Author Topic: Things every NPC should answer...but don't (add your own!)  (Read 10056 times)

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
You guys have been doing great sending me your top tens (both of you!) but now I'd like to focus on dialogue that every NPC should be able to answer. So tell me...what should every NPC know about that they don't already? Add to this thread! No need to PM: just write it here!

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Things every NPC should answer...but don't (add your own!)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:58:23 pm »
I havent been and checked all NPCs, and I doubt many have, so here is "What all NPCs should know, but may do already"

1: Trasok/harnquist (depending on Town, maybe regardless of town)
2: Where Hydlaa/Oja/Gugrontid/BD are located with general direction (maybe just have oja people direct to hydlaa then tell the player to ask when they get there if they wanted Gugrontid/BD?)
3: What/Who is Laanx/Talad.
4: Where are the sewers
5: Where is the Tavern (probably city dependant)
6: Which way is north ;o)
7: What time is it (im grasping at straws now ;op)
8: Where am I.

Maybe, and im not sure if this fits in with your plans, include some OOC info about the game? enclosed in [] of course. so:

9: how can the player get help [Use the Help tab of the chat box or ask around in game but remember to keep main chan IC] (maybe forum url and IRC info?)

I cant think of anything more, hope this helps though ;o)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:01:20 am by Pizik »
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:00:46 am »
3: What/Who is Laanx/Talad.
4: Where are the sewers

"Tell me about ____" seems to work with these, but I don't remember whether or not I tried "What/Who/Where is" in my exact phrasing.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:33 am »
One thing I'd like to note is please check to make sure they don't already know the answers to these things. I'm almost certain all Hydlaans know where the sewers are and just about everyone can tell you where you are.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:09:18 am »
10: Their trade ("who are you" seems to answer this, "tell me about work" returns a common line, "do you have a job" does the same as "give me a quest", but there's nothing to ask about the NPC's trade specifically)
11:  Rumors about NPC trainers, for example "I hear Percival Hawthorne is quite handy with a blade, and may be willing to teach you a thing or two!"

MrGadget

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:34 am »
I'll get more when I get the server back but last time I talked to Jayose he knew very little about the books in his library.  I would think that if you asked him "about ____" he should be able to tell you at least what shelf to look for a book on the subject.

MrG

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:25:18 am »
Quote from: Kaityra
So here is the task that will keep Rizin or any other Dev busy for the next ten years: Rework every quest-NPC in the game to allow them to answer to the things they mention.

And the best thing is, that the devs don't need our help to do this.

In addition: I usually thank NPCs if they give me something or do something for me. So I would like them to react to that, too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:56:04 am by Kaityra »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:25:28 am »
^ Tuxide: Could be trigger questions like "who trains ... / who teaches ... / who sells ... / who buys ... / who is ..."?

For example, I doubt any NPC in Hydlaa would answer me today on "Who is Talad priest?"; I can't check that right now, though.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

kougaro

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 04:48:52 am »
Every single npcs should know who is, and maybe have an opinion on : the Octarch of the Dome, the Vigesimi(s) (at least the one of their region),

Every npcs in  Akkaio should know "about the plague", "about the steel bazaar", and "about the accident" that possibly occured in it.

Taniquetil

• Hydlaa Resident
  • It's been real. It's been fun. It's been real fun.
    • View Profile
    • Zeitgeist (ty Sangwa)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:36:25 am »
1: give me money.
2: who am i?

no seriously, though:

I think every NPC should know other NPCs, at east the other NPCs in their town. For instance, if i was to say "Where is Edrich Sultov?" at least everyone in East Hydlaa should be able to tell me hs general area, such as "OVer by _____".
"Only two things are really infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the former."             ~Albert Einstein

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:04 am »
I think every NPC should know other NPCs, at east the other NPCs in their town.

Not neccessarily, as there are some NPCs, which would prefer to remain rather unknown, if you know what I mean...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 07:36:31 am »
If NPCs have relatives, they should know them. Except it is necessary for them in a quest to get surprised. It happened for a brief time that not every NPC with a relative knew then, while the Winch map was just introduced, and fresh NPCs were made as relatives to existing ones. I assume these issues did not repeat in Gugrontid.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

MrGadget

• Traveller
    • View Profile

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 01:15:02 pm »
Isn't it very rude to just say "about <whatever>"? If I were a NPC I wouldn't answer either.  :P In an advance state I would expect the NPCs to react to rude behaviour, too. Maybe up to the point where they call the guards or just don't talk to the character doing it anymore.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 02:04:58 pm »
Every single npcs should know who is, and maybe have an opinion on : the Octarch of the Dome, the Vigesimi(s) (at least the one of their region),

Every npcs in  Akkaio should know "about the plague", "about the steel bazaar", and "about the accident" that possibly occured in it.

These are the sort of things I'm looking for. I'm looking for things to put into the general database, to which every NPC should be able to respond in at least some fashion. If you want something that all 150+ NPCs will respond to differently (such as the relative location of other NPCs,) use the "Think NPCs are dumb? Click here!" thread. What I want to know is, what informational gaps are there?

Re: "about whatever." There are lots of ways to ask an "about whatever" question if you don't want to just use two words. "Tell me about whatever" is a popular one. While it might be rude to just say that, it at least works. After all, didn't the Ultima series make "Name! Job! Bye!" famous? Anyway, that's all  :offtopic: so let's focus on finding out what the NPCs don't collectively know and what they should. Thanks! :)