Author Topic: Let's make some changes and be more RP for Laanx sake!  (Read 2203 times)

Volund

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Let's make some changes and be more RP for Laanx sake!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 07:39:08 pm »
First, TRY to enforce rules on people, they either REBEL or ACCEPT. Encourage it with good arguments and dont be a jerk about it...and Im sure people will listen. Second I am so tired of explaining Roleplay to people, Ive pretty much laid out 15 peopel on ignore for not shutting up and going on about a topic I dont care about. Read the forums, read the player guide, read the settings.
We all know ylians have the package, the looks, the brain, pretty much all of it, I feel guilty.

bloodedIrishman's alter-ego while stunned by the banhammer.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 09:40:31 pm »
First, TRY to enforce rules on people, they either REBEL or ACCEPT. Encourage it with good arguments and dont be a jerk about it...and Im sure people will listen. Second I am so tired of explaining Roleplay to people, Ive pretty much laid out 15 peopel on ignore for not shutting up and going on about a topic I dont care about. Read the forums, read the player guide, read the settings.

No.  If people are being unreasonable, if people are breaking the rules and refuse to stop, BAN THEM.  That's not being a jerk, that's enforcing the rules.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

lordraleigh

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 11:09:31 pm »
I see no need of getting to the point of:

OOC crimethink, doubleplusungood. Miniluv fix OOC crimethinkers. IC goodthink, doubleplusgood. Minitrue approved

Roleplaying should be primarily encouraged and stimulated, not forced and imposed.

This isn't supposed to become an OOC virtual police state, this is a roleplaying game! Simply things should be done in the nice way: by making features that are more attractive to roleplayers instead of powerlevellers/l33ts(A full overhaul on the current character skills development system and of the combat system to make character development less dependant on grinding mobs and more based on going for adventures - more complex and challenging quests or GM Events - would be one of them).

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 11:32:37 pm »
So to encourage RP, we have to be tolerant of OOC disruptions? ???
Immaturity is FTW.

lordraleigh

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2007, 11:41:41 pm »
So to encourage RP, we have to be tolerant of OOC disruptions? ???

Redutio ad absurdum...

What I meant is that it isn't a great way to teach a newbie on becoming a good roleplayer by saying "Shut up with this OOC talk or I will BAN you!" or by enforcing roleplaying in an excessively harsh manner.

Volund

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 06:23:07 pm »
Zanzibar, first impressions man, be nice, encourage please.
We all know ylians have the package, the looks, the brain, pretty much all of it, I feel guilty.

Xanacru

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 06:45:56 pm »
I've noticed in several threads on this forum that whenever there is an argument about Role-Playing, some people are quick to say, "If you don't like Role-Playing, go play WoW". I thought I'd point something out for those particular people to consider in the future. This is WoW's Role-Playing Policy (yes, Policy, not Guidelines) on their RP servers. I'd say that's pretty strict. :)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 06:50:29 pm »
Perfect. We should get one of those.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

lirucan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:37 pm »
on their RP servers

yes quite... much like EQ was back when SOV was new... only they have added strictly RP only and relaxed RP servers...

that *MAY* be an option the PS devs could look at in the future...

for a game that was intended for RP but became just a straight out PK fest look at CO
gentoo lovers will laugh at our description :)

If you feel your Question has been answered please edit the original post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line!

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 07:29:23 pm »
Why are all of you assuming that I'm talking about new players?  The problem players I'm talking about have been around for months.
Immaturity is FTW.

lordraleigh

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:35 pm »
I've noticed in several threads on this forum that whenever there is an argument about Role-Playing, some people are quick to say, "If you don't like Role-Playing, go play WoW". I thought I'd point something out for those particular people to consider in the future. This is WoW's Role-Playing Policy (yes, Policy, not Guidelines) on their RP servers. I'd say that's pretty strict. :)

They considered that it wouldn't be wise to ignore the "Roleplaying" niche of gamers as potential customers, too bad not all MMORPGs have servers for the customers that prefer to roleplay than to PK, 1337 or powerlevel.

A more strict enforcement of roleplaying? Perhaps once Planeshift achieves a more advanced stage of development with more game features to support roleplaying properly, but sometimes OOC is necessary, specially for supporting newbies until Planeshift has a nice and decent built-in game tutorial explaining not only the game systems, but roleplaying as well. A "Character Creation" tutorial would be a great addition, and a built-in "Yliakumpedia", like Civilization's Civilopedia, inside the game, with info on the Settings would also be excellent addition to reduce the need of helping noobs.

Why are all of you assuming that I'm talking about new players?  The problem players I'm talking about have been around for months.

If they're problem players, there is a command called /report

Xanacru

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 06:14:52 pm »
yes quite... much like EQ was back when SOV was new... only they have added strictly RP only and relaxed RP servers...

that *MAY* be an option the PS devs could look at in the future...

They considered that it wouldn't be wise to ignore the "Roleplaying" niche of gamers as potential customers, too bad not all MMORPGs have servers for the customers that prefer to roleplay than to PK, 1337 or powerlevel.

Interesting to note is that RP-PvP types of realms were added into WoW later due to a player demand, in addition to just RP realms. Also, despite the seemingly strict RP policy for both realms, it is rarely enforced in any harsh manner, unless you are being harassed. OOC chat can still occassionally be seen slipping through in the main channel but not as much as on non-RP servers, and usually not as blatant.

The whole setup has probably much more to do with maximizing their profits and keeping a large customer base, since more happy customers = more profits. Nonetheless, according to a WoW player base, the seemingly strict RP policy is actually more of a guideline in practice than an enforcement. Still, those who like to RP are more likely to flock to the RP than non-RP realms.

I doubt that PlaneShift can afford so many different types of servers. Even the current server exists only because it is sponsored by Fragnetics. The best solution is probably to find a comfortable middle ground, filtering out the most obvious and obnoxious OOC silliness but not coming off as a dictatorship either. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:36:59 pm by Xanacru »

Volund

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 06:20:28 pm »
WoW RP servers are in now way the roleplay we would consider planeshift to be. (RP) is the same as (PvE) or (PvP), its the thought its true roleplay. Its not. WoW is not a roleplay game. Bit off the current topic. Planeshift goes through a routine cycle of players coming and leaving anyway.

Xanacru

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 06:25:48 pm »
Planeshift goes through a routine cycle of players coming and leaving anyway.

That's normal for any game. I doubt that the reasons for coming and leaving are limited to Role-Playing issues either.