Author Topic: Simple Modeling School  (Read 21048 times)

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
Re: Simple Modeling School
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 12:30:18 pm »
* Induane imagines everyone running around with giant bananas!  OMG !! BANANAS!!

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 09:27:28 am »
My render seems to blacken when I photograph, could there be anything I've forgotten.

bilbous

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 01:42:04 pm »
a light source?

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 02:02:45 pm »
Yes make sure the light source is on the same side of the object as the camera.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 03:23:37 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your interest and contributions.

To Baldur: There can be many reasons why renders turn out all black.

- The most typical reason is, like bilbous and Feline Prince mentioned, that a lightsource is missing or placed in a bad location. The lamp can be inside the model, or too far to be effective, ect. It's hard to say without seeing your scene. One easy cure is to use the hemisphere type lamp, as it doesn't cast shadows it voids many of the possible problems. Lamp type can be changed in Shading panel - lamp buttons, while a lamp is selected.

- Another quite usual mistake is to have camera pointing in wrong way. You can snap your viewport to camera with numpad0. Also in render window you can press a-key to view alpha channel. This will show the objects as white regardless of light, so you can see whether the objects are too dark or completely missing from the render area.

- Finally check that your object is not black. Either apply image texture or set the material colour to something bright. :)

Ps. Note that depending on your system, complexity of the scene and render options, the render can take a while.

If these don't help, you can mail me the .blend and I'll check it out.
- Cherppow

Mithodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Lucas' Homepage is right here
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 04:12:20 am »
Great work Cherppow! Really good tutorial indeed. But i have some questions:
1. On which versions of Blender and Blender2Crystal does your description base? I can't find some of the functions you use...
2. I made a little bottle with a cork, exported it to Blender2Crystal (couldn't find that genmesh stuff...). My world.zip folder contains one file "libary", one folder "factories" with two files "thingCylinder" and "thingSphere" in it and a folder "textures" with the textures i used. How can i let these replace the shortsword (or anything else)?

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 09:33:52 am »
Greetings Mithodin,

1) The original tutorial was done for Blender 2.42a and Blender2Crystal version 0.6rc1. The newer versions are able to perform the same things, but the buttons may be labeled/located differently. This is the downside for working with developing software; documentation gets old pretty fast. Nowadays I'm using Blender 2.44 and Blender2Crystal 0.6.

2) Hmm, sounds about right. It would likely work in CS as is, but to make it work in PS, you need to:

a. join the two objects (likely the bottle and the cork) [CTRL+J] in object mode
b. join all the textures into one image and modify UV maps accordingly
c. change the object type to genmesh from the overlay GUI (see http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/Overlay_Interface)
d. re-export
e. extract all files (from all subdirs) of the new world.zip to a temporary directory
f. delete "library"-file
g. rename gen*-file to shortsword01a.spr
h. open the new shortsword01a.spr in a text editor
i. change meshfact name to "weapons#shortsword01a"
j. change plugin to "crystalspace.mesh.loader.factory.genmesh"
k. remove the line "<zuse/>" (optional)
l. change material to /planeshift/weapons/your_texture.png
m. save & exit the text editor
n. move shortsword01a.spr and your_texture.png to planeshift/art/things/weapons.zip
o. run PS normally and find yourself a shortsword

p. take screenshots and post them to PS forums \o/

Yes, I'd love one-click Blender->PS export too. :) I used to modify the export script to output more PS-suitable libraries, but it got too timetaking to maintain through version changes.

Thanks for your interest,
 - Cherppow
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:50:58 am by Cherppow »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 10:55:04 am »
* Induane imagines everyone running around with giant bananas!  OMG !! BANANAS!!

:lol: Seperot - your chance! Make lemons! :D
__

@ Cherppow:

Because it was mentioned recently in a "wanted contributions" thread: Could you explain how to save texture space by creating overlapping UV maps to reuse texture areas for several polygons with similar appearance?

