Author Topic: Team Adraax:Official City Design Contest  (Read 13651 times)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Team Adraax:Official City Design Contest
« Reply #120 on: February 29, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »
Each house, except in the landing platforms, has a connection to the large cave that acts as the city's water supply. The landing platforms are supplied through several wells.
There are no tunels in the LP quarter. They have no connection to the rest of city tunels, which reach the lake. They don't connect, because they don't exist, thats the simplest explanation. Klyros are no dwarves ;) I think the other two quarters has so called tunnels, because they were there in this or other form already.

Anyway, even if you draw tunnels, they can't have connection to other quarters ;P

There are only wells in LP quarter. No tunels ;)

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 29, 2008, 10:09:38 pm »
The lines that are under the landing platforms are pipes that feed the wells. They cannot be entered.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2008, 05:39:24 am »
Oh yeah, i didn't read legend. Btw, you cut off a bit too much of it ! :detective: I was trying to find out what exactly it is.
Not to offend, but only for the sake of sense and consistency, you are still wrong.
But when i know what is what on the map, i will write something deeper and better explaining. After all it is very "rough beginning" ;)

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
I think it would work better to extend the reservoir and simply have vertical wells. The only reason I can think of for pipes is that the burial well is in the landing platforms, so bodies too near the reservoir would contaminate the water supply.  :) Sorry for cutting a bit off. I wa hurring an mae a mstake.  ;D Any other problems?

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2008, 07:18:02 pm »
Hey guys

Got bored. Here's one of the points of interests in the shape of a shell, the University of Amdeneir. I didn't think Zweitholou's first sketch was complete so I included my  own thoughts. A cupola has been built in the middle perhaps for greenhouses or a better ambience. Again, all done in Photoshop 7. The crossed circles are the towers.

Edit: Noticed some lines overcrossing each other. Will be editing that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 07:22:07 pm by Baldur »

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2008, 11:54:56 am »
@ baldur
I like this design a lot.
Maybe the glass panels on the cupola in the middle could act as sun pipes (or light tubes - i think both words can be used). They basically work by taking light from outside, intensifying it by using mirrors etc, and then using it as an interiour light source. This is the best image i could find:

Obviously it would have to be adapted to suit the dome. It could then be used to light the other rooms in the university. On the other hand, it may just be better (and simpler) to keep the dome as it is and stick a library underneath it or something.

:)
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2008, 01:20:05 pm »
Good ideas, rast :)

I'd say, now when the plan is practically finished, the points of interests should be focused upon because. I'm sure everyone realizes this but just as a precaution I repeat this due to the miscellaneous building planning presently. We've had several well put together examples of Klyros/Klyros-Ylian architexture styles from Zweitholou and Nikodemus. These are to be taken into consideration during the planning process.

I myself am considering on focusing on the Hospital of Talad so if anyone wants to take the Tavern, be my guest :)

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2008, 02:07:46 pm »
If no one objects, I will.  :)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2008, 04:54:01 pm »
Each house, except in the landing platforms, has a connection to the large cave that acts as the city's water supply. The landing platforms are supplied through several wells.
ok, i quote again for smplicity.
Someone has to nitpick ;P I assume it will come out good at the end of the phase.

Anyway.
1. There is no underground water cave in LP quarter. If there was one, i'm sure they would connect to it with tunnels, just like they did in other quarters.
2. There is only one cave underneath the city, so no way there is another under the LP quarter.
3. Pipes, if there is no cave, there is no real way of putting them there, unless Talad did ;P even if there was a cave, from which the holes for the pipes could be digged, there is again no way they would the pipes, which digging the wells, unless they have GPS or something.
4. Wells don't need some kind of pipes to have water in their bottom. :] You eighter drill, dig or force the soil on the sides. Once you reach the water providing sand-layer, you stop digging, or you have to dig another well, or dig deeper to find another layer. If you dig through the layer, the water gains are miserable. A lot wrote, but conclussion is, a horizontal pipe at the end of a well doesnt make sense at all.
Also, there are several wells in the LP quarter. I wouldn't expect them inside houses, just somewhere on squares, near roads.
5. defence towers tunels. Sure, they are part of the defence. Maybe they didn't even dig the underground, but digged it from ground level 3m deep and then put a roof and covered with 1m dee soil layer.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2008, 11:33:56 am »
Also great progress here folks. You should be moving toward an agreement about what you intend to submit for approval from the team. Good work!

