Author Topic: Anyone else suffer from procrastination?  (Read 5033 times)

bilbous

Re: Anyone else suffer from procrastination?
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2007, 12:51:07 am »
And if I am so engrossed in a game that I don't sleep for 36 hours because I keep putting off going to bed? I don't understand what you mean by nullifying the meaning.
Main Entry: pro路cras路ti路nate
Pronunciation: pr&-'kras-t&-"nAt, prO-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -nat路ed; -nat路ing
Etymology: Latin procrastinatus, past participle of procrastinare, from pro- forward + crastinus of tomorrow, from cras tomorrow
transitive verb : to put off intentionally and habitually
intransitive verb : to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done
source

lordraleigh

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2007, 01:23:50 am »
I mean to make the act of "procrastination" as unvoluntary by ignoring all the meanings of the world as absolutes. If there is nothing that "should be done" and if you see procrastination as not intentional, if you deny the own meaning of procrastination as truth in the most radical form of nihilism, you will nullify its meaning. In other words, if you ignore what you were culturally taught about putting off things, procrastination will have no meaning for you.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Nihilism is often described as a belief in the nonexistence of truth.

bilbous

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2007, 01:38:48 am »
I guess I see what you are saying, of course the transitive form of the verb has no sense of "should be done" and if you are doing one thing you are always putting off doing something else even if that something else is "not doing that one thing."

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »
This is related to the discussion Paxil.

Another friend of mine is quitting Paxil.  She wrote this description of her experiences so far:

I quit paxil, with my shrink's blessing.  Mentally I don't really need the antidepressant anymore.
I've tried to get off 3 times already though.  And each time, the withdrawal symptoms made me go back on.
My shrink tells me it's as hard to get off of as heroin.  I wouldn't know, but it can't be too much worse than this.

some that I'm having (from quitpaxil.com)
- an unconventional dizziness/vertigo
- the feeling of shocks, similar to mild electric ones, running the   length of your body (so that's what that snapping feeling is)
- nausea
- hypersensitivity to motion, sounds, smells. (I mean, I know I'm always like this, but often I need to be by myself in a dark room now)
- blurred vision
- headaches (constantly!)
-memory and concentration  problems (very bad - having trouble at work, feeling very lightheaded and trouble thinking straight and talking)
- intense fear of losing your sanity (well, I would feel this way if I didn't know all of this is NORMAL)

Many people think that this are "just in the head" from depression or anxiety from not being on medication.  I actually feel I'm doing very well, mentally.  I've only have one crying fit since I quit.... which was due to pure frustration from feeling so ill.
The worst of it is the dizziness.  If I move my head slowly, everything starts to spin, and my vision gets really blurry.  It feels like spinning on a swing... but I can never get off.  Even moving my EYES can set it off... or thinking too hard.
Almost as bad is the constant pain and pressure in my head and eyes, the constant feeling that I'm going to throw up, and that weird zapping feeling I get randomly.
Last but not least, is the feeling of never feeling "ok".  Since the symptoms started, at any point, I feel really fucking crappy.

I considered taking a leave of absence from work.  But apparently the symptoms can last MONTHS.
So I'm trying to troop this out.  Maybe it will build character.
I can't do too much right now.  Looking at things hurt my eyes.  Watching TV hurts my head.  Surfing the internet makes my dizzy.  Walking, even to the bathroom, almost makes me throw up.

I'm going to sleep now.

Wish me luck (and strength) everyone... please... I need it.

edited again:
ok, I just read that this could last A YEAR.
A YEAR?? ?? ?? ??
I mean, I knew it could last weeks - I was off for 3 weeks the last time before I gave up and went back on.
But a year?? ??
good god.  I'm doomed.  I don't know if I can pull this off.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2007, 12:43:34 am »
That is really sad and not terribly uncommon, psychiatrists are worse in my mind than psychologists because they are frequently just shills for the pharmaceutical companies and they have no conscience. They look for treatments and not for cures because there is little repeat business with a cure. 

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2007, 12:20:53 pm »
This is related to the discussion Paxil.

Another friend of mine is quitting Paxil.  She wrote this description of her experiences so far:

Oh dear god.

Zanzi, I think it's very important that you don't come in contact with her for the next three weeks :P

Actually, on second thought, she seems pretty confident - tell her she'll never manage to do it, but don't make a very convincing argument.
One of the main reasons my mom got through it so well was because her sister kept telling her she'd tried already and it was impossible  :P It pissed her off so much she never even thought of giving up...

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2007, 12:32:56 pm »
That is really sad and not terribly uncommon, psychiatrists are worse in my mind than psychologists because they are frequently just shills for the pharmaceutical companies and they have no conscience. They look for treatments and not for cures because there is little repeat business with a cure. 

