Author Topic: Hydlaa Marketplace  (Read 3654 times)

Aturon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Hydlaa Marketplace
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 07:35:21 am »
/my faces turns green: "A klyros fish bar? "

Suddenly Zwenze runs holding his hand before his mouth

Ah, i see you already got your healthy green color, as all klyros do when they get hungry. didnt realize dwarfs do the same. but why did you run in the opposite direction? the fish i prepared 6 weeks ago is here, not over there... ^_^

~~ OOC ~~

1st of all, sorry for the late response. was quite a busy time at work the last few days and i had not much time to sit on the pc

The idea i had in mind is, that every merchan has a Book placed beside his market stand with a list of items and prices written to it, wich can be read by the customers. i also would recommend to decorate it a bit with a few cheap items to display i.e. if you sell weapons, drop some simple swords, axes etc. pp. (so it wont hurt when you or the server crashes for some reason and it's gone).

where and how you display your goods is up to you, but i would recommend to keep the market stands close together, so it wont spread to much all over the plaza. i had the area around the fountain in mind, would be more than enough space for quite a lot of merchants.

Quote from: potatoehead64
It's a great idea, however, I always seem to get lag in that area and in Hydlaa in general, so I only go there if I absolutely have to.
Does anyone else get this?
Hmmm... not that i'm aware of. i dont have more lag at the plaza than any other place. the only thing i noticed is the improved performance since the 0.4 version (thanks to the devs to get rid of the grass again. it was a pain in the a** for most players :D)

Quote from: Deprah
This sounds pretty much like what we hosted two months ago.
Big market, a scheduled time and loads of people, plus attractions, entertainment and whatnot (the only reason why Call of Destiny didn't host more is that some of the big blocks are having internet issues).
So for a start, I of course agree with your views and support the idea emphatically ^_^'
Hmmm... havent heard of that event. but maybe a forum search would have helped (wich i didnt do). damn, i thought i had a unique idea once and now it turned out that already two other groups had the same just before :/

well, i hope it turns out to be fun and i also hope it will be a success, so it wont be a one-time-only-event, but also becomes more like a regular event.

Hope to see as many of you as possible tomorrow evening and i wish all of you to have a lot of fun.

Regards,

Aturon
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 07:37:55 am by Aturon »

saladasalad

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 07:46:14 am »
How bad is the lag in a guildhouse?

I get hardly any lag in guildhouses since steel blue, it was really bad in CB though.
Artisian Hooke  -  Guild Elder in The Organisation.
Alumolo Genare.
Divire Dighur.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People

pseudoprometheus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 07:00:26 pm »
Now that the last merchant has packed up his goods and left the plaza (that sleepy Aturon ...), I have to say that I really enjoyed the marketplace.  It's such a nice change of pace for Hydlaa, especially in light of the latest mad rush to the platinum mines, leaving Yliakum's largest city relatively barren.  That and I noticed that many people were getting major bargains on high-end goods and weapons ... which makes me suspicious of collusion among the regular Yliakum merchants.   ;)  Hopefully the marketplace becomes a regular thing.  Hopefully!

[OOC:  This isn't strictly related to the marketplace idea, but I was talking with someone in the plaza after the merchants had left and we touched on perhaps having the devs create some kind of feature to accommodate large crowds so that those on slower machines can participate.  I was thinking of perhaps a more tighter form of the adaptive camera, with lower poly counts for characters the farther away they are from the viewer.  (If it's possible to implement something like that.)  It might be inconvenient if you're trying to look at someone on the other side of the crowd, but I would imagine that a person would have a hard time doing that IRL anyway.  I would imagine that once the player density in an area reached a certain point, the 'crowd camera' would switch on for those who have it toggled on in their prefs.  Just an idea, and probably one that wouldn't be implemented until much later, but it'd be useful with bringing in players with lower-end computers if it does.  (Oh, and forgive me if this isn't a totally original idea.  I'll admit that I didn't search the forums before typing all this out.) ]

But yes, nice market day everyone!  I feel inspired to do something more proactive next Sunday ... hmm, but what to do ... I'll have to come up with something.  :)

Edit:  [Oh, and something I'd love to see in Hydlaa during the next market day in case anyone wants to capitalize on the idea:  the dwarven beer garden that was mentioned earlier in the thread.  I really don't think it would be that difficult to pull off.  Mark off a reasonably-sized square with potted plants and decorative beer kegs in between, for the 'beer garden' area.  Provide telfusang hides (or whatever other hides would work) as sitting places, grouped around small tables.  Have a matron selling beer.  There you do, instant beer garden!  It'd take some work, and certainly more than one person, but there are a few dwarven guilds that could easily pull this off.  Perhaps as a guild fundraising attempt?  It might also be a little server-intensive, but so worth it if one could get a screenshot of it being used.  Hope to see this done.  :D ]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:48:01 pm by pseudoprometheus »

Zwenze

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 09:31:33 pm »
Ok, here are a few of my after tought:

Fund raising: No. The market can be used to gain tria, but that was never the idea. Digging platinum would make us faster rich then the best beer garden you can think of. It is more about presenting a guild and having a nice time together. The market day is not a mean to gain tria and its not a failure if one only made a hand full of tria.

