Author Topic: All hail the collapse of the economy!  (Read 8020 times)

mirey

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: All hail the collapse of the economy!
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2007, 02:50:40 pm »
isnt the duplicate bug already fixed???   someone told me it has been fixed yesterday ....

Gwinn Ravenn

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Gwinn (ravenn) Frawd
    • View Profile
    • Sapere Magi current events web page
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2007, 03:02:02 pm »
As I understood it this is a BUG not a Hack. Please!!! any hacker worth his or her code would hack in and fix the code to a game they enjoyed. This guy seems PO'ed . he used a bug to make his point not a hack!   BTW the government enlists hackers to break in to its sensitive systems in order to fix any vulnerabilities. so in a way the gov does nuke itself.  so long as this was done within the game. it is not a hack. Ask any exhacker they will tell you.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2007, 03:07:47 pm »
About the wipe...

Personally I'd almost prefer a wipe to balance things out.  I would not, however, like the wipe to take place before all known bugs are fixed, as those using exploits will simply do it again.  This does bring up a question though, as in the pre-alpha stage of development, you generally are working at adding features so long as the game's stable.  This means the next exploit is right around the corner, and also means that we'd need a wipe for almost every one of these.  So it really seems somewhat pointless to have a wipe before the beta stage of development... just my 2 cents.

About "Vigelante"

Hrmph, I don't blame you, but I don't condone what you did.  I don't think, however, that what he did is nearly as bad as those who used the exploit without reporting it.  While his actions aren't something to be admired, I think his intent is, and it's rather unfortunate that he alone is to be blamed for all of this.  I am not blameing the devs, I'm blameing the players who used the bug.
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Cebot

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2007, 03:15:38 pm »
At least I have to agree with both sides of this discussion:

This bug was known for long and reported (as far as i know) by many people, nothing has changed, people kept silently using it!
The guy has pointed the bug out to everyone and see whats going to happen now, the server is full without any player on, from time to time it changes status to failed, so i guess the devs are working on fixing bugs, thats makes this massive bug abuse, he did, worthy the trouble he caused.

On the other side I also understand why people fear for their characters, RPing is fun, but not all, same means for PLing.
@Coneitic, we both have evil chars, we both kept provoking people as much as we could and I for myself won't reject a challenge just because my char is to weak to fight.
So i also agree with those who fear their chars - and i fear mine too since getting back to a decent level is hard enough.

@ ALL: i would be please by not offinding eachother for their opinions :) [not ooc atleast :D]

however, there is work going on and at least it is a good thing, even if the way to reach that was a bit strange

PS: who is totally innocent to any bug abuse (knowing about it or accidently doesn't matter) may throw the first stone - i for myself won't throw a stone and i think most people around won't also throw a stone.
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why do I fight and why do I feel that
I carry a sword, that I carry a sword through a battlefield?

VNV Nation - Joy

Russ

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2007, 03:23:04 pm »
What bothers me in this hole war affair with hackers vs Devs and so-on is that the good guy, hard working building his charactor who might be ignorant of what "evil if you like to call it that" has been happing around him for the sake of having a fun time playing a game solo or with buddies.  The only ones here who suffer are those who just play the game for the game.  Hackers and Devs will continue there see-saw battle without respect to the REAL players. 

I don't dissagree that hackers shouldn't find weaknesses within the scrips.  I don't dissagree with the Devs fixing those bugs....

BUT for god sakes leave us out of it as best as you can.  I think I speak for many who are tired of playing a game and can't enjoy a unique world with alot of potential to be great. 

I was reassuring other gamers at the time that this wipe wasn't as bad as it sounds.  Today I read these post and I question my decision.  I have played on and off for over 2 years I believe my memory serves me right.  I gave the game a break for many months hoping they would improve on it which they did.  I come back 3 days ago and all is an impressive work done on by the DEVs thanks.  I made new friends and was quite lucky to find on my second day trias lying around.  I didn't know about a bug or exploit with duplicating then.  From what was shouted out was a GM dropping goods at that time.  I don't know if its true or false but I thought it was part of the game.  So I shared my new found cash with other players.  But today being the 4th day I thank the Hackers for it. 

What scared me was that most of the players and friends I started to know were only 2 week players.  I hadn't found any old players.  Maybe they changed characters... or they just left out of fustration.  Point is If you wipe my character you have kill who I was in this world.  Yes its just a game.  I will live on.  I will live on without Planeshift too.  I don't waist my time because I have to suffer for those few who are responsible.  The cool thing about this is I'm not alone.  Plainshift has such a high turnaround that only hardcore fans would stay and play such a game even if it is free.

I've played Merdian 59, Everquest and even Warcraft online all have similar problems but what they don't do is scrap players characters at least when I was on it...

Anyhow I sure you don't care what I say anyways. For every one of me theres 10 suckers ready to play..  But if you do give a damb.... Instead of hacker vs DEV's why not work together.  How about a hacker guild that sole purpose is finding bugs.  Have the devs fix them but let the hackers exist to face these battles.  So they have 10 billion Trias or 1000 silver weaved weapons.  Its only good for the hackers groups would honour the regular players and not spoil the game. 

