Author Topic: "Time to die!" /die being abused  (Read 12428 times)

Aiken

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: "Time to die!" /die being abused
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 06:35:30 pm »
If you penalize people for ending up in the death realm you are penalizing people for several reasons.

1. Wanting to train dark way.

2. Doing quests that involve doing thing in the death realm.  Either quests that take you there or any quests you get in DR.

3. Get stuck and find /unstick just moves you to another stuck position. If there are no gm around or the gm tells you to /die because they won't move you there is not much choice.

I think it is a bit much penalizing people for those 3 things. Especially point 3. Very rude for hitting someone with a penalty after getting caught by a bug and /die is the only way out.

At the moment my prefered solution would be to have the DR big enough that it takes > 1/2 hour to get out. Just over 1/2 hour from the fortress to oja compared to 2 minutes in DR. When you are in a quest that involves 3 hours of running + time dealing with the npc it is very tempting to shorten the running by 28 minutes and jump off the waterfall.
Beware the grue.

RIP

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 01:53:31 pm »
Quite honestly, my biggest complaint about it isn’t even the fact that it’s abused (it is and we all know it). How do you role-play a person killing themself in front of you? It has become so commonplace that it is just ignored. If you really feel the need to do the suicide/shortcut thing go find a secluded place where no other characters have to witness and ignore it. People killing themselves for no apparent reason in front of 12 other people at a mine would probably be cause for the mine to shut down for the day do to the excitement, it would not be ignored.

I think its kind of funny that the suicide rate in Yliakum is greater than its population. 

Tolol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 03:27:53 pm »
yay ...

and this is exactly what I always did ...

If I used DR-Express I always looked for a place to die in peace without anyone taking notice of it ...

Anumesa

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:35:20 pm »
Doesnt anyone avoid DR just because they think its scary??  :sweatdrop:

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 02:09:18 pm »
Killing oneself as a means of travel was a practice of some dark figures in the Riverworld.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

LlubNek

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 09:27:39 pm »
Cool! Somebody else actually read that book!  Was wondering when that would pop up...

In Riverworld though, there were consequences, and actually those same consequences kinda make sense for Planeshift... There's always a chance a consumer or other critter could find your body before it was disposed of...

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 06:30:46 pm »
Hmm, doesn't your body dematerialize or something like that when you die? Your body only needs disposing of when you die permanently through execution or old age. Right?

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 05:41:42 am »
Quote from: CVS
*** 2007-10-02 by Kenny Graunke
- Implement first cut at...the curse of the death realm!  Muahahaha.
  Let's just say that you'd best not use the DR as a shortcut anymore.

That's gonna be interesting.

A w a k e n!

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 02:20:06 pm »
I can only say that your character won't be mutilated, at least not permanently, and that you will not lose items, at least not all of them.  ;D

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 02:43:17 pm »
I hope the change did take into account the arguments given in this topic. (i.e., make the reward for the DR-involving quest better to make it worth doing).

Aiken

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 05:23:36 pm »
Will any changes be able to tell the difference between someone using dr as a shortcut and someone who has business in dr?
Beware the grue.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 05:29:10 pm »
People have business in DR? So people go round saying "sorry I have to go I have to commit suicide so I can deal with some buisness..."

You shouldn't really have "buisness" as such in the DR, unless you are trapped there.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:36:15 pm »
Death is Death.

Aiken

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 05:42:07 pm »
People have business in DR? So people go round saying "sorry I have to go I have to commit suicide so I can deal with some buisness..."

You shouldn't really have "buisness" as such in the DR, unless you are trapped there.

In that case any trainers should be moved out of DR, any quests that you get in DR should be removed and any quests that take you into DR to be completed should be changed.
Beware the grue.

monktbd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 08:13:26 am »
I can only say that your character won't be mutilated, at least not permanently, and that you will not lose items, at least not all of them.

A temporary degradation of stats/skills is perfectly fine and makes sense and is actually what I wish for. It is good to feel a bit groggy in such a case.
About items: I suspect it will be what you wore at the time of death. Now that can get a bit frustrating if it could happen to be a quest item (like helms, books in mind or glyphs) or crafted weapons, although losing items makes sense in the case of death. I hope that /unstick not working, no GM online and having to use /die will not make the frustration bigger.