Author Topic: 'How-To's for Dummies, Informative Format Suggestion  (Read 3229 times)

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
'How-To's for Dummies, Informative Format Suggestion
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:32:47 pm »
Alright... i've already suggested this in the Forum Issues, but it was recommended here. This will need some touch ups but it's a great format for Planeshift info.
The would be a forum where player could write 'How-To's so other players who don't want to ask dumb questions or if they just want to know how something is done in-game. There'd be a format which players would have to write their 'How-To's or add 'How-To' processes to an already done topic. This would be the 'wiki' of Planeshift. Topics could be removed or edited by moderators at any time. (More specifics at the bottom)

Example:

Topic: How to Mine

Specific Statement: This will guide a player in the act of mining.

Requirements: A pick, a place to mine with available resources, and sufficient mental and physical stamina.

How to:
1) Find a location to mine by asking other players or by finding one yourself. Finding one yourself can be very hard and tedious, and without prior experience, is nearly impossible.
2) When a mine is found, equip the pick in the right hand slot on your character.
3) Dig for the appropriate mineral available by typing /dig iron. You can replace the iron with any other mineral that can be mined.*

Hints and Tips
1) You will not always get the mineral you are trying to mine. In truth, you actually have a low chance of getting the desired mineral on the first try so don't give up. You can raise your chance of getting a mineral by increasing your mining level. Also the more precious the mineral, the less chance you have of obtaining it.
2) You will only be able to mine as much as you can carry and if you go over you will have to get rid of items or the some of the mineral to move again. You can trade though, so if you are planning to sell the minerals, then you can get rid of weight by selling.

(end of example) Ok, as you can see, it will need to be a full 'How-to'. Although this is nice for those who just don't get it, it will need some discretion so that it will still leave fun in finding out some of this to the player. Vague and hints are suggested in the 'How-To' but please make it good enough that it's not just some riddle or that only experienced player know what is being talked about. There are some helpless newbs that need some help but don't want to ask, or are being ignored. So please consider this as a possible forum.
You will only receive as much respect and integrity and you show to others...

It takes 11 muscles to frown and 4 to slap that motherf@#$er across the face :D

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
  • "In game i am know as Yotanis"
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
Re: 'How-To's for Dummies, Informative Format Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:48 am »
Ill repeat what i stated in the other forum.

Would this guide break the rules in regards to information that should be learnt in game.
Only the internet brings people together through ideals alone

neko kyouran

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:50:28 am »
there is nothing wrong with posting a guide on how to properly use game mechanics.  Game mechanics are purely OOC information.

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:38:51 am »
well I see it as just letting people know how to do things that they just don't know about, or can't figure out, or being ignored by annoyed veteran players. Even some experienced players need some guidance when trying to figure stuff out. I, myself when i started, could not for the life of me figure out how to mine. After following another person to a mining place asked and asked what to do and no one would tell me so i just tried loads of stuff. After about an hour of failing, a veteran told me what to mine and how to do it. I had logged off and on about 12 times in that hour because of frustration of not being helped and the inability of figuring it out. I tried the help channel but the advisors were too busy or didn't want to answer a stupid question.
So i think that making a guide would be just fine as long as it showed how but was unspecific and maybe more general. The moderators could edit or delete an entry if they thought it was too specific.

macchesney

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:53:52 am »
Malehizen i like your wave length.. :thumbup:

But i think this kind of think would be more successful in a wiki, why dont you start one?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:00:51 pm »
Malehizen i like your wave length.. :thumbup:

But i think this kind of think would be more successful in a wiki, why dont you start one?

we already have pswiki.xordan.com for such but keep to the standard formatting we have there if you wish to add such info there.

macchesney

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:34 pm »
Yeah, i knew that...  :whistling: :-[

There you go Malehizen  :D

Malehizen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:11:20 pm »
i really don't have that much experience in making websites. I've only made 2 in my lifetime but i can edit and submit stuff. If a PS 'wiki' was added to the official forum then i'd easily submit entries and topics. I'd love to make one if i knew how though.

So about this pswiki.xordan.com... i could add entries? just wondering

neko kyouran

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:14 pm »

Da_Kaos_Child

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:39:22 am »
showing people that there is a /dig command is awfully convienent

i even tried /mine after being told just an hour or 2 ago.

I think a useful bit of advice for finding a mine , would be to look for a bit of a hill carved out with darker colouring which is how the ore is illistrated.

i think at a later release it will be easier to identify metal mines