For an example, I just imagine a shuffled Rubik's Cube... or whatever you may find more useful to learn from.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:59:56 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 04:13:31 pm »
Hi,

Ok, here goes. As simple as it gets. I'll use this stone block with characters so that faces are easier to identify.

First make a cube and unwrap it. I made a couple of seams and used the standard unwrap function. It gives a basic UV map like in the image.

We can just use this uv map and make a texture for it. As can be seen though, this type of map is quite ineffective. There's a lot of empty space in the texture, enough to fit in another similar cube and more. So let's work on it a bit.

To make better use of texture space, we can scale up the UV map. I've scaled it so that one face fills the whole texture; all the space is now used. The image tiles to fill in the faces that go outside the image area. In our case all the cube's faces are square, so they align pretty nicely here. However, the old texture doesn't really fit with our model, so let's make a new one.

This texture shows only one face, but that's all we need, as it tiles to all the faces. Also notice the increase in detail, as we can now use the whole image to draw one face. The drawback is that all the faces look the same. If the texture and model are well done, that usually doesn't matter.

But what if the model is not a cube, and the UVs don't get aligned that nicely? Then we move them. Select a single UV face and use grab to move it around. One good way to do this is by turning "active face select" on, and disabling "Stick local UVs to Mesh Vertex". Both options found in the UV/Image editor header menus. You can then freely select any face and grab it around. I also had "draw shadow mesh" enabled.

Just grab any faces you want, and move them to the place on the texture that you want. You can use either the model or the shadow image of the other faces as your guide. You can also rotate, mirror, scale, weld, ect. the UVs.

In this case we wanted to overlap the faces, so I've simply moved them all, one by one, over each other. I also mirrored and rotated some, so that they'd look as similar as possible. This was actually wasted work, since Blender has "Reset" Unwrap option, which automatically unwraps each face to show the full texture, but at least we got some experience in moving the faces. Notice that it doesn't matter what size or form the faces are, you can move them just the same way. Moving multiple faces at once is no problem either, just select them all with shift, linked select or similar and grab 'em gone.

Here are the two cubes again, both with 128x128 texture. You can see which uses it's texture space more efficiently. And that's about all there is to it. :)

Greets,
 - Cherppow
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:23:34 pm by Cherppow »

Shimala

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 01:49:25 pm »
These tutorials are great for beginners, i hate to say it but it didnt help me that much because, well i already know how to do it. But i would really like to donate a 3D mesh someday soon so thnx for the encouragement. Sadly i can not join the PS team since i am a lot younger than 21. Good Job  :thumbup:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 02:47:32 pm »
You need to be 18 to join the development team right now, not 21. The 21 age limit is for the GM team. Before donating any mesh to the game, contact me to see if your mesh is 1) going to fit within the game world, 2) going to be needed, and 3) fits all our 3D model requirements.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Marawel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 06:05:27 pm »
nicccce!
wanted to try this stuff for a while.. thanks for info!!

Me starts the work.

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 06:57:38 pm »
Hi,

I've been thinking of creating a new tutorial part here, and was wondering if there is some specific area of 3d work you'd like to hear/learn about. :) I had few ideas already, but I'd love to hear your opinions too.

Thanks,
- Cherppow

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 09:21:39 pm »
How about modeling a decent head? That's not too easy though. Or maybe doing some simple animations, with simple models and that way explaining how the Armatures work.

A w a k e n!

Pizzasgood

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 10:51:15 am »
Yeah, it took me forever to figure out how to get rigging and animations working.  Setting up the armatures was easy enough, and animating them wasn't too hard.  But realizing I needed to add an armature modifier to the mesh, then set up vector groups named the same as the bones.... that took a while.

Where to go after would be nice too, like how (if) you can string together multiple animations.  Maybe an overview of the IPO view (I think that's what it's called, the one with the graphs of the animation).  Maybe some info about how to export an animation so that you can load it into a C++ program.  Those are all things on my to-learn list, next time I have enough free time to play with Blender again.
Did you get the number on that one-eyed rat?