Lag: How about trying out the kran tavern in the gugrontid next time? Or the octarchial residency. The octarchial residency would have the additional plus, that the collision detection there works. The plaza is a nice place for this, but it has one big disadvantage: The lag is worst there.

Next market day: I think a market day each sunday is by far to much. How about first sunday each month?

I think compared to traditional auctions this was funny and i think this will happen again. Our guild has learned a bit and expect us next time to approach this a bit different  :) I hope next time there will be more visitors and more exhibitors/merchants/cooks/whatevers. This is THE CHANCE to rp your char!

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 10:48:26 pm »
If we're concerned about lag, then what's wrong with Akkaio?  It's like totally lacking in...uhmm, something.

Meredee

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 09:08:11 am »
It was really nice to see that plaza "lives"! Too bad that I didnt manage to open my own small stand as I planned too. I wanted to sell some hunted goods like ulbernaut furs and such, but suprisignly I hadnt found any ulbernauts! [ok, I found some, but they were impervious:( ]

By the way, Ive heard that we have some merchant guilds around Hydlaa... How come that I coldnt see any of their stands? Or maybe they came up after I left?
If you never try, you'll never know.

sgtkwol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 06:01:49 pm »
I tried to show up, but the closer I got to the plaza, the slower I went.  I'm stuck on my laptop, for now, but hopefully when I get my new desktop motherboard, I should be all set.

maui

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 03:23:44 am »
i would like to visit the marketplace but i wasn't, so i would know if it come another time i red the first sunday of the month ...i hope so
and to sell something how to do it?
i think that u can gain a lot of cash with platinium or other metals but with the market we can create a new way like you can sell as well your skill for little time (like i borrow you my skill of digging i go dig for you and then you can pay me like a crafman with is activity)
could be that a wizard need a miners or viceversa so they can trade for the skill they got... :lol:
i hope to be easy to understand my thinking

Aturon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 05:49:13 am »
uh, yes. the market was realy nice.

but somehow people dont seem to like klyros food as much as i do. most of them made a big turn when they came near my snackbar. i simply dont understand why, my fish smelled so appetizing, i almost could not hold back myself from eating them.

at least a few customers where absolutely satisfied with the meals i prepared for them and i hope the news will spread and they will convince others to try the finest klyros food of yliakum.

later in the evening, when it got a little bit more silent at the market i seem to fell asleep right on my table. seems i got one or two beer to much.

regards

aturon

~~ OOC ~~
[well, i made not much money with the market, but that was never my idea. i had a great ammount of fun, especialy when people read my "menu" of the klyros snack bar :D.

too bad i had to care for something personal, so i was gone afk for almost 2 1/2h. (that's why i fell asleep ;P)

but still, i enjoyed every moment of this and i hope it will be at least same as good next 1st sunday]

maui

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 02:46:21 pm »
well i would like to enjoy the meal, if the people do not know how good are our meals i don't care for me is the best i hope that you gonna open the bar so i can get some good food

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 08:15:02 am »
Wow this sounds great.Hope next time i can participate.But once a month is sounding too far in between.Id say every two weeks.That would give both ample time to get new goods at a relaxed pace and not be so far as to become an event but rather a standard thing in the Yliakum life.

I also have a litle idea but i need to do a litle research first.Edit aproaching.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

maui

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 05:23:48 am »
the best would be every 2 weeks or as well 1 week in hydlaa and one week in ojaveda for the beggining then who know....

Josel Caldesen

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 01:58:24 pm »
the best would be every 2 weeks or as well 1 week in hydlaa and one week in ojaveda for the beggining then who know....

It would die out too easily, the first Sunday of every month is just right to keep interest.

Meredee

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »
Hey, once in a month is really seldom, why dont we make it once in two weeks? I am going to open a stand with hunted goods tomorrow in the evening and I hope that some merchants will join me :)
If you never try, you'll never know.

Edellin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 02:11:27 pm »
I also think once in a month is not enough. Two times would be perfect for me, and besides, why does it have to be always in Hydlaa? Why not the first sunday of the month in Hydlaa and the third sunday once in Ojaveda and once in Gugrontid?

I am planning to open my stand with weapons tomorrow, I hope more traders will follow.  :thumbup: