Author Topic: A New Crafting Guide  (Read 14079 times)

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: A New Crafting Guide
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:33 pm »
The only problem I see here... is that after the "player wipe"... how are you supposed to get stocks to complete the quest to get to book to make the stocks? I agree there is a definite chicken and egg problem if everyone starts from scratch.

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 10:07:28 pm »
Eh? The book is achieved on completing a quest that involves bringing a certain number of a certain ore, not one that involves bringing a certain number of stock of a certain metal  ;)

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 04:38:57 am »
yeah, but...

Just a item of interest (I hope).  Lately ingame, people have been complaining that harnquist gives the quests out of order.

now, before you hit the reply, let me explain.  they want to work with stock.  they ask ingame, they get told to keep doing quests for harnquist, but then he gives the swordmaking one before the working with stock one.  I confirmed this with 2 alts I played a bit in the may-june period... So I suggest another way they can get the working with stock book.  but a lot of the guilds and "old-timers" still tell them to go to harnquist.  One person told me they did the working with Tin 3 times.. and still no working with stock book.. so maybe he just does not give it anymore?

anyways, be aware.

ME

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 05:38:21 pm »
Harnquist gives out several quests, at least 5 of them, and he doesn't give them in any order. So if you need the book, don't accept the quest given unless it's the one you need. I once had to bug him for about 5 minutes before he gave me the right quest. Same with Trasok. It would be nice if the sword- (and axe-) making quests were dependent on having completed either one of the stock-making quests, but things are the way they are, and at least you can't lock yourself out unless you absolutely don't talk to any other players.

Aiwendil

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 01:38:08 am »
So if you need the book, don't accept the quest given unless it's the one you need. I once had to bug him for about 5 minutes before he gave me the right quest.

Or just interact with some other players and buy the needed stocks from them...;)

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 04:52:57 pm »
I will keep this short.

In reply to:
So if you need the book, don't accept the quest given unless it's the one you need. I once had to bug him for about 5 minutes before he gave me the right quest.

Or just interact with some other players and buy the needed stocks from them...;)

I said earlier:
now, before you hit the reply, let me explain.  they want to work with stock.  they ask ingame, they get told to keep doing quests for harnquist, but then he gives the swordmaking one before the working with stock one.  I confirmed this with 2 alts I played a bit in the may-june period...

If you NEED the book, and you do not know to either get it another way, or to decline quests (which I did not think of, thanks Bragan) then you end up doing the the "wrong" ones over and over.  and after getting Harnquist 30 apples, you can see someone could be frustrated?  No? 

Aiwendil, Not sure if you are following the discussion, but the problem exists only when advice like yours is meted out.  If the Newbs were not told by others that (NPC) gives 'quest a', then 'quest b', and then 'quest c', and then when it does not work that way, tell them to "just buy stocks and come back later for the right one", they would not be doing just that.  (where would they get this information, if not from others?)

But what about when it no longer works like that? 

I played alts to confirm this, only because I could not understand why so many people were getting upset with it Ingame. 

So I ask, when helping new players, make yourselves available for follow up, and LISTEN to what they are saying.  You have no idea how many people seem to be on the point of quiting because the "instructions" they were giving were making them try for DAYS to get the book, with no success.  I am sure (sure hoping!) that is no one's intent.

Aiwendil

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 06:19:07 am »
I will keep this short.

If you NEED the book, and you do not know to either get it another way, or to decline quests (which I did not think of, thanks Bragan) then you end up doing the the "wrong" ones over and over.  and after getting Harnquist 30 apples, you can see someone could be frustrated?  No? 

Aiwendil, Not sure if you are following the discussion, but the problem exists only when advice like yours is meted out.  If the Newbs were not told by others that (NPC) gives 'quest a', then 'quest b', and then 'quest c', and then when it does not work that way, tell them to "just buy stocks and come back later for the right one", they would not be doing just that.  (where would they get this information, if not from others?)

But what about when it no longer works like that? 

I played alts to confirm this, only because I could not understand why so many people were getting upset with it Ingame. 

So I ask, when helping new players, make yourselves available for follow up, and LISTEN to what they are saying.  You have no idea how many people seem to be on the point of quiting because the "instructions" they were giving were making them try for DAYS to get the book, with no success.  I am sure (sure hoping!) that is no one's intent.

