Author Topic: Dunaduriums models thread  (Read 2404 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 02:01:43 am »
Found in the Guide to Contribution thread stickied in the Fan Art forum:
KEEP THE POLY COUNT LOW. Simple objects should have no more than 200 triangle faces (make sure you are counting triangle faces and not square/quad faces), simple creatures or more complex objects should be around 400-800 polys, and characters should have 1k-2k polys (2k in some extreme cases, aim for 1k).

512 polys for a single helmet is rather much ;)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Gentar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 06:22:10 pm »
Karyuu, he made a low poly model. There are hyperlinks to it further down. Also Im redrawing that picture in pen and ink, trying to follow your example.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 06:24:47 pm »
Oh, I know :) I was just replying to Thenior\'s comment.

Thenior

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 12:06:02 am »
the game project I am currently working on, 4000 polygons for a single character is perfectly acceptable, that is why it seemed odd.

AKA Manadora

Dunadurium

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 01:56:39 am »
Originally posted by Thenior
the game project I am currently working on, 4000 polygons for a single character is perfectly acceptable, that is why it seemed odd.

Thenior, are you working on an MMO? is it a commercial project? (that would explain it) because 4k is quite a lot. It would be awesome to have that many polys to work with for a game- just so much detail! :D What do you do on the project btw(if i may ask), are you an artist?

Anyways, i started working on a new model just a few days ago, it will take a lot longer than usual to complete though because i will be quite busy. i want to fully complete it though, including model, texturing, rigging and even some animations. But first here is an older low poly model and rig i did of a bear.

at first i thought about finishing the rig and texturing
this guy but i decided to just start another model as my skills have progressed since i created this. The rig in its current state is fairly functional it just needs to be perfected.

If someone wants to try and texture him though then go for it (i imagined a sort of diseased \"theme\" similar to the giant rats in PS, just in bear form of course ;P ), just tell me and ill do an unwrap so you can start painting :)

Well this is what i just started, i am calling him a \"hill dweller\" for now lol. so any suggestions for a better name for this type of creature? right now he sorta looks like a cross between an orc or ogre or something, but if i can get the body like what i envision then he should look like neither :P
Currently he\'s got around 180 poly\'s but as before, the count should drop after tweaking and further working with it. Altogether, with his body and head, my aim is under 500p.

Any suggestions welcome as always.

~Dunadurium
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:37:26 pm by Dunadurium »

Thenior

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 11:38:55 am »
well in MMO\'s you have to go lower because of the vast amount of objects, but the Crystal Space engine could handle quite a bit more polygons.

Currently I am a 3D artist for a 6 Degree of Freedom game (like the Descent series) for http://www.highoctanesoftware.com

http://www.cgcrafter.com/2.html is some old renders. I don\'t have any new ones up because my new ones are under NDA

See we will commonly have a 1 million polygon object, create a normal map, and apply it to the lower polygon object (like 4k)

it\'s like http://crytek.de/images/gallery/polybump/poly_04.jpg only a little bit more detailed

but I suppose it is best for Talad to be so picky about the detail of the models, thought using bump maps and normal maps would aid greatly to the detail, plus HDR lighting for atmosphere. That way people with higher end PC\'s could get more from PS, and people with lower end PC\'s could just disable it.

Having said that, your models are great!

If you apply a blurred grungey bump map to the entire object it\'ll make it more alive. If you have photoshop, bevel and emboss are your freinds for getting ridges in the metal texture.

If you want you can send me the object and texture and I will show you what I mean. jk3d AT hotmail.com

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:50:53 am by Thenior »

AKA Manadora

toad

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 02:37:39 pm »
Looks great as usual Dunadurium!

The only suggestion I have is that your bear appears to be front-heavy.  It seems to me like he would fall forward a lot, given the length of its neck.

Other than that, impeccable as always.

I\'m going to start thinking of a skin for that bear.  The description you gave me makes me think of demented apes from the movie Congo (aweful movie in my opinion... but there were some demented creatures that we could borrow from).

Excellent.

~~toad

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 04:14:25 pm »
Good work, I like the textured ones most, but the bear and hill dweller look good too. There is some texture distortion, but nothing too serious. I\'ll surely want to see how the hill dweller proceeds. :)

Gentar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 04:34:02 pm »
I say forget the rules, and if he finishes those two models and someone textures them, they should put them in game. Its been about a year now since weve seen a new monster/character excluding pets.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 04:36:05 pm »
My vote goes with Gentar\'s idea...

toad

• Traveller
    • View Profile
the bear
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 09:21:46 pm »
Hey Dunadurium.

So .. still being on vacation (until tomorrow) I can\'t actually paint a texture for your bear - but it got me thinking.  If you want to do an unwrap on him I may start it tomorrow....

but here\'s the idea.  Sickly bear...

Unfortunately some of my ideas involve further model work.  Like .. longer patches of hair that dangle in midsections, those would need to be alpha mapped onto a flap poly... so we\'d have to add couple more polygons.  Anyway - the idea here is longer hair as you get closer to the feet, perhaps a miscolored section along its back, and definitely patches of fur missing - where burned skin is apparent.

~~toad
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 09:24:32 pm by toad »

Dunadurium

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 02:15:42 pm »
First of all thanks for all the comments I appreciate the input. Yes Toad the bear is a bit front heavy but the neck was even longer then that before lol, it just starts looking wimpier the shorter the neck gets for some reason, I figured this length was acceptable, although I agree that a lot of weight would be on the front legs (but that?s why they are so thick ;P ) and yeah, like i told you in that PM, that concept for the texture looks awesome and ill send you the model when your done with your ship(or before if you want) :)
Thenior, thank you for all the advice, I checked out some normal mapping tuts and I think I will learn it after this hill dweller project is done. And yeah I know that helm texture really sucked, in trying to make It better one night I actually got pretty annoyed by its crappyness and just deleted it lol. I came to the conclusion that it was partly to do with the general design and ill just start another one with finer, more delicate design on top. As for all the shader effects, I believe planeshift doesn?t support any of them, which is a shame I agree. HDR lighting would contribute to making some pretty nice effects indeed!

Anyways ive basically got the general model for this guy down but he is already at the polly limit I set for myself so I may just raise it up to 600 :P . and I will just be focusing on him until he is completely done and I have him the way I wanted. That being said he did kinda start going in a more humanoid direction than I really wanted but I think this way using some armors and a bit more advanced weapons will fit better which should be pretty nice- ill make some item sets for him with different kind of weapons and objects that could be used around where they live.

so I want to add 2 shoulder plates and some chain connecting them and then start the texture.

btw these are thumbs so click on them for bigger views:

here is a very quick little scene that I did just to get a feel for the type of texture to use and what type on feet or footwear to model (as you can see the feet aren?t done) but it shows what I am thinking for a texture: pants for the legs with those knee plates and chest is mostly bare, although I will add those shoulder plates like I mentioned.
(and yeah that blue figure is just to get an idea of size compared to the average human)

Comments, ideas ? post em ;)

BTW I will be on holiday for about a week so don?t expect any updates for about that time. :(

~Dunadurium
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 04:42:03 pm by Dunadurium »

Shinyuuki

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 12:18:52 am »
Wow, this stuff is incredible!

Excuse my ignorance, but how hard (or easy) is it to put this kind of stuff into planefshift (once that basics like this have been modeled).

Could it happen soon, or does animation work and stuff have to be done.  And can planeshift handle the polygon counts for these things?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 12:34:57 am »
Any model, for use in PlaneShift, needs to be rigged (with a skeleton), animated, and textured :) The triangle face count needs to be between 1000-2000, for characters/monsters. Though anyone who wishes to contribute should really apply to the team - models posted on the forums are not going to be used.

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 09:25:16 am »
Wow, I\'m really diggin\' the stuff. Please post more content, I\'m speechless. In my opinion, working under a polycount really brings out the best of the best and creates an enviorment where creativity flourishes. You\'re models are brilliant in their simplicity, I\'m looking foward to more :3