I couldnt agree more.
It is sad when someone places their mental health in the hands of a 'Professional' that cares about little other than money.
"here take these.....oh buy the way .... you need to take it for the rest of your life"
'will I get better taking this stuff?'
"Better is a relative term, we can discuss it in our next 32 sessions....by the way here is your bill"

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

lordraleigh

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2007, 12:49:39 pm »

I couldnt agree more.
It is sad when someone places their mental health in the hands of a 'Professional' that cares about little other than money.
"here take these.....oh buy the way .... you need to take it for the rest of your life"
'will I get better taking this stuff?'
"Better is a relative term, we can discuss it in our next 32 sessions....by the way here is your bill"

This is just another evidence for a sad fact I pointed out:

Unfortunately many sciences and not so scientifical theories are influenced and used by politics, both in subtle and outrageously obvious ways. Military applications are sadly what move a considerable amount of scientifical researches in certain countries ( *cough* USA Military-Industrial Complex *cough* ) and governments and corporations fund certain researches with goals that are far from the ideal goal of just supporting the progress of mankind's knowledge through science. Psychology and other sciences of the mind for example

Now time to add some things:

About AIDS and Cancer:

What is better for mankind regarding these problems?
A: To find a cure

What is better for pharmaceutical corporations regarding these problems?
A: To never find a cure and keep people through constant use of medications that fight against the symptoms as it is much more profitable than selling a cure and erradicating the disease.

What's good for the most successful corporations is always, ultimately, good for all of us.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2007, 06:04:50 pm »
Oh dear god.

Zanzi, I think it's very important that you don't come in contact with her for the next three weeks :P

Actually, on second thought, she seems pretty confident - tell her she'll never manage to do it, but don't make a very convincing argument.
One of the main reasons my mom got through it so well was because her sister kept telling her she'd tried already and it was impossible  :P It pissed her off so much she never even thought of giving up...

It effects people in different ways.  I know someone who quit it without any withdrawl symptoms whatsoever.  Others experience disabilitating levels of suffering for a year or more.
Immaturity is FTW.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2007, 07:58:12 am »
It effects people in different ways.  I know someone who quit it without any withdrawl symptoms whatsoever.  Others experience disabilitating levels of suffering for a year or more.

Well, obviously. My concern is that your pessimistic attitude towards the whole drug thing would break her spirit...

Most people don't suffer year-long withdrawal symptoms, and even when they do, most of the symptoms are barely noticeable after the first month or so.
(And even if you don't believe that's true, it's what you should be telling her regardless)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2007, 11:01:29 am »
Well, obviously. My concern is that your pessimistic attitude towards the whole drug thing would break her spirit...

My concern is that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Well, it's less of a concern and more of an observation.

I'm encouraging her.  I have no idea what this BS about "pessimistic attitude towards the whole drug thing" you refer to is.  There are certain facts regarding the drug and I'm simply telling you about them.  My friend is already well informed about it, much more than I am since she actually has personal experience with it.

Most people don't suffer year-long withdrawal symptoms, and even when they do, most of the symptoms are barely noticeable after the first month or so.
(And even if you don't believe that's true, it's what you should be telling her regardless)

Do some freaking research on paxil before the next time you say anything about it.  And no, my friend isn't an idiot who will believe anything I tell her.  She's highly educated on the subject through, if nothing else, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH HER OWN SYMPTOMS.  What the heck are you telling me to do, e-fool?  Tell her that her symptoms are psychosomatic?  Or perhaps I should tell her to shrug it off?

Some of your posts add nothing to the discussion.  Posting for the sake of making noise is unadvisable.
Immaturity is FTW.

lordraleigh

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2007, 11:37:54 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxil#Side_effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxil#Controversy

What cannot be denied is that the release into the public domain of previously secret Glaxo documents, can only serve to stimulate discussion and debate regarding the way certain companies choose to market their products.

Akaye

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Thread head that loves Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2007, 11:49:30 am »
Quote from: emeraldfool

That is not true. O.o  I am surprized with all the back ground you claim to have, that you have never heard of a thing called "addictive personalities." Further more anti depressants have different affects on us all.  Some can stop taking it and not have issues. Where as others have to struggle with the drug not in their system and there is no time frame in which it will end. Could take weeks, months, years. Some people never really recover.
Zorbels: PS character
Links for Newbies:
Players Guide RP Guide PS Settings

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2007, 12:58:41 pm »

That is not true. O.o  I am surprized with all the back ground you claim to have, that you have never heard of a thing called "addictive personalities." Further more anti depressants have different affects on us all.  Some can stop taking it and not have issues. Where as others have to struggle with the drug not in their system and there is no time frame in which it will end. Could take weeks, months, years. Some people never really recover.

There's no such thing as an "addictive personality". At least, that's what I was taught. There's people who may have insecurities, or dependency issues, or were raised to believe 'drugs are the answer', but there's no such thing as someone who was born to be an alcoholic/druggie.

I have never come across a case of someone who has suffered strong withdrawal symptoms from Paxil for over a month or two, and although I'm sure they exist, I'm also sure they're rare. The standard timeframe for Paxil withdrawal symptoms is 1-4 weeks.
I'm not saying it's not addictive, and I'm not saying it can't ruin people's lives, I'm just saying it's not as bad to come off as everyone seems to make it out to be.

There are several other issues concerning Paxil that I'm not so sure about, including a slight potential to induce 'akathisia' in young people, which may cause them to become extremely jumpy and twitchy, possibly even driving them to commit suicide.

And Zanzibar, stop having a tantrum. :P I only meant that you seem to treat the phrase "withdrawal could last from weeks, to months to even years" to automatically mean "Paxil always takes at least a year to come off for all patients, and most patients barely recover from it at all" - that is utter bull, and you know it.

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2007, 01:21:38 pm »
Its not his fault you read that into what was said, wich is clear that is not what he meant.
And yes there are addictive personalities, period.

Taking any drug that plays with pathways in the brain, IMHO, is an extremly dangerous game.

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum