Author Topic: Quote mechanism  (Read 2544 times)

bilbous

Quote mechanism
« on: February 11, 2007, 03:26:54 pm »
Is it considered appropriate forum behavior to use the quote function to attribute to another user words that they never said or is this considered an abuse of the forum rules? I think it should not be allowed as it fits fairly well the second definition of the word "libel." If it is a perfectly acceptable rhetorical tactic I will be happy to precede all future posts with fake quotations of this sort. I do think this is the wrong way to go, however.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Quote mechanism
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 03:37:04 pm »
well, let's see. the best way to describe it....

it is about as acceptable as stomping on cute little kittens. we can't really stop you. but be prepared for the inevitable splash that such actions will cause.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:50:52 pm »
I don't see a problem. It's not like the original post is any different.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 04:07:02 pm »
In this age of global accessibility where employers do web searches of prospective employees but not always duly diligent it is completely possible for a search to find out of context things which will have adverse affects. While the practice here has not been greatly defamatory the principle is what this discussion is about and not particular instances.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:42:57 pm »
In this age of global accessibility where employers do web searches of prospective employees but not always duly diligent it is completely possible for a search to find out of context things which will have adverse affects. While the practice here has not been greatly defamatory the principle is what this discussion is about and not particular instances.

heh I read an article on that the other day about employers googling employees names to see what they were up to on the net.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 05:05:55 pm »
Indeed and one question they may ask of your personal references is: do you know any nicknames X frequently posts under? I do not think this topic is without merit.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:57:06 pm »
When people use the quote feature and put in something that a person never said, I take care of it.

:)

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:17:20 pm »
I think that if people are inclined to use this technique there are better ways such as using a wrapper phrase like:
to paraphrase you ...;

what you said was
what I hear is ....;

or something along those lines.

It isn't very hard.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:20:15 pm »
Is it considered appropriate forum behavior to use the quote function to attribute to another user words that they never said or is this considered an abuse of the forum rules? I think it should not be allowed as it fits fairly well the second definition of the word "libel." If it is a perfectly acceptable rhetorical tactic I will be happy to precede all future posts with fake quotations of this sort. I do think this is the wrong way to go, however.

When it's incredibly obvious to any sane human being that the quoted text is not meant to be attributed to the person it is attributed to, then I don't see what the problem is.  Here's an example.

Bilbous never actually said this.  This was typed in by Zanzibar to demonstrate a point.

Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:52 pm »
The point is that an internet search for bilbous might pull up the erroneous quote and the context will not be readily apparent on the search results page, so someone can come to the wrong conclusion from a cursory review. After all the internal search function for the forum is not the only search that can find the term.

For example If I start peppering the forum with erroneous quotes from you saying that you like to set fire to kittens and then your boss sees three pages of hits of "I want to burn kittens" he might think twice about giving you that promotion or even keeping you on the payroll and never look further than the summary. Obviously this is an extreme example but it illustrates the idea pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:46:16 pm by bilbous »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:01:03 pm »
For example If I start peppering the forum with erroneous quotes from you saying that you like to set fire to kittens and then your boss sees three pages of hits of "I want to burn kittens" he might think twice about giving you that promotion or even keeping you on the payroll and never look further than the summary. Obviously this is an extreme example but it illustrates the idea pretty well.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be as incredibly stupid as that, even if they do have a job in management.
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:28:36 pm »
It is a matter of optics, it doesn't matter what reality is most people take things at face value. How many times did the US administration and its sycophantic media proclaim WMD and how many were found? Why does the seal hunt get more attention than chicken factories? It is all about optics. I could just as easily used the example of painting you as a white supremacist. It is just a bad idea to allow it.

Is "I was just joking" a defense for yelling "Fire!" in a crowded room? Some things are just better to err on the side of caution.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:51:23 pm »
It is a matter of optics...

I agree.  It's a matter of sight.  Any person who isn't an idiot can tell what's going on simply be looking at it.  I think most idiots would be able to tell as well.
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24:40 am »
You are entitled to your opinion. I tell you this though most HR people are looking to find a reason to reject an applicant and to reduce the sheer volume they have to wade through so first appearances are VERY important. At the very least, finding a bunch of dubious hits next to your name is an indication that you may be annoying or lack judgment in when to get out of a bad situation. You may not get the opportunity to plead your case.

I have been using this nick for ten years or so and it is fairly unique, I do not want it associated with things I did not say. Some of the things I say are bad enough in their own way but at least I said them.

I do not like it when someone twists my word as happens on occasion but it is orders of magnitude worse when they flat out quote me as saying something I did not say. The way these forums work is that it is possible that your quote was actually something I said and then edited out so making up quotes defeats the whole purpose of the quote tag.

If you still don't get it, I will not be able to make you understand, perhaps someone else can try.

lordraleigh

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 12:55:20 am »
For example purposes, here is an evidence(I created this to demonstrate it) of how easy the quote system can be exploited using the right opportunities.

Stop whining about the changes on the combat system retarded kids! This is an alpha stage project and you're testers after all, don't expect that the current game systems will be kept unchanged and this game is about roleplay, not players skills based duel, so shut your mouths and keep these forums clean!

Karyuu posted on the thread where this fake message framed against zanzi supposedly existed:

In keeping with drah's intentions for this thread (I applaud you!) I will remove posts that are not serious suggestions. If you want to complain, you missed the boat.

So there would be no way to prove zanzibar did not post that for example(Unless the mods and admins of the forum keep backups from delete posts, etc.).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:58:36 am by lordraleigh »