Author Topic: Tip to save memory  (Read 7573 times)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Tip to save memory
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:03:38 am »
Hey,

If your PC is low on ram (<512mb) I suggest that you turn off sound (in pssetup). This makes the client use about 100mb less memory on average, which might give you a significant performance boost, especially when loading maps.
We're working on a new sound plugin which will get rid of this high usage, but until that gets finished this might be a good option :)

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tip to save memory
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 08:29:12 am »
for windows users:

make a *.reg file and edit it with this entry:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"AlwaysUnloadDll"=dword:00000001

windows doesnt unload automatically .dll's this small fix will free up some memory  :P

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:42:29 am »
I occasionally start hearing clicks in the sound (exactly like what you get with a badly scratched cd in a regular cd player)

Also once in DR the sound woulf play for 1 second the pause for 1 second then play then pause continuously.

I have 1gb of ram and I have this computer set up as a recording studio so the sound card is capable of dealing with just about anything.

Any suggestions?
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

SlanePhift

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:28:05 pm »
I run this game off an older laptop 1.86GHz w/512MB-RAM.  I can't wait to try out this tip about shutting off the sound.  To be honest most of the time I have the system muted.
When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.
            Not like the other people in the car he was driving.

Heleckie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:59:04 pm »
I am sorry if I am in the wrong thread or if this has already been answered somewhere else but I havent been able to find it.

I have just tried to log in to PS and received a message that says "You are not running the correct version of PS.  Please launch the update."

I am using a mac and do not how to do this.  I have gone into Planeshift and cannot find anything that will allow me to update.  Do I need to de install and then  re install PS?

Heleckie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:00:45 am »
I am sorry I seem to have posted my question above in the wrong thread.  Please move it if you can.  I am not very good on forums

kungfoofairy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:43:06 am »
I have just tried to log in to PS and received a message that says "You are not running the correct version of PS.  Please launch the update."

I get the same message. According to http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/ and http://laanx.fragnetics.com/ there isn't anyone connected to Ez and only a dozen or so on Laanx, so I'm guessing the servers are down for testing/maintenance/upgrade.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 02:56:53 am »
When a new version is being released, it is usually not immediately available via upgrade (especially not as upgrade from the old version). You will have to download the whole new installer package.

The client seems not able to tell apart a "minor update with new network version" from a "major upgrade to a whole new version", it always displays the suggestion with the updater - no matter it if really is the recommended solution.
__

I read in the german community that it may be possible to update from 0.5 RC2 about during the same time as the installers for the (not really...) final release become public.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:06:09 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty