Author Topic: Numerous Character Description Ideas  (Read 1386 times)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Numerous Character Description Ideas
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:01:57 pm »
Instead of custom character descriptions being nothing but open space, they should have fields to fill out. They'd be as descriptive as possible, fields you wouldn't have or fields people won't see on your character (say if they're wearing a hood or mask) could be left blank, and won't show on your character's description.

Of course, I imagine it may be overlooked, and even though the fields aren't filled out, they'd show up something as "Eye Color: [blank]"...don't do that. Just make it so it'll be invisible. :P

I imagine something like this has been suggested in the past, if so just lock it or do what you need to do.

It could be fashioned something like the fan-fanart section's rules, having all of those appearances, then a character history, personality, and an extra field for things that might not be included in the description fields. This would limit people writing huge freaking stories in their descriptions, and actually have them used for what people want them to be used for.

As for these straight-out-of-character-creation-fields already filled in from the start, they'd go under your character's history, and can easily be erased as they are now.

As for the name being included in descriptions...don't do that. :P

Going along with the introduction system, having a "Name" field won't be so bad. It would be hidden from someone (along with your label) until introducing yourself to that person. If you have your name mentioned anywhere in your description, it would be replaced with your race and gender.

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Numerous Character Description Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:13:05 pm »
I like this idea, a lot... Old post though, and no one has replied...

I'd like to hear what the staff thinks of this.

Erisnas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:23:22 pm »
Definitely a good idea, if anything it would tell people what they should include in their own more in depth descriptions.

spinole

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:27:34 am »
Maybe the player can "turn off" their name in the description, just to the player who want to be cool & mysterious..
For those who love fortune and fame... Turn it on!

Good idea, ey?  :thumbup:

lurkmost

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:10:46 pm »
I think I like this idea.
If done right, the player would be able to name "points of interest" in the description field.

These "points of interest" would be closed tabs or buttons that open up a more descriptive part of the character.

So, either after or within the normal description, a player could name a tab "staff", or something.
 Clicking staff in the description would allow that player to give a detailed description of that staff.
This is something that gives the player a bit more detail on the way they would like to describe their character without bogging down other players with storybook quality details by just looking at them.

So, a player could write a short description, and also craft a long description in anyway they would like.
Take what you want from my post as your own, critique it, improve it,  and feel free to use it.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:28 am »
Yup, I like this idea too. I think that after the character creation one should be requested to fill his own description. I would also remove the information that is currently added by default (since it makes no sense for people to know your background as they look at you.)
The way I see it, it would include a small hint about creating descriptions and then it'd be up to people to create their own. As we get better items provided by the system, I think the need to add inventory in the description will be gone and this description would be more about the physical characteristics a character has that makes them differ from others (scars, colour, etc.)
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 04:43:40 pm »
After Tutorial, I'd say.

As long as it doesn't become too tedious and the player can still write the lion's share of their description, I'm fine.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.