Author Topic: threads that drift off topic {strict}  (Read 1663 times)

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
Re: threads that drift off topic {strict}
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 01:57:04 pm »
emeraldfool: I see what you mean - and luckily we can split threads into two ;)

But even still, it's bad enough having 6or7/20 of the threads on a board being stickies, without splitting each thread into two every time there's a noticeable topic change. If it was like that, active threads would run off the page, ending them prematurely.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 04:42:11 pm »
We only have three stickies in the Hydlaa Plaza section. That's a really good number compared to, say, the Tech Helps. Don't exaggerate ;)

I don't see this as a crisis (using the term very lightly) - I understand that discussions evolve and I try not to step on people's toes when I walk through with a broom. But if you want an "anything goes" forum, you may want to poke Laragorn's. I still like structure here, and we're a lot more loose than we've been several years ago.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 06:05:34 pm »
I meant the forums in general, and I'd say there's an average of 5 stickies each forum :P - there's some 6s, some 4s, a lot of 5s, a few 3s... my point remains valid...

And it's not a crisis (primarily 'cause it hasn't happened yet, really), but it seems counter-productive. Wouldn't it be easier to everyone if you didn't have to go around prising apart threads and sticking them in the right place, and we didn't have to search around trying to continue the conversation we were engrossed in? I mean, so what if somebody has to read the thread a little more carefully to figure out what we're talking about, I'm sure most people wouldn't really care...

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 06:14:49 pm »
well, if you had taken up my offer before Laragorn stole it you would have a nice PS themed forum to go off topic on lol.

As for off topic deletions, I dont think that Karyuu is too bad, she deletes when it gets stupid and acts as close to a perfect role-model mod imo as is possible.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

bilbous

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 12:36:06 am »
Now that I have washed my hands of this thread and can no longer be held responsible for the direction it has wandered I would like to mention the unread replies link at the top of the main forum page although it seems a little peculiar. As for K's actions I feel she locked one or two of my nascent threads just because they didn't seem to mean anything to her. I am not particularly upset as they didn't mean too much to me but is a Kran big enough that an apple might be like a pea in relative size and do Kran have enough windpower to use a blowgun are just a couple of  things I'd idly like to discuss. And just how did the kitten thread survive so long they are not that interesting. This last question is just something I'd like to know and doesn't really relate to the rest.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:48:43 am by bilbous »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 12:46:03 am »
Now that I have washed my hands of this thread and can no longer be held responsible for the direction it has wandered I would like to mention the unread replies [ link at the top of the main forum page although it seems a little peculiar. As for K's actions I feel she locked one or two of my nascent threads just because they didn't seem to mean anything to her. I am not particularly upset as they didn't mean too much to me but is a Kran big enough that an apple might be like a pea in relative size and do Kran have enough windpower to use a blowgun are just a couple of  things I'd idly like to discuss. And just how did the kitten thread survive so long they are not that interesting. This last question is just something I'd like to know and doesn't really relate to the rest.

I'm not sure if you ever watched the series "Babylon5".  In Babylon 5, there was one historic battle between the entire human fleet and a race of invaders.  The battle was called "The battle of the front".

On their forums, the writer of the show occassionally answers questions.  There's one that has always stuck out.  Allow me to paraphrase:

Fan>  "Hi Michael, me and my friends have been arguing for a long time about this and we were hoping you could put an end to the mystery.  The question is pretty straight forward.... how many ships participated in the battle of the front?  One of my friends is saying that it was merely a few hundred small to medium sized ships, while another friend says that it must have been over 10,000 given how important the battle was.  I'm thinking that it was probably close to 2,200 ships including small fighters, judging by what little we see of the battle in the actual series.  How many ships were there exactly though?"

J. Michael Straczynski>  "I've narrowed it down to a ****load."

Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 12:49:59 am »
Thank you for pointing out my typo in the url tag Zanzibar, I've fixed it now.

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 06:41:14 am »
If someone takes your thread off-topic... TELL THEM... and ask them politely to stick to topic.

I've been a part of quite a few online communities... and with many... these problems are resolved by the users themselves... leaving moderators to deal with rule-breakers, spammers and the most offensive of trolls.

If you make it clear in your first post.. "PLEASE STAY ON-TOPIC IN THIS THREAD", you should find your thread stays cleaner. (Unless people conspire to try to prove me wrong of course!!)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:44:28 am by drah »

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 07:21:13 am »
well, if you had taken up my offer before Laragorn stole it you would have a nice PS themed forum to go off topic on lol.

Do you seriously think you were the first to have the idea? There are other PS based forums out there, people just dont use them. It seems people just like to complain about forum rules, instead of using an outside arena to express themselves. My forum is not the first, nor do i think it will be the last, but it does have an area that allows the discussion of almost anything, which most do not.

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

bilbous

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 09:02:29 am »
I pity the fool