Author Topic: Baldur's Art Thread  (Read 35060 times)

Arangol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Baldur's Art Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 04:39:41 am »
I like the carrot stuck in the wizard hat  ;D
All your pictures are great. Keep it up.
"The answer to all life's problems aren't on the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"-Homer Simpsons

Choose how the Klyros town will look like:
Klyros City Project
Klyros Names

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 05:58:49 am »
@Dying_inside: It should work as a tower shielld, strapping it onto you your shoulder and biceps. It's pretty heavy so Krans or some big arse Dermorian can only use it.
@Arangol: What can I say, thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:49:44 pm by Baldur »

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 03:30:39 pm »
Hi,

Really good work, I like them. I especially like how you've patiently added details to simple items, such as the harp. They all would work well as skethes for a modeler. A few tips if I may;

- Few of the linked pictures are quite big, it's hard to see the whole picture at once. I'd recommend scaling the pictures to 50% before uploading. Eg. Kran shoulderpad and the dragon harp look very nice when scaled smaller a bit.

- Like in the harp case, you can use lines not only to draw edges, but also to define material texture. For example, this pouch has a specific material.

- When colouring over sketch, layers are the key. For example a layer with multiply mix mode works well for colours. When coloured in separate layer, it's easy to erase errors, change colour hue/saturation/lightness... without messing up the original picture.

- Personally I also use additional layer for shadows and highlights, but that's up to personal taste. Note that shadow smoothness/sharpness tells a lot about the object form and texture. There's no easy way to do it, I'd recommend checking real life photos for reference. I admit I've been staring a spoon for a long time, and I still can't get the metal texture right. :)

That's all I can think of right now. All in all, very nice work, I'll be waiting to see more.

PS. Here's one coloured vision of your Kran shoulder pad. I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

Scaled the original to 50%, used multiply layer for colour, overlay layer for highlights, and normal layer for shadows.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 04:24:04 pm by Cherppow »

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 05:32:46 pm »
Phooey, that's too good to be true :O \\o//
Yay, colored sketch ^_^ That's going to my favorites

I guess it was time for someone to  hijack this thread :P
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it :)

Add
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/Belark/Phearthehandofgorilla.jpg
Phear the hand of gorilla!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 10:14:17 am by Baldur »

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 07:54:04 pm »

Kran? Ylian? Krylian?@.@
Somehow he's a mighty man from the contryside, no one knows how he got this way. His constitution tells us he's an Ylian, but his immense strenght and peculiar face tells otherwise. Already from birth his peculiar look scared the other children and they used to tease him for his right arm which had stiffened somehow.

He is a great mystery, for his creator, as for his watchers.

dying_inside

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 03:37:25 am »
Its a nice attempt but needs work.
I'm gonna give you the same advice that I was gven, work on your anatomy.  Honestly, just google human anatomy drawing or somthing along those  lines, and see what it comes up with.
I kinda using a cross over of the box method and the first  thing I stumbled over, which used lines and circles, and it works a treat. Research and practice mate. You have skill, but need some "guidance' methinks.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 06:08:23 am »
Something i'm working on
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/Belark/Untitled-1.jpg
It's blurry but it's there.

dying_inside

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 12:11:09 pm »
Oh my god! Cthulhu became a hermit crab! :'( :o

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 12:33:03 pm »
Dang , you must have extrasensory senses O.O
I was inspirated by a hermit crab and some other creature I won't tell you, let's just say I like slimey stuff

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 02:46:52 pm »

Mirashi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 02:50:16 pm »
Kran? Ylian? Krylian?@.@
Somehow he's a mighty man from the contryside, no one knows how he got this way. His constitution tells us he's an Ylian, but his immense strenght and peculiar face tells otherwise. Already from birth his peculiar look scared the other children and they used to tease him for his right arm which had stiffened somehow.

Well there is a such thing as mixed races, though I see it impossible for a Kran and Ylian to reproduce. I think somewhere on the main page, it said that their race is determined by what traits they have. If they were to have more Ylian than Klyros, they'd be Ylians. I'd say that to be a Kran.

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 03:23:25 pm »
Kran? Ylian? Krylian?@.@

Well there is a such thing as mixed races, though I see it impossible for a Kran and Ylian to reproduce. I think somewhere on the main page, it said that their race is determined by what traits they have. If they were to have more Ylian than Klyros, they'd be Ylians. I'd say that to be a Kran.
That was aimed more as a joke because it didn't turn out quite well. Of course, Krans and Ylians can't reproduce ^_^
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:29:27 pm by Baldur »

dying_inside

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 04:49:24 am »
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/Belark/Untitled-1-1.jpg
Here we go. I might think of coloring it

hey man, thats pretty damn good!
I still say its Cthulhu inside.  :thumbup:

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 09:24:03 pm »
Took home an anatomy book from the library today

I do't even know if i'm improving -.-
*Looks at picture* Geeze!*turns away*

dying_inside

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 04:18:23 am »
No thats definatly an improvement. Shows well.
Get a book on how to DRAW anatomy though. Its alot better than just drawing strait off.
Like I told you, do it  in stages:

Stick / block
basic lines
flesh / curves / nakedness
clothing
Finishing.

I'm off on Holiday for now, but when I get back I expect to see you outdoing Karyuu or Inca  ;)