Author Topic: you keep changing my toons names? whats up with that?  (Read 2313 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: you keep changing my toons names? whats up with that?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 01:50:48 pm »
Yliakum has its own versions of animals and beasts - but they are still different versions with sometimes different names. A Carkarass is not a dragon, and it shouldn't be called one. Dragons don't exist here - and the only reason people have names with "dragon" or "griffin" in it in the real world is because those things have meaning in the real world. We are trying to keep the setting fairly clean from real world references - so if something doesn't exist in Yliakum but you drag it in, you're making a hole in your world and your roleplay. It can be a very tiny thing - not calling a Groffel a Griffin - but it keeps the world concentrated.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 01:55:15 pm »
How about that thing over the message box on all the loading screens? That could be considered a dragon, I guess.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 01:57:01 pm »
Or just a serpent :} Stylized snake.

There are no dragons in Yliakum.

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 02:00:33 pm »
Whatever. It's still pretty weird that we have an enemy named "Rat" that looks like a rat, in that case. Maybe it should be renamed to something like "Rotley" so that there's no implication that they're based on a real thing. All I want is consistency... if nothing can be named after real things, NOTHING can be.

Also, in that case, the reference to Ulbernauts being similar to grizzly bears (in the library book about them) should be removed, along with (possibly) any comparisons of the Enkidukai to cats anywhere. Dwarves should not be called dwarves, and elves should not be called elves. (Technically they aren't, but right now very few people refer to members of a certain race as Nolthrir, or Dermorians, or Stonebreakers or Hammerwielders. They just say elves and dwarves. This might be improved once every race has its own model and can be identified without having to look at the description every time.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:21:35 pm by Siteri Kidachi »

Dragonfordge

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 02:06:30 pm »
Thanks for all the answers help me out, havent had time to read all the pages for new player info. Wil work it in somewhere soon.Just switching to linux, not very many games that i've found look as good or plays as well as this one. I will come up with a name that fits within format that i like. Thanks again to all. Dragon Fordge.:thumbup:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 02:15:30 pm »
Good luck and happy playing, Dragonfordge! :}

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 12:04:23 am »
so i take it that i shouldnt say i wnat to have baby kittens then.....

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

Anne Ominous

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 12:55:59 am »
as far as "elves" & "dwarves" they absolutely exist in ps, just look up races on ps main page.

As far as cats & bears, while they don't exist yet, in game they may be historical or mythical or such, otherwise, yes woth removing from in-game books... i suppose...

The Rats of yliakkum  while at first i'd think it could be a good point [or funny guildname]...
rat  (rt)
n.
a. Any of various long-tailed rodents resembling mice but larger, especially one of the genus Rattus.

... Similar to how anyone with certain physical traits is a dwarf...

Just because something exists in reality, doesn't mean it can't exist in planeshift. Many things should. The basic principle is that as many things as possible would be nicer if kept original... to that end why not start with player names, and try to as well with noncombattant npc names, and so on. Might bug me a bit too to be censored in names etc, but to complain seems like wanting to change the name you were born with-- in which you had 0 choice... I would presume...