Author Topic: Crafting/Market Crash  (Read 2762 times)

TomT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting/Market Crash
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 08:05:01 pm »
Thats a bug - crafting should be deducting from quality based on lack of skills about 100x more then it actually is - we will fix that as soon as we can.

That will allowed the skilled player to create much better quality items then the unskilled.

Please let me know if you think the new numbers are more ballanced.  Thanks.

kimhari

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 11:35:25 pm »
Thats great news.

Could we get an update when this bug is fixed?

Thankyou,
Kimhari

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 12:00:54 pm »
Thats a bug - crafting should be deducting from quality based on lack of skills about 100x more then it actually is - we will fix that as soon as we can.

That will allowed the skilled player to create much better quality items then the unskilled.

Please let me know if you think the new numbers are more ballanced.  Thanks.

If that is to be the case then I think a master blacksmith (Say, lvl 30 in both blacksmithing and sword-making, as an example) should be able to make weapons a lot more powerful than those carried by random rogues and gladiators (i.e. higher than 300/300). It wouldn't make sense if you have to spend millions of tria and PP just to be able to make weapons that are on-par with an iron shortsword...

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 08:44:47 am »
erm mererald fold no. and anyway 300/300 qaulity 2/ weapons are rougly as strong as irons witch are over powerd the qaulity above say 100 should only be for the act that they last long yes they do more dmg than standard but the dmged delt should stop after the weapon gise iver 100 - 150 quality.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 10:29:41 am »
Actually the maximum quality and damage on the weapons crafted should be the work of a master blacksmith (a character maxed in blacksmith skill).

If we look at the incremental way the magic system and other skills works, then it becomes apparent that progression in blacksmith should be an incremental climb, starting with basic swords and other weapons that have maybe two times basic quality as a start, and ending with the weapons that hit like irons with the maximum quality rating.

So, a first level blacksmith could produce a short sword at 100 quality, that hits maybe twice as good as a regular short sword, but the process of then going to the maximum damage and quality would be a long, incremental climb.

If anything, tweaking the numbers in that direction would produce a satisfying experience to a weapons crafter, and it would help to bring the market back in line.

Unfortunately, before Black Monday, the weapons prices in game were out of control. Vast sums of tria were being traded with no basis for knowing what a tria or a weapon was really worth. An economy must have a perspective, in other words there needs to be a solid low and high for values.

Factoring in slash and quality on NPCs that trade in weapons, so that a Silverweave is not only worth 160 tria (or whatever it is) from Harnquist, would at least give us a starting point. I have always thought of value as starting with my own valuation of 10k per slash (and that is LOW compared to what I have seen in game).

(Of course everything posted on this board is IMHO. Please don't argue, just work the ideas, TomT will take it from there. This is just my two bits.)

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 05:47:14 pm »
Swords cost too much for the set economy. The reason is that training costs way too much (1 tria = about $0.50 USD. Figure it out.) People are spending a greater amount in the game to become good fighters than it takes to send several surgens through the best shools in the country. In real life, that is.

Second reason is money is too easy to come by. It is easy to become filty rich in just a few days of playing.

I think training should cost far less, and nothing at all in some cases (such as mining, farming, or slow self-training in most other skills), and money should be harder to come by. Food should cost more, and be used as training and stamina buffs, not for healing. Potions should also cost more, as should glyphs and training for magic, as I see these as mastery skills that can not be learned from anyone but a master of the craft.

On swords themselves:

A new high quality sword should not do any more damage than a new low quality sword of the same design and sharpness. If they look the same, weigh about the same, and have a sharp edge, they will do the same amount of damage on soft tissue. However the low qualty sword will dull faster, and lose damage ability faster. It could also break. The Higer quality would survive harder hits on harder materials woithout getting dull or breaking.

TomT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 08:04:29 pm »
Since the server has been restarted two things have been fixed. 

It is no longer possible to make high quality steel stock by hammering cold stock repeatedly on the anvil.  It will need to be reheated and then reworked to remove the impurities.  Even then it will take much longer to reach the quality that was reached in a short time before.  Or at least that is the plan.

Also, now the effect of skills on quality is more like what we originally planned.  We had a problem with a misplaced decimal place.  (At least we are not launching satellites.)  This means we will need to get some more craft skill trainers out there as soon as we can.

On swords themselves:

A new high quality sword should not do any more damage than a new low quality sword of the same design and sharpness. If they look the same, weigh about the same, and have a sharp edge, they will do the same amount of damage on soft tissue. However the low qualty sword will dull faster, and lose damage ability faster. It could also break. The Higer quality would survive harder hits on harder materials woithout getting dull or breaking.

Don’t get me started on condition verses quality! :)

Someday I may wear down the powers that be and get something like what you suggest put into place, but for now there are definitely bigger fish to fry.

Please let a GM or me know if there are any more shortcuts to grand quality.

Thanks.

lordraleigh

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 09:05:46 pm »
I have an idea about training that could work fine for job skils and for magic as well.

Instead of paying to learn and develop a skill, your character could become an apprentice for a master crafter or for a wizard, and assist him sometimes in the daily tasks (heating stocks, magical experiments, etc) in exchange of his knowledges on the area.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 11:09:29 am »
That would work great, but in that case PPs should be harder to gain or skills more difficult to train, and the value of gold ore would need to be greatly reduced. Maybe some NPCs could still offer training for a SMALL fee. I think it is a bit unrealistic that character can't teach other ones the skills they have already learned, and only NPCs can do that. And if characters are able to train others, the payment for training would be useless, as many would offer it for free anyway. First of all, it would stabilize the economy as it makes it independent from the training system. One of the reason why prices dropped so greatly, is that most of the money is spent on training, since a huge bunch of new trainers got available. The money would stay in circulation, not appearing into the apperently huge bags of the NPCs.

Gherph

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 11:50:23 am »
Can anyone tell me why, players who have high Blacksmithing skill and those who have low are getting the same quality stock when refining? Also, quality of stock just keeps going down not up????? I think the dev's "overfixed" this crafting issue. Now crafting is down, NPCS is down, you leave VERY VERY little room for reasons to continue to play this game. Maybe you could boost morale by some GM events, RPing.. etc.....

:oops:

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 11:52:31 am »
You'll have to do the RPing part for yourself  ;). Quality goes down when your mental stamina is not full. If it is full, the quality goes up. The  quality of the current crafted weapons is bugged. Check the whole thread.