Author Topic: Guide Lines On Guild Creation  (Read 2480 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Guide Lines On Guild Creation
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:39:21 pm »
This thread should help you create your guild and make it fit PS's setting, therefore making it able to live through PS's progress unhindered. After you have read the quick guide, check the following guide lines:

Step #1: What does "Guild" mean?
Definition taken from Dictionary.com: An organization of persons with related interests, goals, etc., esp. one formed for mutual aid or protection.
In planeshift the word "Guild" has a similar meaning and a person needs 5 members and 20000 trias to create one.

So, in the light of these definitions, we can safely admit that a guild in Planeshift should be a group of people who aid each other towards a common goal. These guilds are eligible to have their guild leader represented in Yliakum's government (after its implementation).
Some might choose to dismiss political aspirations and others yet can try to be exploitive.
Wichever the kind of guild, the creation process is normally a long but rewarding one. Planeshift's guilds are supposed to be long lasting entities with solid foundations rather than friend groups. In a guild everyone dedicates their efforts, whatever kind they are, to contribute for the guild and its guildmates; be they close friends or not.

Step #2: Your guild and Planeshift's setting.

It is obvious to assume that a Planeshift guild has to fit the Planeshift's setting. Planeshift's Official Site information should help you discern Planeshift's setting in a general way.

Read all the information you can about Planeshift in the website. Inform yourself about the history, government and Yliakum itself. This way you will know your limits and where you can stand on safely.

"Interact with maximum realism." Even though this is a fantasy setting, it has its own rules; it's singular reality. Attempt to keep from establishing referrences from or dependencies on alien data (ie Dragons, Allignment Systems, Vampires, Werewolves, Greek Gods, Tolkien's elven, etc.) If you are unsure if something fits, ask a Game Master, a Moderator or anyone in the PS Team.

Also, keep in mind what was said above about Yliakum's government. Guilds that endanger the Government should fear action from its authorities, guilds who wish to be elected should try to produce and contribute to the system and independent guilds should try to remain so, while not carrying any misfortune on themselves. It will contribute greatly to the roleplay atmosphere while it will keep us ready for the future of Planeshift.

After you've become familiar with Planeshift's setting you should create your guild's background, one which takes advantage of Planeshift's rich enviroment. Try to make it something original and harmonious with Planeshift. You don't want to go around saying your guild was handed to you by Talad himself, unless you plan on making a guild of madmen (because that is how people would look at you.)

Obviously the name is another important step. It should be appealing, symbolic or self-explanative and discriminative. Naming yourself "The Miner's Guild" proves a lack of originality and respect toward other mining guilds. "Tefusang Claw Miners Guild" will still be clear, plus distinctive.

Step #3: Goals.

Your goal may be possible within Planeshift's setting or it may not. Even in real life there are plenty of organizations that will not see their objectives met.
Still, the way you go towards your goals has to compatible with it, as your actions will include everyone you interact with. So keep this in mind and get fun objectives.

Your objectives should also define your guild. For this reason be sure to cast a gaze on the existing guilds' goals. That way you will know if you are creating something original, competitive or supportive.

Step #4: Guild Structure.

Your guild's structure should serve its goals, first of all.

Different guilds have different structures. Most guilds will have different ranks and then hierarchy rules may have to be planned (check Phinehas' thread for complete information). Other kinds of rules might be required, to attempt higher rentability from the members.
Your concern in this part is to have everything well explained. Your different ranks should have descriptions, in order to indicate what someone in that rank has to expect. Your rules should be clear and well pointed, so members can comprehend easily. Your hierachy should be well planned and then well explained.

There is not much else one can add, as structures should healthly differ from guild to guild.

Step #5: Presentation.

If you follow all the above steps you should have a well defined guild, ready to shine its glory all over Yliakum.

You might choose to present it to others, via a thread in the Forum. If you do so, make sure you're typing correctly and that you remember your grammar rules. This way your guild thread should have the quality necessary to interest its readers.

Your guild thread should contain the following information: Your Guild's Background, Rules, Ranks & Hierarchy, Goals and information about the sort of people you'd like to recruit. Informing about ranks isn't merely naming them. Try to provide a small description of them. You can also add other types of information at your own risk. All these should be posted in a clear and accessible way.

Trying to fit your whole guild into a thread can result in disaster. It's very useful to have a website where you can display detailed information and allow players to communicate with the guild and within it. This site should be well presented and allow an easy navigattion.

Handle the criticism well. Some people will point at your guild's flaws. These people will be doing you a favor, so respect them and change what you think you have to.

These are the guidelines I believe you should have in mind when creating your guild. This way Planeshift's progress will not come in your way, instead it will be your best friend.

Have fun. And tell me what you think about this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:13:29 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Guide Lines On Guild Creation
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:43:50 pm »
Too many threads I want to sticky xD Sangwa, if you would ever like to combine your guide with Aendar's and make "The One Guide To Bind Them All," that would be grand. You have always known your stuff.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 08:47:58 pm »
I think something about background story would be a good addition, perhaps under the "Settings" category (Step 2).

Oh also, I dont see why the Planeshift Quick Guide is linked to.. it doesnt have any guild information in it?  Its just a quick guide to planeshift in general.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:50:10 pm by ramlambmoo »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:50:40 pm »
Why, thank you. ^^

I actually read Aendar's thread before doing this one, ran through the critics and tried to merge with what I had. Still, I could try and get some more information from Aendar's thread an input it in here. If you could specify what extra information from it I'd need, it would be easier. Still, I may do it without that extra help. Right after I had my sleep. :P

Ramlambmoo: Thanks, I'll add the background information. About the quick guide: players should know how to be a player before thinking about doing a guild. Just thought it would point towards the need of knowing your way around as a player.

EDIT: Thanks for the merging Karyuu.

EDIT 2: I added information (last paragraph on Step #2) regarding Background and name choosing, things I had not covered and could be found in Aendar's thread. So now better information on "Defining Your Guild" (like Aendar had) is implented.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:20:44 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Torik

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:42:36 pm »
personally i like this one better than aenders. Im gunna sticky this in my mind  :P and bookmark it on my PC.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:00:03 pm »
I have revamped the thread (mostly the Presentation part). I added information I had skipped that was on Aendar's thread. It has been a reference of mine so big thanks to good old Aendar.

I believe the added information was quite important, so pretty please go through the trouble of re-reading step 5.

If there is anything (even typos and grammar flaws) that you think should be corrected, I ask you to please let me know. Don't be shy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:09:56 pm by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!

Phinehas

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:33:26 pm »
I'm just popping in to say that Sangwa rules and whatever he does is brilliant.

Byism aside, this is really a good guide. I especially like how you concentrate on letting them understand that they need to be a good player before they can start a good guild.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 10:10:50 am »
Thank you Phinehas.

I have made some minor adjustments, as to tune the emphasis on background and name selection.

Join the Dark Empire!