Author Topic: Now Recruiting  (Read 5157 times)

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
Re: Now Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:31:20 pm »
Game Master team also needs more applicants so if over 21 pm me if interested
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 01:14:19 pm »
I still haven't heard a good reason for the "You-must-be-21-to-be-a-GM" rule. Mordraugion, could you explain?
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 01:36:56 pm »
It was decided that due to some of the issues we have to deal with IG that a certain amount of life experience and maturity was needed along with a possibility that legal maturity may be an advantage.

Now before all the under 21's start shouting about how age has nothing to do with maturity, that is only true to a certain extent.
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

Velh Krome

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 01:48:15 pm »
Although I wouldnt hesitate to vote for Earl and Donari, only to mention two, I assume those ones are exceptions that prove the rule.
So take it the positive side: Those same ones will be fun rping ingame with us for way longer now;)

*pats his head "Not Donari .."*
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 02:14:14 pm by Velh Krome »

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 04:55:23 am »
Alright discuss .. welll lets see.

First of all, I wonder what would be expected from these Volunteers if they do think about joining? How many hours a day, or week should they be willing to invest in their tasks? Are they expected to attend meetings? If so, how often? Do they work under 'bosses' or can they pick a preferred area to work on? Are there deadlines to be made regularly or very rarely? ... oh and do they get a dental plan? :P

Personally I'd only be suited for Settings but since they're nicely staffed at the moment, I think it might be more useful if I keep contributing in the way I am. By throwing my ideas on these forums and encouraging roleplay with the settings in-game.

As for the GM team ... let me know when you need event masters who don't have to spend months proving themselves until they're allowed to work with the useful event command :P Then I'm in, assuming I still get time to work on my player projects.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 06:58:33 am »
@ Zan as for the GM team the only requirement is a minimum 6 hours a week online, if you pass Talads interview and he approves you as a GM4 there is no testing period to obtain the /event command, but apart from enabling one to register and reward Players it has very little use other commands like /morph /impersonate are much more useful.

Perks I hear you ask, well you get a really cool Maxed char with loads stuff not always available to the Players but of course you are not allowed to be visible unless needed nor to roleplay with that char.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:01:12 am by Mordraugion »
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

Zan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 07:33:16 am »
6 hours a week online with your GM account, I take it? And I was thinking about the /impersonate, /teleport, /morph, /weather, ... commands. Thought most of them were still for the higher GM levels?

My problem is I'm very interested in encouraging roleplay on Planeshift through events, though I'd much rather step away from the whole /event thing and just make the world dynamic, the NPCs 'alive' and give the players the feeling they're not just interacting with computers. I'm not certain what you guys need on the team though, policing, testing or RPing?
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 07:40:22 am »
No gm [gm lvls] has control over weather at this time. All weather commands are gm5+ and gms are gm1-4

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 08:36:36 am »
*ahem* back on track people

The GMS can do their recruiting drive another time ;)

Zan are you absolutely sure you couldn't contribute to the PlaneShift Team in any other way than settings? You could always work for another department, but lend your opinions to the settings team; something that is easier to do once on the team than merely being a bystander. 

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:54 am »
* Mordraugion pokes Liadan with a quote
Planeshift is accepting volunteers for all departments, discuss.

We are a department too and I nearly had him hooked :p
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 09:03:08 am »
* Liadan pokes Mordraugion with another quote

I only want to make it clear that we are perpetually actively seeking talent. Someone suggested that we need to make it more clear that this is so.

Right now settings is doing well, but still always looking.

Engine could use more people.

Art definitely needs more people.

PR definitely needs more people.

Music definitely needs more people.

If you have talent, patience, and a good work ethic we will even spent some time training you to be better at any of the above. Right now the key factor is presence and time to dedicate. PS does not happen by magic, it happens through hard work and dedication.

yes, but you're not part of the departments that are listed as hiring. Unlike the above, GMs really are self-advertising.

Velh Krome

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 09:12:14 am »
Self-advertising or not - A GM of the style Zan described in his last post surely would be a very welcome as well as quite needed addition. Coding and setting here and there, all fine with it, but one as capable as him sneaking around to improve atmosphere and the main aspect of the game .. who could decline?=P

Zan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 09:21:03 am »
Yesss .. fight my pretties, fight!
* Zan laughs with wicked amusement while the different departments squabble over him.

Ok, I'm done :P

Liadan, I don't know the least about coding, my artistic skills are reduced to photography and to a minor degree writing and public relations .. well that doesn't really appeal to me to be honest. So I'm afraid the only use I could be is on Settings or a GM.

Which leads me to another question ... how close do GMs work with the settings team?
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 09:28:10 am »
If we're self advertising then why are we so short of GM's?

Admittedly our appointment system is long winded but we have had less than a tenth of the applications that settings have had in the same period.

We currently have 4-5 regularly active gms to cover a 168 hour week that makes a min of 33 hours a week online each added to that is the fact we are all GMT or there abouts so arguably we have more need for recruits than any other dept.
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

Phinehas

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:28 am »
Don't do it Zan... Don't give up your lovely RP just to become one of "them." I know you have good intentions, but don't let your blind desire to help mislead you... Beware! Bewaaaaaaare!