Author Topic: controls have been nerfed?  (Read 1739 times)

bilbous

Re: controls have been nerfed?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 12:24:59 pm »
Hmm, Standing on the wall behind Harnquist ... Seems like a leetist thing to do as many people, especially newcomers will not be able to do it. Is it in character to do so? Possibly although Klyros are the only race that likes to perch as a rule (says so in their description) Enkidukai who act like Garfield or Sylvester the cat would seem to be taking the cat thing too much to heart. They may be cat-like in appearance but as there are specifically no cats in Yliakum there is little reason to overplay the cat tendencies.

If the getting stuck bug was easy to fix don't you think it would have been fixed? Besides all that I never said do not provoke a bug, all I said is that you should accept the consequences of your actions.

I want to climb down the crevice in front of the waterfall but when I try I am fully aware that I am likely to get stuck long before I reach the bottom and will have to /die. When I try it on the odd occasion and get stuck should I ask a GM to move me? Should he be bothered?

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 12:39:07 pm »
I want to climb down the crevice in front of the waterfall but when I try I am fully aware that I am likely to get stuck long before I reach the bottom and will have to /die. When I try it on the odd occasion and get stuck should I ask a GM to move me? Should he be bothered?

Can always use walktest in order to explore the region :)

Actually I don't think the collision detection system used IS cs's CD system. I think PS has their own.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 01:04:29 pm »
If you jump over the door at the bar, stumble and break your face on the barrel bung, this is ofcourse your own fault. But then I want to see me falling, not running in a wall. ;)

But I still don't understand your intentions. You make me feel guilty for suffering from a bug. And you even make me feel guilty for suggesting a possible solution (or at least another approach to one). Why?

When you try to climb down the crevice, you should not get stuck. You should instead slide down the wall; if you slide too fast - or even fall free - you will get hurt. I am pretty sure the developers would prefer it this way too.

And I agree that a GM will not rescue you out there. If at all, he may teleport you to the Death Realm -- because the "sticky wall" bug only detained you from falling down and dying...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

bilbous

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:01 pm »
You want to play a bartender that is fine with me, set aside a section of your guild house as the bar and leave your bartender character there. Since he will not ever leave he can give his key to someone else after he enters. If you want to play a bartender in one of the established bars, well the owners won't stop you ... but if I owned the place I wouldn't want the competition muscling in my space.

I am not trying to make you feel guilty, I just do not see why you have to keep jumping behind the bar. If that character wants to go do other things, I guess that is where your problems come from.

My words may sound harsh but it is not my intention, just my phrasing.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 02:32:07 pm »
I only took the easiest example under which circumstances you could end up running into a wall.

If you prefer more complicated reasons when and why even you would run or jump against something ... uhm, give me a week or so, to find one... But that doesn't matter. If developers want to fix this bug, they need a reliable way to reproduce it. They don't need an IC reason to behave so.

I'm only looking from the technical side of this issue. You instead seem to prefer the roleplaying side. But bugs are technical issues. Solving them is a question of "how do they occur due to the code", not "why would anyone do it".

Furthermore, that I happily took the bartender job a year ago, doesn't mean that I still do. But there are still more reasons to jump. And if it is only to climb e.g. the wide ladders of the watch towers. Or to jump onto a pile of boxes or onto a plateau and shout. Or to pass the pipes in the sewers. Or to get to the backside half of the Akkaio warehouse. Or just to have fun.

Do you have fun too? Do you sometimes jump? - Probably yes, according to the fact that you can climb the plaza wall near Harnquist. Are you just afraid that fixing this bug would disable you climbing it?

Sorry... :flowers: It may sound more offensive than I mean it.

__

P.S.: Exploring the ranges ... isn't it just human? Isn't it the spirit of exploring? I am software developer, I love exploring my ranges of abilities. Also I love to explore the ranges of a game. If you don't explore, you don't find bugs to be fixed ... before they are needed when old ranges get removed one day, by new features.

The older bugs are, the harder they are to fix. Better discover them early.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:45:01 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

bilbous

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 12:15:05 am »
I guess what I am trying to say is that indeed this is a pretty old problem and that while it does not hurt to bring it up now and again, I think it will be something we will have to live with for some time more.

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 09:07:26 am »
bilbous, I acknowledge the truth of what you say - in all likelyhood, we'll probably have to put up with awkward collision situations for some time yet. But personally I'm with LigH on this one - just because it's a longstanding issue doesn't mean we should be complacent and accept it.

Personally, I really enjoy the "sticky wall" glitch. Two of my favorite in-game hobbies are "rock-climbing" to places I probably shouldn't be, and taking agitated wildlife base-jumping (without the parachute). But as much fun as this glitch is, I know it's something I probably shouldn't be able to do - at least, not in the manner I've been doing it.

Also... what is so very hard about hitting the autorun toggle again to stop? Seriously - it doesn't take any more effort than hitting the "forward" key to end it, and without the glitch involved. Which is not to say the keystroke bug should not be fixed...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 09:39:07 am »
Also... what is so very hard about hitting the autorun toggle again to stop?
Sometimes people are just looking into the wrong direction, especially the more often the harder they look... :D

Pressing AutoRun a second time to toggle it off is pretty logical. -- Instead, pressing it two times anew (when you ran "manually" instead of automatically), is a solution you may not get, but you could beat yourself after you are told that it works. It is one of the solutions which are "too simple to discover". ;)

Did you ever find the solution of a "hard" problem right before going to bed, or in the middle of the night? A maths prof, giving lessons in "heuristics", called it "the most important rule: thinking out of bounds". It is one of the hardest lessons, and rarest gifts.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador