Author Topic: The NPC Guards  (Read 779 times)

Gondric

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
The NPC Guards
« on: November 13, 2006, 01:26:16 am »
Ello.

i have been wandering around hydlaa and have noticed about 4 guards i think...
this simply is not realistic the biggest city in the game has 4 guards.
we need more.
and there are none in oja since i last been there.
Bd has quite a few tho

also theyre wearing no armor(most of em).

My idea is add quite a few more guards and have a general armor for that city aka chain for hydlaa.
in the future change the skin for the specific cities or make them wear a tabard or sumthin to show theyre in the hydlaa guard ect...

also you cant tell if theyre guards or not atm except that theyre at the gates and they have weapons.
my idea is to either rename them all (insert cities name) guard or have a npc guild called hydlaa guards, oja guards ect..

i dont know if the npc moving thing works perfectly yet but having them patroll back and fowards thru the city would be nice too.

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
Re: The NPC Guards
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 02:11:42 am »
My idea is add quite a few more guards and have a general armor for that city aka chain for hydlaa.

Like in Morrowind? Good idea! Hydlaas would look like the Imperial guard armor. I don't know if Oblivion is like that too, since I don't visit much of the cities except the Imperial City and Bruma.
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

neko kyouran

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:19:23 am »
# Saying we need "more" or we need "better" isn't enough, and threads asking for this will be deleted.
-- Anyone who is getting impatient is welcome to learn to program or do artwork and join the team ;)

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:44:58 am »
That was only a single aspect of the post.

also theyre wearing no armor(most of em).

in the future change the skin for the specific cities or make them wear a tabard or sumthin to show theyre in the hydlaa guard ect...

also you cant tell if theyre guards or not atm except that theyre at the gates and they have weapons.
my idea is to either rename them all (insert cities name) guard or have a npc guild called hydlaa guards, oja guards ect..

i dont know if the npc moving thing works perfectly yet but having them patroll back and fowards thru the city would be nice too.

I believe that makes it a totally valid post for this section

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:45:46 am »
There are at least twice that many guards in Hydlaa...
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 03:48:00 am »
NPCs should all have real names along with occupations. I wouldn't mind seeing a "guild name" under their names as well, but to cover up their real names would make them seem less like a real person, you know? ;)

I'd absolutely love to have special armor just for guards, and I think we will indeed have this, once we have more guards, more things to guard, and more places for guards to guard those things in.

And a lot of work is being done right now on NPC paths (movement system), so you may very well see patrols in the near future. If all goes well :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 03:49:41 am »
NPCs should all have real names along with occupations. I wouldn't mind seeing a "guild name" under their names as well, but to cover up their real names would make them seem less like a real person, you know? ;)

I'm not so sure.  I think that they could all be named "City Guard", and then you'd fine out their name by talking to them.
Immaturity is FTW.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 03:51:18 am »
Do those two guarding the most important building in the city count? (Tavern guards)

Then Percival? Cant think of anymore.

I'm not so sure.  I think that they could all be named "City Guard", and then you'd fine out their name by talking to them.

Maybe all Npcs should be called 'Hydlaa Resident' untill you have spoken to them aswell

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 03:53:14 am »
You're right.  It would get ugly pretty fast.  I think the nametags are ugly in general though... but I guess there isn't really a way to avoid it.  But all mercenaries are called mercenaries, as are all rogues and gladiators.... surely they have names as well...
Immaturity is FTW.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 12:57:34 pm »
In Morrowind there were loads types of armor and thats why the quards were distinguished. AFAIR there were 6 unique armor sets for each guards force, 1 for the imperials 4 for the 4 Houses and 1 for Vivec capital city. You and any NPC were free to wear any of these and look like a guard, but the amount of different armors make it so that it wasn't common. Maybe with one exception: if you were wearing Vivec guard armor and you got caught by a real Vivec guard, the punishment was death for disrespect ;P

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 01:16:01 pm »
Maybe with one exception: if you were wearing Vivec guard armor and you got caught by a real Vivec guard, the punishment was death for disrespect ;P

I remember that all too well...  >:(
Darn Temple hypocrite (Insert suitable naughty word here)!
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 03:13:15 pm »
In Morrowind there were loads types of armor and thats why the quards were distinguished. AFAIR there were 6 unique armor sets for each guards force, 1 for the imperials 4 for the 4 Houses and 1 for Vivec capital city. You and any NPC were free to wear any of these and look like a guard, but the amount of different armors make it so that it wasn't common. Maybe with one exception: if you were wearing Vivec guard armor and you got caught by a real Vivec guard, the punishment was death for disrespect ;P

How could they be so rare?  Just kill a bunch of guards and you'll have a complete suit.
Immaturity is FTW.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 03:47:24 pm »
How could they be so rare?  Just kill a bunch of guards and you'll have a complete suit.
Sorry, i can't see what is described as rare in my post. :s
The post wasn't about killing bunch of guards, but reason why guards wear their uniforms, while others wear something else in most cases.
Finally, just that you can, doesn't mean you do.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Gondric

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 04:03:10 am »
The thing is that the guards have nothing to do. with ps being a hippy land except for monsters there is nothing for them to attack.

in another game i played. eternal lands. they had a GM created invasion every so often where a whole bunch of monsters came running into town. If this happened where they would attack anyone they see the guars would have a purpose and you can help the guards. id expect the attackers to be humanoid of some description (rouges bandit etc..)  depending on where you are would make the diference on what sort of monsters came. AKA the race specific cities like oja for enkis would have easy monsters attackin becos its full o newbies. what i would hope and expect to happen is there would be cities that werent a startin city for neone would have higher "lvl" guards to defend form harder monsters.

woah that went a bit away form topic but MEH!

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 04:11:05 am »
The thing is that the guards have nothing to do. with ps being a hippy land except for monsters there is nothing for them to attack.

in another game i played. eternal lands. they had a GM created invasion every so often where a whole bunch of monsters came running into town. If this happened where they would attack anyone they see the guars would have a purpose and you can help the guards. id expect the attackers to be humanoid of some description (rouges bandit etc..)  depending on where you are would make the diference on what sort of monsters came. AKA the race specific cities like oja for enkis would have easy monsters attackin becos its full o newbies. what i would hope and expect to happen is there would be cities that werent a startin city for neone would have higher "lvl" guards to defend form harder monsters.

woah that went a bit away form topic but MEH!

*cough* ulbernaught invasion *cough* drey's reign of terror *cough*
Immaturity is FTW.