Author Topic: Developement in game progress in regards to Settings progress  (Read 2265 times)

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Developement in game progress in regards to Settings progress
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 11:34:59 am »
Yeah, but we didn't lose the history of those settlements either.  If these are mysterious ruins, then we would have to have forgotten they were there, and these are some pretty deep ruins.  A long time would have had to pass to cover them up and forget who and why they were built.  Maybe 700 years is enough.  I would tend to think based on the setting that it would have had to have been much longer.

Back on the textured dome and lighting.  Yeah, I could see where people would complain if the lighting was too dramatic, mainly because you have technical issues with darkness.  Maybe it could be solved much easier by renaming the crystal and dealing with it in the physics of the world instead of trying to make the game match it.  One thought I had would be to have the crystal pulsate over time (long periods, don't need strobe lights everywhere) where it changes color depending on the seasons.  A typical white light approach in Summer, maybe a bluish hue in Winter, greenish in spring, gray in fall.  Explain it by saying the crystal is in tune with the seasons of the surface world... where ever that is.... another one of those HUGE areas  you're going to have to work out sooner or later.  Nothing dramatic either, just subtle shadings to match what is being written.

And the texture... well, be it as it may.  I just think if the setting is a huge underground cavern in the middle of a massive stalactite, it would be much different than a cloud filled sky.  Nuff said.

Did someone mention farming on the top level?  So where are the farms? :)  (don't bother, we know they're coming).

But again, just discussing and throwing ideas out.  I am just going on because when I first read about PS I thought there was something unique here, but it seems to be taking a much more traditional MMORPG approach.  Lots of time to see it come back though.  Still 7 more levels to go.  \\o//

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 12:00:59 pm »
Changing the setting to match what the engine or art team can currently do, is completely illogical in a game at this stage of development - you have a setting and you build it, instead of building blindly and forming explanations after. Yes, not all the graphics match up right now. But the team is here to improve them.

With that said, I really cannot understand what you seem to want...
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 12:05:33 pm »
niko show me the fracking poll where anyone favors focusing on engineering please.

I do not want to see your personal agenda carried out through your post if it is to bear with it an insinuation that your view is the global view.

I don't have an engineer on my team and I think it is overkill to focus as much as you do on "engineering."

MustangNR what in the heck are you asking for? Do you read my replies at all? Why do you draw some linguistic distinction between settings and lore?

Settings Team as regards PS is Lore and More.

a la http://devcast.ps-mc.net/?p=5
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:22:41 pm by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Prolix

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »
Back to those ruins:
Freely speculating here, a luxury I can afford because I am not on the development team nor under an NDA. If indeed those ruins were a Black Flame stronghold, they may very well have been brought low by the actions of one or more gods and their obscurity may be mandated by heaven as well. Add to that the strong ties of the Black Flame to Chaos and entropy could have reduced them far quicker than would be expected. As far as we know they could just be the physical representation of their extent in this plane and once you manage to enter them you find yourself in a chaotic realm unlike any other.

I am not suggesting this is the plan for them, just that such an explanation would be consistent with the setting as far as I can tell.

I believe this discussion is really to try to pick out the whole from the incomplete set of the parts and to try to spur consideration of what new parts might need to look like to complete the picture as intended. In that it would seem similar to my thread about Thorian. Perhaps my comprehension is erroneous.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 12:20:26 pm »
The simple answer for those "ruins" you identify is this: They are not done being developed.

Taniquetil

• Hydlaa Resident
  • It's been real. It's been fun. It's been real fun.
    • View Profile
    • Zeitgeist (ty Sangwa)
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 12:25:02 pm »
Show 'em Xillix :D

I really don't see much point in free speculation at such an early stage. I mean, if you want to plan out the complete history of Yliakum, just join the settings team and actually implement it. Don't coach from the stands.
"Only two things are really infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the former."             ~Albert Einstein

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:36:14 pm »
niko show me the fracking poll where anyone favors focusing on engineering please.

I do not want to see your personal agenda carried out through your post if it is to bear with it an insinuation that your view is the global view.
That would be my posts i gues. Aww, i was just looking for that pool by skimming through the first 10 pages of genneral discussion and failed >o)
Deleted? Moved? Dreamed it up? ;D I hope not, heh.

Engineering covers really a lot of aspects. If someone asks for it, it is mostly about simple things you spot with the first glance of eye. I think noone of the pointing out focus on anything complicated.
If there is noone in the team with some knowledge about these matters, why won't you setting guys and girls listen to advices instead of discouraging people for being creative and trying to help? No need for taking everything as offences or malice arguing.

[mods edit: using the quote ability and then changing the user's original words makes me an angry moderator.  don't do it. --neko]
[The above is unjustified edit as I didn't change the quoted text in any way. It is the author of the quoted text who changed it afterwards i quoted it, what is really easy for figuring out. At least should be simpler than throwing accusations. --niko]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:25:06 pm by Nikodemus »

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 12:46:06 pm »
There are a couple of things to consider Niko, for one I find much of what you advise to be A) Vague or B) Impossible. 

If you want to grant advice in the constructive sense join one of our departments and work to build things that adhere to your sense of "engineering."

I am certain that we have a language barrier hurting our ability to understand each other.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 01:07:51 pm »
What do I want?  I thought I wanted free and open discussion.  Now... meh.   :-X

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 01:22:41 pm »
um . . . mustangnr what are you talking about?

Seriously, you discussed some things; I asked a question. Now you respond with some sort of echo of poor Dennis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434

Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Give it a rest.

Don't play the victim.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 01:33:03 pm »
There is no stifling or censoring of any discussion here - you're free to bring up any topic you want. It appears as though we do not agree on some points, and there is some confusion floating around on what some of those points are. Nevertheless, disagreement does not equal to irresolute stubbornness. If an idea or proposal is shot down, there is a reason for it.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 01:52:34 pm »
I'd rather just play.  This is getting too frustrating.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 06:12:04 pm »
All I am seeing is Dev: "This is why things are the way they are. There will be more as we build it." You: "No, that is not good enough."

Consider the Crystal to be a big florescent light. Your eyes adjust when you are in that light for a long time, self adjusting the colors. Why does the sky look blue? Maybe the gods made it that way to remind the races or themselves of above ground worlds. Maybe it is is because the Dome is made out of BLUE rock. Maybe it is because of gases clinging to the cavern roof that block the other colors and refract only blue. Maybe it is because Yliakum atmosphere is a lot Earth. How so? Let me demonstrate through the magic of pictures.

Why do the hills in this picture look blue in the distance while looking green in the foreground?

Why do the further mountains look more blue in this picture. In fact, why do they look blue at all when once you get up close they are not blue?

Oh look, MORE blue mountains that are not really blue.

The cavern roof is at -least- as far away at those pictures. Figure it out.

The ruins are there because Yliakum's past is not all sunshine and roses. Bad things happened. In a society such as Yliakum has with 98% peasants, the past is very easily forgotten... or buried.

If you want to roleplay a government official, go ahead. You will quickly find out why it can not be done without GM powers to back you up. And if one does use GM powers... that does not turn out well either. There is not a good system in place to handle a government of any kind besides the token NPCs we have now. Any attempt at a 'real' government presence right now would be half baked.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:20:53 am by Under the moon »

neko kyouran

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 06:20:21 pm »
moony's post makes me wish "the joy of painting" with bob ross was still on the air.

:whistling:

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 06:22:05 pm »
We could use more happy little trees. :(