Example Matrix movie.  Neo couldn't free all the humans all at once why?  Most were not ready to accept change. Many like there're ficticious world as is. So DEV being the MEN in black have to keep justice and hackers being the resistance....  Get it guys... Its a win win scenerio for us all. 

Anyhow I have to say my good byes... Maybe I will come back in a year and see what has changed....  :detective:

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2007, 03:28:49 pm »
The only ones here who suffer are those who just play the game for the game.

We are not players.  We are volunteers who are merely testing the game.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Tarel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2007, 03:52:44 pm »

All i will say in this matter is, that GM's are not programmers.
GM's are ingame moderators and not Developers.
GM's and Developers are 2 seperate teams.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:19:38 pm by neko kyouran »
Greetings,

Tarel Barilele

Quote from DaveG: I've said it before, and I'll say it again, please don't blame the game when you screw up.

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2007, 04:40:59 pm »
after reading all this, and seeign what was deleted =)

seems only a few mind the wipe. but what about this.

why not the devs take a few sick days of work, maybe stay up an hour later a day, and seriously overhaul the game. cuz really the last update was a joke... not to be offensive but we all know it.

and while this is going on. let everyone, as zorbel put it, enjoy what the game has to offer, give everyoen a chance to see what is in the game, the stuff they once couldnt see because of lack of funds.

and of course give people plenty of time to practice and brush up on rping. in my eyes theres really nothing left to do for us who have leveled enough but rp, this just makes it official.

i really like this game, its still one of my favorites, and i would love to come back and rp with you all, but a few things need to change before i return, no demands, just a few things that will better coneitics rp.

p.s. wouldnt it be something if that fool that reached the crystal was coneitic? ahhhh secrets revealed.
There is no right or wrong.... only Trias.

~Conietic

Narure

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »
I was ignorant to this bug and the people using it and i was ignorant to the mass item giving the other day. A wipe seems pretty heavy. But it wont bother me much, a fresh start never does any harm really.

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2007, 04:56:14 pm »
if the devs dont do a full wipe..... it'd be lame, seriously

you can take the trias back, you can take the weapons back, can u also take the stats gained thru this bug? can you take back the magic ways lvled in the hundreds? please dont tell me the devs missed the big picture.. just because one guy did this to blow up the economy, doesnt mean the economy wasnt already on the rocks, more and more people were learnign about this, and more and more people were maxign stats and leveling hardcore with their new found bug. the only proper way to fix this is a wipe.

anything else would be insufficiant.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:00:52 pm by neko kyouran »
There is no right or wrong.... only Trias.

~Conietic

neko kyouran

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »
Wipes happen.  Deal with it.

You are a tester first and foremost.  Deal with it.

You don't like it?  Go play WoW.

Any more outbursts from anyone, and they will find themselves in a world of hurt. 

Edit,

On second thought, Ill leave this thread open.  Of course, if I don't find any post made to be suitable, I'll just remove it.

If you don't have something constructive to say, do us all a favor, and keep the hands off the keyboard.

Edit Edit, for further clarity, Yes. I have been deleting posts.  Quite heavily.  And I will continue to do so.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:20:37 pm by neko kyouran »

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2007, 08:36:12 pm »
Allive, (Edit by neko for clarity: original person's post removed. /edit) I feel for you, but I also hope this helps you to realise that 'trias' aren't real - they have no value outside of Planeshift, and from the looks of it, not much value inside Planeshift either X-/. If you focus everything on making money, you're bound to get burned sooner or later. This is in alpha, which means the economy will never be perfect, or even close to perfect, which means trias aren't a good investment of your time...

And that's some damn constructive advice, whether or not the original post was :P

Discussing forum moderator actions openly is against forum policy.  Send a PM or email to the admins or another moderator if you wish to discuss a moderator's actions. -- Neko

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2007, 08:57:50 pm »
Hello everyone, bet your guessing who i am, Well in short, i am the Vigilante that Brought the Weapons and money to the land
of Yliacom. I would like everyone to know why i have done this.. First this bug that has been known for some time now was
allowed to continue, more and more people learning it while less and less spoke of it, this problem was not a single person
making weapons and money for himself, this was many people throughout the game. no one spoke of it
yet many used it. by doing what i did, i accomplished my mission in getting that bug fixed.

You claim you're the one?  Nice try, I don't believe you.  :-)

Prove it.

- Venge

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2007, 10:15:21 pm »
It's impossible to please everyone and fix everything at once. But at least you get to play. I haven't been able to play for months now (mac user) and I don't even remember what I had in stock.

And we all want to play in the end. Alpha, beta or whatever you want to call it, it's a great game because it has a great community that is mainly RP oriented and RP will always come out unscathed from any wipe.

It's good to hear that the community is mostly taking it well, focusing on what really matters: the characters built, not the item lists. I hope I get to RP with you all soon. Until then, I guess I'll still be missing :P

:: The Flaming Feather :: Lady of the Rangers ::

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2007, 11:13:24 pm »
Zhai i feel for you and miss your presence.