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2008, 06:45:44 pm »
Thanks Xillix. It's only a matter of time.  :)

ok, i quote again for smplicity.
Nikodemus, I interpret that statement to mean that the Aquifer supplies the whole city. However, it can only be accessed individually by Upper and Lower residents. The landing platforms have community wells that are connected to the aquifer. They cannot enter the aquifer through these wells, but they do get water from it. Let me explain what I meant. Here are two more pictures:

Anyway.
1. There is no underground water cave in LP quarter. If there was one, I'm sure they would connect to it with tunnels, just like they did in other quarters.
I think the reason for not putting tunnels in the landing platforms is the expense, not the lack of water. Unless it is specifically stated in the text and i missed it (it's happened before), I think that the placement is up to us.

2. There is only one cave underneath the city, so no way there is another under the LP quarter.
Explained in the diagram above. There is only one cave, but the ceiling of the cave is uneven, so only pockets of air remain (openings), giving the appearance of many caves.

3. Pipes, if there is no cave, there is no real way of putting them there, unless Talad did ;P even if there was a cave, from which the holes for the pipes could be dug, there is again no way they would the pipes, which digging the wells, unless they have GPS or something.
You're right. I fixed it.

4. Wells don't need some kind of pipes to have water in their bottom. :] You either drill, dig or force the soil on the sides. Once you reach the water providing sand-layer, you stop digging, or you have to dig another well, or dig deeper to find another layer. If you dig through the layer, the water gains are miserable. A lot wrote, but conclusion is, a horizontal pipe at the end of a well doesn't make sense at all.
Also, there are several wells in the LP quarter. I wouldn't expect them inside houses, just somewhere on squares, near roads.
If it is unclear in the map, I meant for the wells to be in public places, such as on street corners. The houses are built on either side of them.

5. defense towers tunnels. Sure, they are part of the defense. Maybe they didn't even dig the underground, but dug it from ground level 3m deep and then put a roof and covered with 1m deep soil layer.
Originally, I only meant the line around the city to help give an idea of where everything is. However, the tunnels under the walls might be a good idea, as long as they don't undermine the walls.

Baldur, I like your university, but I am a little confused. Where is the entrance? A perspective view would help, I think. The glass cupola in the middle is a good idea, especially since Klyros like shiny surfaces.

Rast, the pipes are a good idea. They could be used as an alternative to magical lighting or torches.

I will soon post the layout, level by level, for the tavern. I'm almost done, but I need to add finishing touches.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2008, 07:51:11 pm »
This map looks quite good.
I was thinking that in LP quarter wells are on streets, because everyone needs water, even these people in tents and shacks, so if wells was public, available at squares, the wouldn't have problems getting water.

so big water cave may be a little unusual (if something i would like it to be not so deep, maybe 5m max below the city - stairs are annoying to run through and they eat many triangles ;P ). In theory we would have to model it, in case someone wanted to play swimmer who can breathe underwater...
If for a change we made a complex of caves, which are all connected by water through sand layers/thin unaccessable tunels (so they could be called one cave maybe?), made like a river shape cave with collumns, I think it would be more interesting. I'm guessing the same way rivers flows o the Yliakum levels survaces, water is flowing the same way in many places inside the stalactite and we have an example there.
And wells can be standard wells. It is first time i hear someone would dig a well reaching some cave lake. digging well, you rather look for water inside sand layer, it just would make more sense with what i said.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:08 pm »
I think we have the same idea but are describing it differently.  \\o//
The distances on the diagram aren't accurate. I was just trying to demonstrate my idea. Most of the area below the level that the map is drawn on would be saturated sand layers. And it wouldn't have to be stairs. Probably, it would be better to have tunnels on a slope without stairs.
The wells are public. They look like they aren't, but that is because I added contrast and brightness and some lines got smudged together.
The wells are not inside the houses. I did put wells in the warehouses because these, I thought, would be somewhat public, and the goujahs would need a place to get water from. The slums are less wealthy and therefore are further from wells.
I agree with all that you have said save for the artesian wells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artesian_aquifer) which go down to the aquifer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquifer). The openings will have water above the sand layers for swimming. I think they should look like this: http://www.aquarticles.com/images/China3a/p46.jpg. Thx for answering!  :)

Still working on the tavern.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2008, 04:46:24 am »
@Zwei, me too. I seem a bit uninspired. I've created a simple plan for the Talad temple, but just that for now.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2008, 05:04:24 pm »
Here's what I have so far...