Author Topic: application for dev team audio music/effects  (Read 915 times)

phischphood

• Traveller
    • View Profile
application for dev team audio music/effects
« on: February 25, 2006, 05:08:05 pm »
I applied to info@planeshift.it for either of the audio team positions over 48 hours ago, just wondering how long it should take to get a reply, especially as It\'s sunday tommorrow so if the answer is yes then I could start doing some work on it, but during the week I will be too busy.

I forgot to include my e-mail address in my first e-mail, but I sent another stating the obvious (the e-mail is the one I used to send the application from) but it says if not all information is provided the application will be rejected (If it\'s rejected will they reply telling me so?) . I hope not, because it took ages to attach all the files and to fill out all the info.

Finally, it says \"samples must be in ogg format\" does that mean the stuff you send as an example in the application needs to be in ogg format, or the stuff you will actually create assuming you get the job needs to be in ogg format? Sorry for so many questions, but I\'m just very curious. Thanks for reading.

P.S. Sorry if this isn\'t the right place to post this, there didn\'t seem to be any board which fitted the topic properly.
 Thanks again
 Steve

Gluonite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:17:18 pm »
Dude, don\'t hold your breath. It doesn\'t seem to make any difference how well you filled out your application or if you sent exactly the right stuff or not. You still won\'t get any response. I applied back in November and never got so much as a thanks-but-no-thanks acknowledgment. I find this quite bizarre actually. And rude. All over the place on the PS web-site, forums and even in-game they seem like they are recruiting for the dev team. If they are in fact doing so, then this is the strangest way I\'ve ever seen an organization go about it. No wonder there are no less than five lead positions vacant on the dev team. Potential developers are asked to spend their valuable time preparing a thorough and nit-picky application and then are completely ignored. Good luck is all I can say to you.
"Monkeys. You can never go wrong if you use monkeys."

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:01:54 pm »
Talad simply gets too many emails.  If you want to apply, you will be considered if you actually talk to him.  Go on IRC and ask there.  (#planeshift on FreeNode)  Sorry, but email is just not the way to go about this sort of thing.

When it comes to the code side of things, just fix something and give one of us the code.  That\'s even easier.  Again, though, IRC is our primary method of communication, here.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

Gluonite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 02:15:34 pm »
Well, if this is the case, it should be stated on the webpage where it explains all about how to apply to be a dev. How does plainshift expect to get any volunteer devs if the correct procedure for becoming one is not stated anywhere?
"Monkeys. You can never go wrong if you use monkeys."

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 03:09:18 pm »
You are totally right, Consensus, it should be stated on the home page.

Anyway, as far as I know there was not big availability of positions in the sound and music department.
The person you should contact, PM here in the forum or on IRC is GeorgeD.
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

phischphood

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 03:24:43 pm »
Ok, thanks I\'ll try using IRC, that is freenode in the US right(chat.us.freenode.net)? I\'m also assuming he uses talad as his name on IRC, correct me if this is wrong please.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:26:38 pm by phischphood »

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 03:28:17 pm »
GeorgeD is both GeorgeD here and on IRC, if I remember right. (I am sure about IRC).
Talad is Talad both here and on IRC, since GeorgeD is the leader of the music department I recommend you to talk with him.
AryHann

phischphood

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 03:35:04 pm »
Ok thanks, I\'m on IRC atm but neither are online, probably because of the time zone difference I\'m guessing(I\'m in GMT). I also sent GeorgeD a PM, hopefully that should get me somewhere, even if it\'s just a \"no\", a \"no\" is better than no reply at all

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 03:43:27 pm »
Good luck with it!
AryHann

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 11:15:33 am »
We\'ve just updated our method of accepting applications so that it\'s more organized, both for us and applicants. Check out the recruitment page again and follow the link to apply.

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 11:42:37 am »
We\'ve been needing something like this for a long while.  I\'m quite happy that we\'re updating this process.  :)

We should probably update our SourceForge page too.  If you didn\'t notice the 95.02 percentile listed for last week\'s activity, you\'d assume we\'ve been a dead project for 2 and a half years.  :P

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

phischphood

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 03:35:41 pm »
Oh thanks, It looks like a much better application method, I\'ll apply using that instead.
Don\'t know why it hadn\'t been done earlier :) only downside is you have to link to files, can\'t attach
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:56:12 pm by phischphood »

phischphood

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 02:45:50 pm »
I just applied using the new system, I\'m guessing I still need to wait for some confirmation/ something to do, read through all the licensing stuff, pretty hefty but makes sense really.