or simple things like alteration into statuets that you could carry in your pack.

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 05:11:11 am »
i thought about low bonusses, like \"danger awareness\" or a little more magic points or a better hunt skill......

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 01:41:34 am »
Oh. I see. Well, that would be cool too. Having an animal with hunting abilites like say a hawk, would be neat. Most people would have things like lions, dragons, and horses (oh my). What skill could be applied to beasts of burden? Maybe they could gt skills aimed at carrying more weight, or perhaps running faster?

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 03:52:42 pm »
I think the developers will be including familiars, though its not likely you will find any dragons wandering around for pets.

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 06:11:08 pm »
Familiars would be nice. I just hope they can put a decent AI system in them, because in most of the games I\'ve played, pets aren\'t very intelligent.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 07:53:18 pm »
We\'re hoping to have pets as intelligent as Link.  So interpret that however you want. ;-)

- Venge

[shem]

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 08:16:59 pm »
will the familiars include things we can ride? since theirs a skill called riding winged creature? or will the winged creature porvide pure transportation

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 08:48:36 pm »
So our pets are going to badmouth any newbs in the area? =P

Shem, winged creatures have been addressed in several places. There will be two types of flying creatures, one for moving yourself, the other to move yourself and goods. Whether we\'ll be able to controll them is up for debate(I forget the topic name that this was discussed in already.)

Familiars, as previously refered to, will be little small creatures that will aid you in some way or another. i doubt a familiar will be ridable.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2002, 08:55:41 pm »
I don\'t know if I want a familiar anymore... ;)

No \'fense Link.

I think there should not be any dragon familiars, only lesser reptiles if you must, such as drakes.  Too many people want dragon this, dragon that, and dragons should be extremely rare, unimaginably powerful, and greedy.

Dragons should be the uber-uber-uber-monsters of PS.

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 11:09:52 pm »
Since I think the old pet/familiar topics have fallen off this board, I will try and simplify a few things and hope it will give you guys/gals something to think about.

Familiars have been talked about and in the talking about them it has been thought that to create a familiar it would be done at character creation. When you create your character, you sacrafice a few stats to be placed into what ever type of familiar you choose. this will help ballance the issue of two players created at the same time, one with and the other without a familiar. The one without the familiar will be stronger, faster, and have more hit points than a person that has a familiar. This equals out though cause the person with a familar has a partner to rely on that fills those gaps.

There has also been some thought into the area of at higher levels a character could summon a pet of some kind. The brown way of magic is listed as not only nature element but a conjuring magic. Conjuring is creating something or can be considered summoning something into existance. So in theory if you combine the brown way magic with another of the ways you could conjure a creature set to the specific way you combined it with. For example if you used the cunjure ability of brown with something of the blue way you could possibly summon an elemental of water. If you used the brown way with something of the dark way you could possibly conjure a necromatic type pet say like a goul or skeleton of some kind.

There is one other thing that a player character could consider a pet and that would be mounts. Currently there are two mounts that have been mentioned publicly and those are the Pterasaur and the Megora. Both are winged creatures of varying ability and status. It would be like comparing a thoroughbred(sp) with a clidesdale(sp). The pterasaur is a very expensive animal and mostly used for basic transpirtation. The Megora is a very strong animal and used mainly by farmers like a pack mule to haul heavy loads from level to level. Both animal could be fought from like mounted steads but one is considered a rich man\'s ride while the other is a more afordable one.

Now don\'t take any of this as, this is how it is and will be, but as this is what has been talked about in the other forum threads a while back. These are things you fans have come up with in the different familiar and pet topics. The things about the megoras and pterasaurs is simply my interpitation of what is writen on the main site. With all this now said, maybe this thread can continue with some more pet/familiar ideas and abilities.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 05:35:34 pm »
You should probably be able to find familiars every now and then, because if you cannot find them everyone will start out with them, because you can get skills later, but you couldn\'t get familiars later.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2002, 09:32:59 pm »
Since familiars are, in a sense, creatures magicly bound to their masters. Would they bee differant from pets magicly? Maybe a dumb question, I dunno.

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2002, 09:41:50 am »
Originally posted by Fantasyfiend
Since familiars are, in a sense, creatures magicly bound to their masters. Would they bee differant from pets magicly? Maybe a dumb question, I dunno.

In theory yes. Since a familiar is so tightly bonded to an individual the thought is that the player, upon creation, would sacrafice part of his or her stats to put into the familiar. Together though they are two they are one, if that made any sense. But who really knows how it will eventually end up. So much to think about in skills, stats, powers, magic, and ballance that it is just up in the air.