Author Topic: PlaneShift and the future of it's "alpha testers"  (Read 1906 times)

Mhyrage

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneShift and the future of it's "alpha testers"
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 02:16:42 pm »
Hire employees to do what, exactly? :) We get everything done. The problem is we don't get it done as fast as commercial projects - and this isn't going to change unless we get a full-time development team, which is going to cost more than anyone can offer.

I'm really excited to hear that you're so fond of PS already - it's always a motivational boost. But the very goal of this project, ever since it began, was to make everything completely and entirely free. We can't change that :)

Hmm...You could hire a few devs/GMs/etc from a few more timezones so they'll be on most of the time though. Either way, just saying, I'm sure many people are willing to pay a bit if they had the option to. And there's always SOMETHING to invest in. @.@

Credit to whoever made the Fierce Deity image.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 02:21:04 pm »
Think about how weird would it be to say "We pay this guy but none of the others." I think keeping this a volunteer-based project would create less problems for both the teams and the community.

Either way, just saying, I'm sure many people are willing to pay a bit if they had the option to.

But they do :) The only catch is they'll have to do it from the goodness of their hearts.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

oningo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 02:39:02 pm »
Best way is i guess we get more techie people to play the game :) . so they fall in love and code for it :) . I tried with my friends but they work 18 hrs a day and need shut eye or are not into game engine stuff. they said they program other things, dunno whats the difference though cos i am  not techie. Anyhoo...i am sure if we all drop the word to other programmers we meet or know in real life and get them in game and help them understand the game and guide them a bit..they maybe a future dev and great asset tot he team and game ...ultimately making the game ...errr.....more 'kick ass'  :-[ . Anyway to complete what i said earlier  :) my techie friends hack and slash games maybe 30 mins on some days to release thier tress and they go back to proging..the thought od typing chats and rping makes them shudder  ;D . I guess thats cos they are in front of comp for 17-18 hrs a day in office i guess. But i am sure like our devs there are those that would love to do what our devs do...if only they knew the game existed. So lets spread the word and tell people we meet to tell others too..especially all you unversity and company guys in tech related fields...spread the word! Err..spread it so that we have more devs. Dont spread it just cos u want to know a future dev....thats not a nice way to think..although cool  :). Spread it to have the game get cooler faster  \\o//

Nurahk

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:12:54 pm »
Keep in mind, of course, that Talad is a very busy person.  As are all the devs.  Don't think that just because you can program you'll become a Dev and, as Venge has mentioned before, it's not the easiest programming you'll encounter.

Tell your techie friends about it but, be sure they love the game before they think about becoming a dev.

Bartholin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • May the azure sun always shine on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 10:48:59 pm »

Hmm...You could hire a few devs/GMs/etc from a few more timezones so they'll be on most of the time though.

Many people WANT to be gms/devs, however, some .. most arnt quallified for the job. God knows i want to be a gm, however, i do beleave that i lack certain skills needed for said job.

Also, the game runs well enough atm for 200-+ players to be addicted enough to log on 20+ times a day after crashes/restarts.

Also, if the game needed more donations, a post could be added to the forums, and like Dattbuyo(sp :) ) tons of ppl would jump on it.

And to the gms/devs/mods/creators.. This game is awsome, sure it has its kinks, and problems with bad players, however, it still kicks ass and should be outlawed it so good ;). Great work on it, and for patroling the game;s logs looking for touble makers. You all should be very proud of the work you have done, and We all wish you the best of luck for the future of the game.
(dont leave or you will be tracked down and... ;) ) Thanks for the awsome game that is free and fun.
* Bartholin Has fun making a Dust Army!
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ninjaps2/Planeshift/ {PS ss}
May the azure sun always shine on you and your path be pathed with gold. I will miss you all. Good bye.

Mhyrage

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 10:52:12 pm »

Hmm...You could hire a few devs/GMs/etc from a few more timezones so they'll be on most of the time though.

Many people WANT to be gms/devs, however, some .. most arnt quallified for the job. God knows i want to be a gm, however, i do beleave that i lack certain skills needed for said job.

Also, the game runs well enough atm for 200-+ players to be addicted enough to log on 20+ times a day after crashes/restarts.

Also, if the game needed more donations, a post could be added to the forums, and like Dattbuyo(sp :) ) tons of ppl would jump on it.

And to the gms/devs/mods/creators.. This game is awsome, sure it has its kinks, and problems with bad players, however, it still kicks ass and should be outlawed it so good ;). Great work on it, and for patroling the game;s logs looking for touble makers. You all should be very proud of the work you have done, and We all wish you the best of luck for the future of the game.
(dont leave or you will be tracked down and... ;) ) Thanks for the awsome game that is free and fun.

Hooray for the such an amazing game being free! I say this wins the post of the year award. Make him an honoray GM hehe. He'll learn how to do things from being allowed to do a few more things at a time. That way he won't make any major mistakes. xD...any jokes aside, very nice post. I would probably donate 5$ if they said they needed donations come to think of it. Much much better than 15 a month.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:19 pm »

We would never get enough donations to pay even one dev to work for us, even part time. We're talking thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars a year here.

Mhyrage

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 11:45:15 pm »

We would never get enough donations to pay even one dev to work for us, even part time. We're talking thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars a year here.

Pay them 5$ a day hehe. If they like the game enough they'll do it. Also, any word on whether there will be cloaks along with the capes?
I'd love to see an Assassin's Creed style cloak. Basically a less "wavy" more leathery cloak with arms, and actually somewhat tight.
Also for realism purposes, why can't chainmail be worn over leather?! Torn capes would be cool too. =P

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 11:51:52 pm »
Pay them 5$ a day hehe. If they like the game enough they'll do it.

If they liked the game, $5 a day wouldn't make any difference, they'd work on it regardless.

Mhyrage

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 12:14:23 am »
Pay them 5$ a day hehe. If they like the game enough they'll do it.

If they liked the game, $5 a day wouldn't make any difference, they'd work on it regardless.

True. They wouldn't have much time though. $5 a day would give the ones willing to devote more time into it some bread money. That's all they'd be eating for a good year or two. Only twice a day as well. It was a joke anyway hehe. I'm sure you've noticed. @.@

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 12:17:22 am »
Good artists don't work for less than what's minimum wage in most US states ;)

Besides, I did mention that we can't exactly pay only one or a few developers and not the entire team. That wouldn't be fair.

Bartholin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • May the azure sun always shine on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 05:15:45 pm »

I doubt that completly. If you said that the game needed money to survive.. amny ppl would hope up.. look inside thier wallets and run over to send a money order, or even cash.\
:) If you guys want a gm :) im willing. HA HA.. :) but really. ;)
* Bartholin Has fun making a Dust Army!
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ninjaps2/Planeshift/ {PS ss}
May the azure sun always shine on you and your path be pathed with gold. I will miss you all. Good bye.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 05:25:13 pm »
Taking donations in order to survive and paying for a full-time game developer are completely different. Even for a single part-time developer, the pay they'd need is in the thousands as Xordan said. I'm not studying game art just to "make do" in the future :)

I don't doubt the community's willingness and desire to help - but thinking that we all can jump up and turn our dev-team into a force comparable to that of commercial games is a bit much.

neko kyouran

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 07:27:14 pm »
ooh ooh.  If people want to give me money for my awesome forum moderating I won't stop them.   ;D

(that was a post made in joke btw.)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2007, 07:28:13 pm »
I made you a cookie.

But I ated it.

:(
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.