Author Topic: A Guide to Running Planeshift on Mac OS X Replies  (Read 3845 times)

tmb_MINION

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Working?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 08:54:44 pm »
Just wondering ?( . Really want to play. I think it\'s great there are people who do this for no money. Life must be good.
\"Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.\"
-----------------------

Minion kicks ass.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 09:37:16 pm »
This thread and the Mac Client Status thread will be updated when it\'s working. Just be patient. When it is available for download, we won\'t keep it a secret. :P
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Questionaire

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 02:57:11 pm »
where is the \"above link\" chaos?
MEOW!!!

yar!

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 06:10:38 pm »
Come on! Please. Read the first post of the thread. It has everything you need.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator

Druean

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 05:29:58 am »
YAY IT FINALLY WORKS CHEERS!

p.s. whens the new characters going to be added

alank

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
first timer- can't open client
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 11:38:40 am »
Hi-
   It sounds like some people are having success getting into planeshift now, unfortunately I\'m not one of them.  I downloaded, updated (using the unofficial updater), and fixed permission bits on 1 June.  I still get nothing when I double click on psclient.app.  No overt error message, but the console reads:

===== Friday, June 3, 2005 9:33:30 AM US/Pacific =====
SCF_WARNING: class planeshift.sound.soundmanager (from /Applications/Planeshift 3D/pssound.csplugin) has already been registered in the same context `app\' (in /Applications/Planeshift 3D/psclient.app/Contents/Resources/pssound.csplugin)
Crystal Space for MacOS/X 0.99 r0 [MacOS/X-powerpc-GCC]
Ported to MacOS/X by Eric Sunshine

ERROR: csInitializer::SetupConfigManager failed!
Is your CRYSTAL environment variable set?

I have a brand new Powerbook running osX 10.4.1- let me know if you need more specs to help troubleshoot

I saw it mentioned somewhere  that you could open the client using the terminal- how do you do this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Alan

shenji

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2005, 12:40:53 pm »
Hey, I know how to fix that....sorry, but you\'ll have to do step 5 every single time you want to play it...I just did the same thing......try using the jar program in step five again...it\'ll open the terminal and will open the game AUTOMATICALLY...you cant click on the application itself, cuz the application still doesnt work....you have to use the java thing to open it each time until the problem is officially fixed.....if you need step five for the terminal, I\'ll say it here

Just open the terminal and type \"cd \" (make sure there is a space after the cd)....then drag your planeshift folder into your terminal...press enter after that.....then type this in, or copy and paste it from here...
\"./psclient.app/Contents/MacOS/psclient\"
I\'m sorry but you\'ll have to do this each time you want to run the game...still better than not being able to play at all

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 03:08:59 pm »
Ok, the reason it\'s not launching from the GUI is most likely because the vfs.cfg file in the updater is Mac-Unfriendly.  If you have an untouched copy of the Planeshift v3.009, you should be able to copy vfs.cfg from that and overwrite the version that you\'re using, else search a couple of threads in here for vfs.cfg and there might be a  link to a working copy.

EDIT: Until you get that working, starting it from terminal is like this (These instructions assume you have planeshift in /Applications/Planeshift3D

Open terminal
Type cd /Applications/Planeshift3D
Hit Return
Type ./psclient.app/Contents/MacOS/psclient
Hit Return again.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 03:10:59 pm by dfryer »
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Wayne

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PSClient active... but does not load...
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 07:30:04 pm »
Hey all,

I\'ve been following this thread really closely... the game is that exciting to me... but I regret to say that I am still having trouble... even at this stage... after all your hard work... for which I am grateful.

Alright, so I have gotten the program to update using the terminal to access the planeshift updater, and I\'ve even tried it with chaos\' updater... both worked fine... inasmuch as they both produced the result of making the psclient do nothing at all... ok. no biggie. Replacing vfs.cfg with the original copy as was suggested today helped out a lot. PSClient now opens, and you get the pretty splash screen with the four heads and the Pseudo Isengard towers. Very nice!

But now there is another problem. The loading bar at the bottom of the splash screen does nothing... if we are to believe what is happening there, the program is not loading the files that activate the game.

Loading it from the terminal gives a little bit more information. Here are the lines that I think really speak up about the situation:

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
        WARNING: could not load plugin \'cel.pcfactory.defaultcamera\'
      HEY HEY
      crystalspace.application.celtest:
        CEL \'cel.pcfactory.defaultcamera\' plugin missing!

Anyone know what\'s going on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I\'m anxious to get a look at this masterpiece of opensource engineering...

Thanks much! --------Wayne Heart

ScrollMaker

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 07:38:32 pm »
Download Cha0s\' updater again to make sure you have the latest version. Move it to the Planeshift folder, run Cha0s\' updater with both options checked off. It should download the default camera plugin. After that you will be able to run the psclient.app from the Terminal. If you have done all this correctly the game should not be able to open from the double-clickable game icon. The only way right now is from the command line.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2005, 08:54:34 pm »
Check out the first post. The directions have been an updated with a link to the old vfs file. Planeshift should be double-clickable again after copying that file. :)
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator

dying_inside

(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2005, 07:23:44 am »
i got as far as 3b and now the updater wont even luanch . nor will anything else.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 10:25:19 am »
Did you launch the downloaded Updater.jar file and use it to update?
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator

santagonewrong

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2005, 10:58:38 am »
I did all the above and the Terminal just says
./psclient.app/Contents/MacOS/psclient: Permission denied.
what do i do? plz?

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2005, 12:04:33 pm »
You clearly didn\'t do everything I said to do. See step 4.

P.S. You need to be an administrator...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:05:03 pm by Cha0s »
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator