Author Topic: Guilds and Roleplay  (Read 2199 times)

Phinehas

Re: Guilds and Roleplay
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 01:05:16 pm »
Hello? Did you read this conversation?

They just got finished pointing out that the guild system should change to allow general organizations and then let guilds be actual guilds.

Oh i do read the conversation...but perhaps I shouldn't have commented. Forgive my intrusion.

If you don't like the goals....i assume that means RP-heavy huh? Personally, I think that we have forgotten the medieval intention of a guild and in order to properly RP it, you need to have a crash course in what they are.

That meant not using the game as a random chatroom and not disrupting the atmosphere of those who do want to roleplay by OOC talks in main chat. If you think that's heavy well that's your right, of course.

As for the guild thing, maybe you would have noticed that there are people who agree with what you said .. including me .. if you had read the rest of the thread instead of just my last, touchy remark. :P

Yeah... pretty much.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 01:16:31 pm »
Nothing wrong with commenting at all, it just came over like you were basing your comment on a single post, not the rest of the thread .. now let's all shake hands and get back on topic here. :P

It would definitely be very nice if Guilds actually became what they used to be in medieval times. Exclusive, powerful and specifically oriented.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Phinehas

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 01:22:47 pm »
Nothing wrong with commenting at all, it just came over like you were basing your comment on a single post, not the rest of the thread .. now let's all shake hands and get back on topic here. :P

It would definitely be very nice if Guilds actually became what they used to be in medieval times. Exclusive, powerful and specifically oriented.
I'm not shaking hands with anyone...

But I agree, guilds should be guilds... but there should still be room for organizations.

I think they should implement my original ideas for Vaalnor. Basically the idea that while guilds aren't limited to merchant guilds only or some such rot, but there are specific, official, government-acknowledged guilds that have a corner on their specific areas, whether that be fighting/mercenary, merchant, magic, or whatever. Then there can be other organizations with specific goals and what-not, but not the same as an official guild.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 01:34:03 pm »
Hmm, perhaps the Devs could mix the current faction system with a new guild system? I get the idea that the factions are going to become what some of us would like to see with the Guilds. By the way I definitely agree that there should be room for other organisations. So far I still like UtM's idea the most.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

bilbous

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2007, 01:38:11 pm »
Now that they have guild houses, although not enough for all, they should definitely consider removing the guild chat tab as presumably if you want to chat with your guild mates you can hang out at the guild house. This wireless text messaging across the realm is rather unrealistic. I expect this would not be popular.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2007, 01:43:11 pm »
There needs to be a way to make up for that time that is spent off line and the faster passing of time in game though.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2007, 02:34:54 pm »
3) have this governing body allow the guild petition to go through as long as it meets certain criteria.

*Listbard locks his door from the nicely dressed people with their literature of light.*

ahem I agree with neko, despite his.... Unknown pun that I have to point out.

You know if guilds were harder to make, and REQUIRED to provide a small entry for a game master to look over, and approve. (IE: proof that this guild fits into game settings, and is proper RP) Not only would we have fewer guilds (which imo, is a good thing, really we have a lot of guilds that are pretty much the same) but also those guilds would be easier to monitor.

After all its easier to keep track of a few guilds, then a lot. I do admit the situation has gotten better, I remember when it seemed everyone had their own little guild running around. But the main issue now is I see, that like xillix has mentioned time and time again, guilds often fall out of game settings, and their names leave you asking "wtf does that mean?"

I think many issues would be cleaned up if we:

1. Force EVERY character to take the tutorial at least once, there are many players who had characters before the tutorial was created, and such players need reeducating!

2. Make it harder to found a guild. Increase characters required, make it more expensive, insert taxes onto these guilds to make sure they stay active! (or if they don't, that they get disbanded.

3. Game masters should monitor guilds to make sure they are staying within character and game settings. I could name many guilds that are active, and all that lot, but they are known for members that speak oocly, and seem to have never heard about planeshift's game settings. This kind goes along with point 1....

Ravenguard

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Stupid Demons
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 03:03:07 pm »
Really though, getting true merchant and supplier guilds (at least to me) look a little tough.  Basic supplier groups are the most difficult.  People'd rather kill things or be a blacksmith than a miner or metallurgist.
I've been throwing ideas around for a miners/metallurgists (maybe even blacksmiths in there too) guild in order to deal with the economics of metals and such.  I like steadiness, and the giant fluctuations of prices bother me.  That's moot and for another thread.
There are a few people who think I've got the idea, but more than not, people just argue with me that trying to influence metal markets is a dumb idea, or that it can't be done, etc., so I haven't done it yet.  Maybe I'll try it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:02:55 pm by Ravenguard »

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 05:21:33 pm »

I like the idea of that. There should be some kind of hierarchy when it comes to guilds like in ideas mentioned before. Right now our guilds really have little influence on the world around us as well as our characters. Sure there are things we do influence and historys that happen because of our existence but at the same time we are not nearly as influential to the game as the NCPs and characters used in gm events. If thats what the game is aiming at then they are doing well.

My own opinion though is that while you may not be able to influence the world much as an individual there should be strong guilds that do. Being a strong guild shouldn't all just be about numbers either. It should be about the strength and influence of the individual, of the people in ones alliances, and the influence on has on the NCP's of the world (factions). Whether you be a guild, house, cult, or any other IC group it should be a combination of those things that make guilds strong and influential in the world of ps.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens