Author Topic: NPC Conversation Guide  (Read 2628 times)

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
NPC Conversation Guide
« on: September 11, 2007, 09:24:19 pm »
The usefulness of this guide is subject to change as the NPC conversational AI changes.

New Planeshift players should note that Planeshift, unlike the competition, really is a role-playing game. You are required to stay in character and the setting is allowed to be suspended only for reasons of technical aid. Interaction with NPCs is not constrained to a few generic questions or responses that can be selected from a  pop-up menu. The developers decided that to make the game experience intuitive and full of verisimilitude on every front, it was necessary to have players communicate with NPCs in a unique way: by typing in phrases and sentences, as you would communicate with other players. All communication with non-player characters in PS is done through typing phrases. MUDs have done it for years.

The following is a list of the phrases/questions that almost all of the game's current NPCs will answer to:

• Hello- NPCs interpret this as a greeting
  • What is your name?- NPCs tell you their names as well as a a brief introduction of themselves
  • Who are you?- NPCs tell you some information about themselves
  • What do you do?- NPCs tell you about their occupation
  • How are you- NPCs tell you how their personal business is going, and the reply is often related to the quest they have for you
  • I need a quest- NPCs reply by offering a quest if they have one
  • What do you sell?- NPCs tell you what kind of goods they sell if they are merchants
  • Give me a <item>- NPCs may give you a particular item (often at a price)
  • Where is the <place>- NPCs may give you where a particular place is located and how to get there
  • Goodbye- NPCs interpret this as a statement of leaving (note: this doesn't end the conversation with NPCs -- PS NPCs answer any question or statement in any order)

This list is absolutely not exhaustive. There are also many aliases. Instead of "hello" you could just as well say "hi", "greetings", "hail", or "salutations". Instead of "I need a quest" you can just as easily ask "can I help you?" Instead of "give me a sack" you could say "I need a sack" or "I want a sack". As the NPC conversation system becomes more advanced and articulate, NPCs will be able to provide accurate answers to complex sentences and even multiple sentences.

I hope this guide is a useful reference.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Conversation Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:49:51 pm »
What do you train? - NPC will tell you what they train and a non-numerical idea of what levels they train it, or will tell you he/she is not a trainer.

Tell me about x - receive more information about a given topic. NPCs are more likely to give information they've talked about in other blurbs (such as in their "what do you do") or general knowledge (such as what Hydlaa is) than about random things.