Author Topic: Time for Performance Optimization?  (Read 816 times)

lordraleigh

Time for Performance Optimization?
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:26:02 am »
I have a complaint to do: Planeshift currently could be called a resource hog!

Still it does not have the texture quality of a Doom 3 or Half-life 2, so I only can hope that in its futures stages of development(or hopefully now) attention will be given to the question of optimization on both code and art.

First let me ask if the art department has some performance directives:

Is there any directive about polycounts on meshes and on the maps of Planeshift?
Is Planeshift prone to HOM and BSP errors?
Is there any directive on optimizing the PS textures and skins?

And the most important(Although I believe the answer probably is "soon(tm)"  >o)):

Is there a code general cleanup and optimization planned for soon?

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Time for Performance Optimization?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:06:08 pm »
erm exactly how is this a complaint ? why is it "gamers" these days have to have and demand graphics ? cant you be happy with a game that has a good storie good ppl and some good rp in it ? and exactly how good do you expect the graphcs to get eh ? i recently been playing guild wars and there graphics are by no means near the standerd of doom 3 either. ok there is a few like eve and maybe wow that have good graphics but you have to pay for them. why graphics are so important ill never know some of the best games i have ever played and ill say this even myself that the graphics  have been fairly poor compaired to others but the game still made me go back again and again and again.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

lordraleigh

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:07:22 pm »
@Allive: This is not a complaint on graphics, but on performance.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:08:56 pm »
erm nope i see 2 thirds of your first post about graphics mate not performance.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:21:15 pm »
PS very low system requirements already imo. From a code side of things, optimisations are always good and I'd welcome a bit of consolidation for one release (not that things are falling to bits or anything). Note that most of the fps-changing optimisations will come from CS, not us. From a graphics side of things we should be pushing for more eye-candy. As for texture and poly optimisation, we're already doing everything I can think of to keep the performance as good as possible. Too much imo :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:24:18 pm by Xordan »