Author Topic: The Official Phase Two City Contest: Amdeneir  (Read 59801 times)

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Phase Two City Contest: Amdeneir
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 08:26:06 pm »
You guys are doing great! Keep it up! :)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 08:23:24 pm »
Ok looking great so far, one suggestion: in the most recent large screen shot of the city the houses seem repeated too often or are too closely knit on the map. Either have more variations in the house styles OR building types. You need to break up the images some so it does not seem like suburban track houses from our era. Some of this can be accomplished through the textures also of course.

You can break up the rows by adding a tree or a well or a statue here or there also.

I hope you can see what I mean.

Tremendous effort is here, I encourage all players to look at this work as the example of how we would like players to behave.

"Planeshift is not a product to be consumed, it is a project to be contributed to."

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:28:17 pm by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 09:41:38 pm »
Thank you Jeraphon, but I don't meet the age requirements. Yet. :)

And thanks Dajoji.

Xillix, I'm not sure if you saw this:
I'm going to add more variation between houses, but this shows what kind will go where.
By that I meant I would add more texture and model variation to spice it up a bit. :) I know it doesn't look right with the models as they are, but the Ylian style houses will go where I've put the Ylian houses, and the Klyros style houses will go where I've put the Klyros houses.
Hope that clears it up. :)

I'm glad you approve of our effort.

Right now I'm working on the temple, hospital, and tavern.

Thanks,
Zweitholou
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:08:57 pm by Zweitholou »

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 04:51:03 am »
Hi all :)

Now that I have a little more free time I've been able to start making some stuff again :)

Street Lamp:

Klyran Chairs:

Thin back for wings. There are engravings in the wood but they're a little difficult to see in the pics.

Bottles for tavern:

If anyone wants to make a label for a klyran drink bottle please go ahead :P I couldn't think of an imaginative enough name (though I think we came up with some names before hand didn't we?)

Feedback welcome :)

Laters,
Rast
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 07:21:18 am »
Keep up the good work guys, i really love what I'm seeing :)

@Rast
The chair's texture looks too "clean" for me. Maybe some scratches and some dirt here and there would make the chair look nicely vintage :) Just a thought.
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 08:11:41 am »

better? Still looks a bit like it's made of rock to me :/ Might completely re-texture at some point

Join in:
Klyro city project

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 09:40:43 am »
I encourage all players to look at this work as the example of how we would like players to behave.
Yeah, behave yourself players! ;P
* Nikodemus stops talking to himself ;D

thx for support Xillix

Yo Rast
great lantern, bottles and the chair.
The latest chair production is worse ;P
The point is not to apply to it rocky texture/layer, but to apply wood patterns. Yes, if you won't start a texture with these details in mind, you can looe them and will have t remake or apply them where they sould be. Look at my wooden beams.
The cracks are dark a lot and peaks are light. Of course a chair should be of somewhat smooth wood. Thats why your first production is quite good IMO.
Try applying to it contrast/brightness to decrease the blure effect, but also "clarify" filter for increasing the dark-light dfferencies.

A small object like a bottle can't have higher texture than 128x128 AFAIK. Yes, i know it will look bad from closeup... but its just the way to go.
* Nikodemus knows no Klyros beverages ;P

The Lantern should be 256x512 texture. I'm sure you can compact it to such dimenstions ;) See that some elements can be repeatead, one  texture piece taken into multiple places, by eg mirroring the UV coords - like the empty inside rectangle, i think.
Oh, the lantern itself element of the texture is too blurred. Don't try to make something from scratch if it isn't working. Use photos and process them. http://www.cgtextures.com/ if you like triangular dshapes, maybe you will make that lantern element trianglular shape, instead of squashed prism ;>
It's great design btw. Will look great on the streets.

But what you have done so far is far more efford than working on the above issues, if you are worried ;)

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 10:34:36 am »
Cheers for the pointers Niko:)

Will be able to solve most of the problems before too long (texture resizing, etc).

I haven't made wood textures in ages so I need to brush up on them a bit. The chair is the biggest problem atm so will try and improve the texture when I can. Brightness + contrast seems to be good from the quick bit of editting I've just done. Watch this space :P

Oh yeah - made some crates and stuff too :)

Cheers,
Rast

Join in:
Klyro city project

Nalain Tarek

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 03:21:51 pm »
the crates look odd, perhaps some rougher textures would make hem look better,

Poet, Scholar, Traveler, average guy.
Iers, Strathus, Devitus, me.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:21 pm »
Terrific work rast! I love the lantern design. The wood texture does look a little odd on the crates, but that's easily fixed. :)

Now I have to work hard to match your speed and finish the tavern so your models will have somewhere to go.

Here's the hospital, as far as I've gotten it:

I still have work to do on the tavern. I've almost finished modeling and texturing the exterior and I've started modeling the interior.

Hm, I don't remember any drink names we've already come up with, but I looked at The Klyros language in the PSwiki and came up with azulim, which means, if I'm translating correctly, shining flight. Somehow it makes me think of a drink. :) The PSwiki has the syllabic symbols.
Don't know if that's of any use. :)

Thanks,
Zweitholou

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 06:30:11 pm »
simple, the barrels are worn and the boxes are nearly new. In fact the boxes frame looks really new, while the planks  not necessarily.
Oh, i just thought you can possibly make the boxes even more unique, by curving the boxes wooden frame. A bit like i did with my tower beams.

Speaking about it,

It's finished. I have created as many seams as i thought it is worth to compromise uniquness with perfect seamlessing. But any problems are visible o really closeup.
It may seam some walls lack paint, but i need to go on and do that when there is time ;)
The resourcess has been updated, download is recomended for textures update. wall_am03.png will be finished when needed.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:57 am »
Niko, it's beautiful. I wish I could model and texture like that. Maybe with a little hard work. :)

Here are some variations I've come up with for the texture for the ylian style landing platforms houses:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:12:58 am by Zweitholou »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 09:20:19 am »
You may think about making the scale tiles at the left building roof to be nearly 2 times smaller maybe.
And maybe tile a texture a bit ? So you can have higher quality with the same texture dimensions.

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 06:51:00 am »
I know that you can reuse the same mesh in blender whilst using different textures by:
- linking an existing mesh to a new object (eg, add a cube and select an existing mesh for it)
- linking a material to the object (click the OB-button under materials, then select another material)

This way you can have several objects which use the same mesh (changes of the mesh reflect all the objects) and each of those objects can have a different texture.
However, blender2crystal doesn't support that (yet).

So, my question is: How do you do that? Do you simply copy the object (resulting in a new, independant mesh) and assign a new texture to it?

Sorry, if that's  :offtopic: ..maybe we need a seperate discussion thread.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 09:43:48 pm »
Those buildings are tight.

And also sweet.

Keep it up :)