Since I started playing PS you always got the quests from Harnquist in random order. My point is just that this isn't that bad. As far as I understand you, your problem is that you can do the quests only completely on your own when you do them in the right order. But I don't think every character should be able to do all quests on his own. And if I remember correctly Trasok or Harnquist even tell you in one quests that they don't matter where you get the material they need from ;). So for me these quests are a nice way to improve players interactions. I see your point, that it can be a bit frustrating for a new player to accept a quest, trying to find the solution for some days just to be told by another player then that he needs another quests first or buy the needed material form someone else. But I don't think it's unrealistic that someone who wants to learn a profession has to do some tasks for which he need the help of others. Or another example: If a blacksmith, who only has enough fighting skills to show his customers his weapons, needs to obtain a heart of a great, fluffy creature, which surely would kill him, I guess nobody would blame the blacksmith if he asks a professional hunter to get the heart for him. So I don't see a problem with quests that are only completeable for a player with the help of others.

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 09:12:28 pm »
close.... real close.

my "problem" (your word, not mine, I prefer "point" is that many people in game are saying one thing to the new players, namely that he gives them in order, and not telling other options for getting the book, (notice I am not saying WHY they are doing this.  I would have to be psychic, but it may be because they were told, or it worked that way for them, or whatever, it does not matter why they are saying it)

BTW, note my posts.  they (the quests) are not just out of order... you can get the apple, the tin ore the working with sword, then the apple again, over and over, without getting the WWS one.... that is not out of order, but random, as some have said here already.  Big difference.  They complain it is out of order, only if they were told there was an order.  Stop and think about this point.  It matters.  If I told you he gives them out randomly, or told you nothing, would you complain that they were "not in order"? 

So the newbie gets frustrated and quits.  so: my "problem" (again I prefer my "point") is:

If you are going to offer advice to a new player, either put in a qualifier ("I think you can get one from 'X', let me or someone know if that does not work for you") OR understand the new player will assume it is broken if the wise sage advice turns out not exactly right, and I when I then try to help, they assume I am screwing with them.

"You jerk, I know he gives the book, I was told it by someone much more sure than you.  that's it, I give up"

so... unless you are really sure, perhaps help in a way that won't discourage?  that is my point.

and yes, they should be more patient... but I can not change their patience, can I?

over 500,000 accounts and less than 200 players at any one time.  I think we all want this to be successful.

and if you do not like my advice, ignore it.  I am not god, a parent of yours, or the leader of this game or forum.  It is advice, take it or not.

there, that is all, thanks for listening   :) I could make this more clear, perhaps, but if you care enough to read it, you will understand. and If you do not care, no amount of explaining will matter, so I will close this here. 

B->

screwballl

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 06:44:34 pm »
Just ran into this... apple, tin, sword... wait what? there should be a "qualifier" in order to get a specific quest... Harnquist should not ask if you want to learn to make swords if you have not completed the several others before it... thats my problem now, i accepted the sword quest and only now after reading this thread see that I got nailed because I did not know any better.
I had a friend offer me the book (he had an extra) but I declined because I would rather learn from doing it... but when there is a case like this, this needs to be in words "CAUTION: DO NOT ACCEPT ANY QUESTS EXCEPT THE APPLE, TIN AND (whatever one gives you the book)

AND now I cannot discard it because "it can only be done once"... so I am s*****d until someone gives me a book so i can finish the quest...... and the friend I mentioned will not be back online for at least 30-60 days
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:47:44 pm by screwballl »

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 06:51:31 pm »
Find me in-game and I will see what I can do to help you. I should be on in a couple of hours. PM me with your characters name.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 11:24:09 pm »
You could ask to borrow the book from someone, just long enough for you to progress in your quest. That is, if you really don't want to get the stocks from someone else.

It reminds me when I had to get a number of ulber parts. It took me a while to get them, bought from a hunting couple. But then... I couldn't carry them, eh eh.

screwballl

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 12:58:15 pm »
thanks for the help, I had someone in IRC help out and got that quest taken care of... then the next quest I did for Harnquist was the one needed to make the ignots and such...